The earth is flat and we never went to the moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What!? Dave- I have seen the sunset. So have you. It doesn't gradually get distant. It sinks below the horizon. It does so if it sets behind a mountain, or if it sets over the sea. That is what it does. Everywhere. Go outside and take look tonight.

I even watched a flat earth video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Kl5T1Ob6M
that explains sunsets. It really did not make any sense.

It made sense to me and it does to a lot of other people.

Thank you very much for viewing a video for me and for this debate.

--Dave :salute:

chair

It made sense to me and it does to a lot of other people.

Thank you very much for viewing a video for me and for this debate.

--Dave :salute:

Dave,

Basically that video cheats. He does this "conclusive experiment" with a coin or a light on a flat table, showing how it "sets", just like the sun does on a flat earth. Except it only works if one is looking at the coin from a point below the table. So it could possibly explain a sunset viewed from a valley, but not one viewed from the beach or a mountain.

The "vanishing point" or "direction point" is a method used in painting to get the correct prospective. It does not mean that objects actually disappear in the distance.

In short- you've been "taken" by some charlatans who give pseudo-scientific reasons for this flat earth theory.

Dave, the idea of a spherical earth is not new. It was not made up by anti-bible atheists or something. Ancient Greek pagans understood this, before they knew of the Hebrew Bible. The New Testament hadn't even been dreamed of.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dave,

Basically that video cheats. He does this "conclusive experiment" with a coin or a light on a flat table, showing how it "sets", just like the sun does on a flat earth. Except it only works if one is looking at the coin from a point below the table. So it could possibly explain a sunset viewed from a valley, but not one viewed from the beach or a mountain.

The "vanishing point" or "direction point" is a method used in painting to get the correct prospective. It does not mean that objects actually disappear in the distance.

In short- you've been "taken" by some charlatans who give pseudo-scientific reasons for this flat earth theory.

Dave, the idea of a spherical earth is not new. It was not made up by anti-bible atheists or something. Ancient Greek pagans understood this, before they knew of the Hebrew Bible. The New Testament hadn't even been dreamed of.

I have been a graphic artist. I had classes on freehand, perspective, mechanical, and architectural drawing. I remember when the pencil ruled the world. I understand geometry as well.

There are more and better videos on this subject. I view many of them, I post what I think are the better ones.

I will view the video again as per your objections. But the after noon will be spent with my grand daughter because it's her birthday and with my son to also watch the Packer Giants football game.

The ancient world believed in a flat earth and a few Greek pagans were insignificant, if not the case, Copernicus would not have been significant.

--Dave

musterion

Admiral Richard Byrd saw land beyond the South pole. He called it an unexplored land mass as big as the United States, another continent.

Oh?

So where is it?

And how could he possibly have known at that time it was that big? Look at the attachment to see just how big Antarctica is.

And why don't airline pilots flying near the South Pole see this mysterious land mass too? They're MUCH higher than Byrd was...much better view.

You're just funning us, making this crap up as you go along.

musterion

Admiral Richard Byrd saw land beyond the South pole. He called it an unexplored land mass as big as the United States, another continent. Listen to him in this TV interview from 1950.

--Dave

I should have watched the video first and not have trusted your synopsis.

He was only talking about the far side of the Antarctic continent, Dave, relative to what at that time had been explored. That area had not yet been explored in the early '50s.

The guy who made the video is a liar and you're a liar for posting it.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
"There is left in the world today an area as big as the United States that's never been seen by a human being and that's beyond the pole on the other side of the South Pole from middle America." --Admiral Richard Byrd

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The idea that the world is flat is actually fairly recent. Do yourself a favor, and read a wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_flat_Earth

Flat Earth
The flat Earth model is an archaic conception of the Earth's shape as a plane or disk. Many ancient cultures subscribed to a flat Earth cosmography, including Greece until the classical period, the Bronze Age and Iron Age civilizations of the Near East until the Hellenistic period, India until the Gupta period (early centuries AD), and China until the 17th century. That paradigm was also typically held in the aboriginal cultures of the Americas, and the notion of a flat Earth domed by the firmament in the shape of an inverted bowl was common in pre-scientific societies...The ancient Norse and Germanic peoples believed in a flat Earth cosmography with the Earth surrounded by an ocean --Wiki

