The earth is flat and we never went to the moon--Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This is why saying, "The earth is not moving because we cannot feel it moving" doesn't work.

You would be using the earth as a frame of reference to describe it's own movement.

It's circular reasoning, and confirmation bias to say that, "because we on the earth cannot feel it moving, therefore it does not move," because by definition, we are fixed to that which we are trying to describe the motion of.

There's no external frame of reference by which to define movement, therefore ascertaining whether the earth is moving using only a point on the earth's surface is impossible.

Again, by definition, all objects are motionless relative to themselves, but not to other objects (external F.O.R.).

An earth that was spinning at the surface 1000 to 600 mph would be impossible for us to live on.

There is no need of a reference point at that speed.

--Dave

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
From earth, or what ever planet we are on, we are motionless

No.

We APPEAR to be motionless.

while all the other heavenly bodies appear to be moving.

No. ALL heavenly bodies, including the one you're on, are moving. The object one is using as a frame of reference is arbitrarily designated as motionless.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
An earth that was spinning at the surface 1000 to 600 mph would be impossible for us to live on.

--Dave
This is just plain dishonesty.

The earth rotates once per day.

That means, that a point at the equator moves 24,901 miles per day. That's about 1521.7 ft/s, or 463.8 m/s.

That's not very fast at all considering the size of the earth.

Right Divider

Body part

That means, that a point at the equator moves 24,901 miles per day. That's about 1521.7 ft/s, or 463.8 m/s.

It's funny how he just throws things like that out without even the slightest explanation of what the problem is.

Dave left the realm of truth and science a long time ago.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
An earth that was spinning at the surface 1000 to 600 mph

This is incorrect, by the way.

At the earth's spin axis, the angular momentum is 0 mph.

At the equator, the angular momentum is ~1037.5 mph.

would be impossible for us to live on.

Why would it be impossible for us to live on?

--Dave

Saying it doesn't make it so.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I know what this thread is about because I started it so please pay attention to what I post.

--Dave
You are a hypocrite Dave. When I tried to discuss this topic with you, calmly and without name calling, you ignored me.

You are a hypocrite Dave. When Clete presented some compelling evidence for a view that opposed your's, you ignored it.

Why should we pay attention to what you post? You are a hypocrite.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is a parallel between Flat Earth arguments and Young Earth Creationist arguments. Specifically, the avoidance of dealing with inconvenient facts. YEC's don't like to hear this, but there is a parallel.
No, the parallel is between flat earth arguments and common descentists arguments. Specifically, the avoidance of dealing with inconvenient facts.

I do not intend to derail this thread. If anybody wants to start a YEC vs. FE comparison thread, be my guest. Maybe I'll join you.
Sure, start a thread and commit to answering in it. You won't. You always throw a couple snide comments and leave before anything can be established.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Not very fast???

"To make one complete rotation in 24 hours, a point near the equator of the Earth must move at close to 1000 miles per hour."

The speed of earth at the surface, if it is spinning, is not in dispute.

A jet flying at the speed of sound is what it would be like across America.

"Not very fast for a planet the size of the earth" makes me laugh. Maybe you said this to be funny. If you did, it's a good joke.

--Dave

Right Divider

Body part
Not very fast???

"To make one complete rotation in 24 hours, a point near the equator of the Earth must move at close to 1000 miles per hour."

"Not very fast for a planet the size of the earth" makes me laugh. Maybe you said this to be funny. If you did, it's a good joke.

--Dave
Once AGAIN, what is the problem?

The speed of the earth at the surface relative to what?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Not very fast???

About 1037.5 mph, actually.

If it were in a geosynchronous orbit above the earth, sure.

--Dave

Dave, you try turning around 360 degrees in 24 hours.

You'll be turning pretty slow too.

The only difference is the size.

What's the same is that whereas you're only about 2 feet wide (about a foot from spine to shoulder), the earth has a much larger radius of about 3,958.8 miles.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You are a hypocrite Dave. When I tried to discuss this topic with you, calmly and without name calling, you ignored me.

You are a hypocrite Dave. When Clete presented some compelling evidence for a view that opposed your's, you ignored it.

Why should we pay attention to what you post? You are a hypocrite.

I have said many times that there's good evidence for the spinning globe, but, it all comes from looking into outer space and what's out there rather than looking at the earth itself.

I have honestly said I can't counter many good arguments against flat earth, such as you, Clete, and others have presented. I prefer that both sides make their case and let everyone, including those who are following this debate to make up their own minds.

If you think I have ignored anything It's probably because I could not put down a written answer or offered a video that I thought did.

Flat earth exists as a possibility in my mind because of a number of contradictions that the heliocentric model presents us with.

--Dave

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Seriously???

The problem is the earth is not moving at any speed, 0 mph, when you're standing on it.

--Dave

Duh, Dave, because your speed relative to the earth is 0 mph.

Once again:

An external frame of reference is needed to determine motion. Relative to you standing on the earth, the earth is not moving. Relative to the earth, you are not moving. Relative to a car traveling down the highway you're standing on, both you and the earth are moving. Relative to the driver of the car, the car is not moving, but you and the earth are moving.

Motion is always RELATIVE to a frame of reference.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You have not presented any real "contradictions" at all. Only your opinions about what we "observe".

Saying anything that moves, on or above the earth, can "move" freely in any direction through the atmosphere but a spinning earth cannot (or does not) move through the atmosphere is a clear and obvious contradiction.

--Dave

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Saying anything that moves, on or above the earth, can "move" freely in any direction through the atmosphere but a spinning earth cannot (or does not) move through atmosphere is a clear and obvious contradiction.

--Dave

Dave, we just went through this.

The atmosphere is moving WITH the earth. It's motion relative to the earth (ignoring air currents, et al, for the moment for simplicity's sake) is 0 mph, just like your motion relative to the earth's surface while standing in one place is 0 mph.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Duh, Dave, because your speed relative to the earth is 0 mph.

Once again:

An external frame of reference is needed to determine motion. Relative to you standing on the earth, the earth is not moving. Relative to the earth, you are not moving. Relative to a car traveling down the highway you're standing on, both you and the earth are moving. Relative to the driver of the car, the car is not moving, but you and the earth are moving.

Motion is always RELATIVE to a frame of reference.

No one can stand on a car, or an earth, moving at 1000 mph!!!

Your relativity idea is not a picture of reality.

--Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.