The Book of Revelation: Mystery Or Profitable?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Eph 1:3-6 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved.
On he omniscience of God:
1 John 3:20 in whatever our heart condemns us; for God is greater than our heart and knows all things.
Psalm 139:4 Even before there is a word on my tongue, behold O Lord, you know it all.
Matt 10:30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
Psalm 147:4 He counts the number of the stars; He gives names to all of them.
Hebrews 4:14 ANd there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do,
Isaiah 46:9-10 "Remember the former things long past, for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is no one like Me, declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things which have not been done, saying, 'My purpose will be established, and I will accomplish all My good pleasure.
All excellent examples of passages where the Calvinist reads their doctrine into the text.

None of these teach omniscience in the classical sense of the term.

Omniskeptical

BANNED
Banned
If such an argument can be made then do so.

Make the argument, Omniskeptical!

Fair warning: You might need to take the day off from work because it will require more than a single sentence response!
I just made the argument. Do I need to flip you the bird, so we can have better understanding?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I just made the argument. Do I need to flip you the bird, so we can have better understanding?
No, you made the claim. That isn't the same thing as making an argument. Arguments have premises and conclusions which logically follow from those premises.

In short, saying it doesn't make it so, Omniskeptical. Just showing up and stating as though it were a fact that if God isn't omniscient in the classical sense of the term then He "can be deceived, regardless of his supposed superiority" doesn't make it an actual fact.

Now, you said it could be argued, so argue it! What argument can be made that leads to that conclusion?

Let me guess!

You've got NOTHING!

Surprise me!

Clete

Arial

None of these teach omniscience in the classical sense of the term.
Omniscience means omniscience. It only becomes "classical" omniscience (therefore not valid I guess) if you need to change the clear meaning of the scriptures to fit some heresy.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
There is no such thing a infinite past time.

God existed throughout eternity past.

God created time. imagine that.

No, He didn't. It's not a thing to be created. @Clete can explain it better than I can.

So accuses the atheist?

Who are you talking about?

Whaddya know! I was right!

You weren't specific enough here. Too bad.

See? No argument presented, no explanation given. Just claims.

If God is not omniscient, it can be argued he can be deceived,

But you won't make that argument, will you?

I submit that it CANNOT be argued, because it's simply not true.

regardless of his supposed superiority.

Why do you think that if God were not omniscient, He couldn't determine the truth of a matter? Do you think such a God would be incompetent?

Because the God I believe in is OMNICOMPETENT, He can look at a man's heart/mind and know his thoughts before he even turns those thoughts into speech. He can know the desires of man. Yet He doesn't have to have all knowledge to be able to do that!

Also, It could be argued that as a trinity he doesn't exist or is not powerful enough.

You're gonna have to explain that one, because I'm not seeing the connection between "Triune nature" and "non-existence" or "lacking power."

I just made the argument.

You make lots of claims, but you have yet to present a single argument.

Do I need to flip you the bird, so we can have better understanding?

Keep talking like this and you WILL be booted from the forum, permanently.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Omniscience means omniscience.

Spouting tautologies won't help your case here, Arial.

It only becomes "classical" omniscience

"omni" = all
"science" = knowledge

"omniscience" = all knowing

It's a concept that originated with the pagan Greek philosophers, who believed that their gods were, because they were perfect, unable to change at all, thus, if their god changed (such as learning new information), then their god would cease to be perfect.

I recommend reading this article by Christopher Fischer, someone I met recently, and who has his own podcast.

(therefore not valid I guess) if you need to change the clear meaning of the scriptures to fit some heresy.

The heresy is that God cannot change (immutability), that He cannot be affected by his creation (impassible), that He is everywhere at once (omnipresent), that He has all knowledge (omniscient), and that He has all power (omnipotent).

What the Bible says is that God DOES change, He IS affected by His creation, that He learns, that He has given some of His power to some of His created beings, and that God does not have to be where He doesn't want to be, as there are places mentioned in the Bible where God is not.

Omniskeptical

BANNED
Banned
No, you made the claim. That isn't the same thing as making an argument. Arguments have premises and conclusions which logically follow from those premises.

In short, saying it doesn't make it so, Omniskeptical. Just showing up and stating as though it were a fact that if God isn't omniscient in the classical sense of the term then He "can be deceived, regardless of his supposed superiority" doesn't make it an actual fact.

Now, you said it could be argued, so argue it! What argument can be made that leads to that conclusion?

Let me guess!

You've got NOTHING!

Surprise me!

Clete
You mean like the end of Job proves nothing. I guess stupid will always win, because he is just that dumb.

Omniskeptical

BANNED
Banned
Spouting tautologies won't help your case here, Arial.

"omni" = all
"science" = knowledge

"omniscience" = all knowing

It's a concept that originated with the pagan Greek philosophers, who believed that their gods were, because they were perfect, unable to change at all, thus, if their god changed (such as learning new information), then their god would cease to be perfect.

I recommend reading this article by Christopher Fischer, someone I met recently, and who has his own podcast.

The heresy is that God cannot change (immutability), that He cannot be affected by his creation (impassible), that He is everywhere at once (omnipresent), that He has all knowledge (omniscient), and that He has all power (omnipotent).

What the Bible says is that God DOES change, He IS affected by His creation, that He learns, that He has given some of His power to some of His created beings, and that God does not have to be where He doesn't want to be, as there are places mentioned in the Bible where God is not.
God changes what he does, but it doesn't mean God's is mutable.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Omniscience means omniscience. It only becomes "classical" omniscience (therefore not valid I guess) if you need to change the clear meaning of the scriptures to fit some heresy.
I don't entirely disagree with you but I'm also ready to clarify my intent whenever anyone asks about why I phrase it the way I do.

I believe that God knows everything knowable that He wants to know and that there is nothing that can be hidden in a manner that is past His finding out. In that sense, it is not inaccurate to refer to God as being all knowing or "omniscient" so long as one is aware that this is not in keeping with the classical meaning of those terms.

Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
So you don't believe that time was created from what was not. Tell @Clete to prove it. I think he can't
It is not my burden to prove that something was NOT done, however....

God created the physical universe in six days. Time is not a physical thing, it is an idea. It's just an intellectual construct that we use to communicate information about the duration and sequence of events relative to other events. It does not exist ontologically and thus was not created.

Clete

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
God changes what he does, but it doesn't mean God's is mutable.

God doing anything is a change, therefore God is not immutable.

So you don't believe that time was created from what was not.

Time wasn't created, period.

Tell @Clete to prove it. I think he can't

Clete answered this already.

No, he created the Earth in six days. The ground and the elevations.

Scripture doesn't support you:

For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it. - Exodus 20:11 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus20:11&version=NKJV

Very unscientific and untrue.

Saying it doesn't make it so.

Explain ontologically. Time was created to make events possible for everyone.

God creating something for the first time wasn't an event itself? Do you see the problem yet?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber