the church

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
The Papacy is a very big structure to perch on one (albeit very significant) metaphorical statement. Are there other supporting scripture for Peter's supremacy over the Church and a succession flowing from him?

Jesus asked peter to feed His sheep -
three times

DavidK

Jesus asked peter to feed His sheep -
three times

This same instruction was given to elders in general. Although coming directly from our Lord does set it apart as special, I don't see any implication of exclusive authority in it. You do?

DavidK

the pope determines what is heretical

So when Pope Liberius I supported Arianism, it was no longer heretical for the duration of his support?

What about when the Catholic Church excommunicates their Pope due to heresy? Was it not heretical up until the point where he was excommunicated at which point he's no longer Pope and thus it becomes heresy again?

When a Pope declares a former Pope heretical, that means they must be, because the Pope decides what is heretical, but the former Pope wasn't heretical until the current Pope declared it?

Or when a Pope declares he, himself, was heretical. His heretical teachings weren't heretical until he decided later that they were?

DavidK

in my mind they do not apply -
I would not want to use them to validate my postion

They don't apply because they don't describe Jesus' expectations for the leaders in His Church?

Or because church teaching has determined them less weighty or important than other scripture?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
So when Pope Liberius I supported Arianism, it was no longer heretical for the duration of his support?

What about when the Catholic Church excommunicates their Pope due to heresy? Was it not heretical up until the point where he was excommunicated at which point he's no longer Pope and thus it becomes heresy again?

When a Pope declares a former Pope heretical, that means they must be, because the Pope decides what is heretical, but the former Pope wasn't heretical until the current Pope declared it?

Or when a Pope declares he, himself, was heretical. His heretical teachings weren't heretical until he decided later that they were?

the only thing that counts right now is what francis says -
he is in charge -
I will not address the past -
the past is yours to justify your position now

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
They don't apply because they don't describe Jesus' expectations for the leaders in His Church?

Or because church teaching has determined them less weighty or important than other scripture?

I'll go with door number two -
in fact your biggest problem is determining what is important

DavidK

the only thing that counts right now is what francis says -
he is in charge -
I will not address the past -
the past is yours to justify your position now

Okay, so the only thing that matters is what the Pope currently says. I get you.

If Pope Francis says today that what he said yesterday is heretical, then it is, but it wasn't at time. I suppose the answer to this paradox is, "Have faith, Jesus gave him the keys".

Is that about right?

DavidK

I'll go with door number two -
in fact your biggest problem is determining what is important

Jesus thought it important enough to discuss multiple times, and the apostles thought it important enough to write down and echo in their teachings to the early Church, but the Roman Catholic Church does not consider it important, so it's not? Or you don't think it's important, so it's not? Or am I completely misunderstanding?

If I'm not misunderstanding, I'm left with a hierarchical church structure telling me that the portions of scripture indicating Jesus and the apostles were against a hierarchical church structure are not important therefore we can focus on more important things and essentially ignore them.

There seems to be a conflict of interest here.