Do "me" a favor, and read a wikipedia article:

--Dave

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
"There is left in the world today an area as big as the United States that's never been seen by a human being and that's beyond the pole on the other side of the South Pole from middle America." --Admiral Richard Byrd

--Dave

if it's never been seen by a human being, how does he know it's there?

chair

Flat Earth
The flat Earth model is an archaic conception of the Earth's shape as a plane or disk. Many ancient cultures subscribed to a flat Earth cosmography, including Greece until the classical period, the Bronze Age and Iron Age civilizations of the Near East until the Hellenistic period, India until the Gupta period (early centuries AD), and China until the 17th century. That paradigm was also typically held in the aboriginal cultures of the Americas, and the notion of a flat Earth domed by the firmament in the shape of an inverted bowl was common in pre-scientific societies...The ancient Norse and Germanic peoples believed in a flat Earth cosmography with the Earth surrounded by an ocean --Wiki

Do "me" a favor, and read a wikipedia article:

--Dave

I did. What I read is that the ancients abandoned the flat earth idea thousands of years ago- with exception of the Chinese, who abandoned it later. Maybe it is time that you dumped it too?

By the way- what was Copernicus' revolutionary astronomical insight?

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dave has chosen to go beyond the moronic now.

Those are the exact words of a highly decorated United States Navy Admiral. He's the one you're calling moronic. So many of you cross t's and dot i's but never comprehend what's being said.

--Dave

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well, like I said, what isn't repeatable isn't science. You can do all the very same experiments and make all the exact same observations and measurments that Newton made and see it for yourself. They really aren't that complicated. It was a huge undertaking for Newton because he lived so long ago but with today's technology, it would be rather simple and inexpensive to recreate his experiments. Chances are there are people who have already done so and published it on YouTube.
Clete is right Dave.

You can figure this out for yourself.

All you need is a stick.

LINK to video.

john w

Hall of Fame
They dismiss God right out of the gate, they don't even worry about him having a son or his ability to resurrect him.

So, take a seat, Johnny.

:mock::darwinsm:

No, Jeffy, you/they employ the same argument. The difference is, atheists are usually not high, not stoned, and on purple microdot, like you are, fat, bald little junkie, when they argue.

Now-sit. You are largely quite irrelevant on TOL.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Clete is right Dave.

You can figure this out for yourself.

All you need is a stick.

LINK to video.

One cool way of doing the exact same experiment but with the help of modern technology is to use a GPS unit or use an iPhone app to determine your exact latitude. Then on the solstice, get a stick and take as careful a measurement as you can figure out how to make and then do the math and see how it comes out.

Also, you could do the math first and then take the measurement and see if the theory correctly predicts your measurement.

Another way to do it would be for both you and a friend in another city do the same measurement at solar noon (i.e. the shortest shadow of the day) on any day at all and then do the math based on the difference in your latitude vs. your friend's latitude. You could even use the internet to get a really good idea of when solar noon should happen at your location. You could also each take the measurements for several days and average your results to help eliminate human error.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Wikipedia on Polar flight plans...

Antarctica

Few airlines fly between cities having a great circle route over Antarctica. Direct flights between South Africa and New Zealand would overfly Antarctica, but no airline has scheduled such flights. LATAM Airlines flies nonstop between Auckland, Sydney and Santiago de Chile, Air New Zealand flies nonstop between Auckland and Buenos Aires-Ezeiza and Qantas flies nonstop between Sydney and Santiago de Chili, the most southerly polar route. Depending on winds, these reach 55 degrees south latitude, but other times 71 degrees, which is enough to cross the polar ice cap.

Depending on the winds, the Qantas flight QF 63 from Sydney to Johannesburg sometimes flies over the Antarctic Circle to latitude 71 degrees as well and allowing views of the icecap.

Status
Not open for further replies.