ECT "The Body" 1 Corinthians

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
He is referring solely to the church, which is his Body.
As I read Ephesians 5 it seems very clear to me that we are justified in thinking of ourselves, the Body of Christ, as a lady, and that it is through marriage to the Lord that we are the Body of Christ, like how my wife is my body, because we are united together in matrimony. I think I understand your contention about being "in Christ," and that in this way maybe we are a man, except that I don't know how to then think about Ephesians 5. Is it that Paul describing our union with the Lord as being like marriage, is analogical but we shouldn't take it so literally? I am genuinely perplexed, not trying to trap you. :)

Not that I could.

Danoh

We're talking about the body of Christ; not the Godhead.

So while I would disagree over the terms we should use to describe Him, I think you're off topic.

My view that the body of Christ would be a male body seems unchallenged, especially given that such terminology makes it distinct from Israel, which is distinctly "she."

This is important in response to OP's search for answers on why Paul is "so focused on the body"; it is because he is overthrowing the pre-eminence of Israel.

Israel is also referred to by all other sorts of nouns; including the noun: son.

Case in point; their adoption - as a nation - is also one "of sons of God."

So, no, at this point I do not see that I was off topic.

Rather, that we are each where we each are in our level of understanding on one thing or another...at this time.

I, for, one; am fine with that :)

"Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand" - 2 Corinthians 1:24.

DAN P

ps.... you just quotes Galatians 3:8 but my question, and title of the post is the idea of the body in CORINTHIANS lol

Hi and in 1 Cor 12:13 says how a saved person enters the Body of Chhrist and Gal 3:28 says WHO these people are !!

There are other books that explain what it means to be " jn Christ !!

dan p

Tnkrbl123!

Hi and in 1 Cor 12:13 says how a saved person enters the Body of Chhrist and Gal 3:28 says WHO these people are !!

There are other books that explain what it means to be " jn Christ !!

dan p

oh thanks for the clarity. I appreciate the insights

DAN P

Hi and the one baptizer is also found in Eph 4:5 as it reads " ONE BAPTISM " but the Greek word is not BAPTISO , when looking at the Greek text !!

The Greek text says this " ONE BAPTISMA not BAPTIZO !!

BAPTISMA means some one who Baptizes and there is only one in the Dispensation of the Grace of God , and it is the HOLY SPIRIT !!

This same Greek word BAPTISMA , for the HOLY SPIRIT is also found in Rom 6:4 !!

dan p

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Dan, do you think that there is only one Christian faith?
Hi and the one baptizer is also found in Eph 4:5 as it reads " ONE BAPTISM " but the Greek word is not BAPTISO , when looking at the Greek text !!
Spoiler

The Greek text says this " ONE BAPTISMA not BAPTIZO !!

BAPTISMA means some one who Baptizes and there is only one in the Dispensation of the Grace of God , and it is the HOLY SPIRIT !!

This same Greek word BAPTISMA , for the HOLY SPIRIT is also found in Rom 6:4 !!

dan p

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Israel is also referred to by all other sorts of nouns; including the noun: son.

Case in point; their adoption - as a nation - is also one "of sons of God."
Do you have a passage for that?

I think the allegories used to refer to Israel as "the bride" make it clear it is not to be considered the same thing as "the body."

So, no, at this point I do not see that I was off topic.
You do agree that neither Israel nor the church are part of the Godhead, right?

Rather, that we are each where we each are in our level of understanding on one thing or another...at this time.
Sounds too much like "agree to disagree."

I, for, one; am fine with that :)

I prefer to be right, and to know if I'm not.

Danoh

No, Stripe, sounds like what it is based on...

Romans 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I prefer to be right, and to know if I'm not.
Very interesting, and I asked myself if this was my position as well, and I have to say that while I agree, I've come to see ideas promulgated by dumb people with great suspicion. I'm not prejudiced against the ideas, and I hold some ideas that are also what dumb people think, and I run the risk nonetheless, though I tread cautiously. But that's how I would answer the question. I don't prefer to be right always, but I do prefer to not believe what dumb people believe, because believing the same thing that dumb people believe is the hardest bias and prejudice to overcome. People write me off immediately when they hear something from me that sounds dumb to them, so it's a very unfortunate thing to conscientiously side with the dumb people on an issue. Prejudice against dumb people is an astoundingly potent evil. It's probably one of the gravest evils. Sometimes dumb people get it right. Even a million-to-one shot pays out every million times, and prejudice against dumb people means that that one time the dumb people are right, then who're really the dumb ones? Those prejudiced against dumb people, that's who. They are absolutely the absolute dumbest of all dumb dumb dumb dummies; those prejudiced against dumb people. A decapitation device can be thwarted by someone having to tie their shoe. "The dummy's tying his shoe; that probably means it's a dumb time to tie mine." Nope. If you lose your head because of this thought, You, are the dummy.

DAN P

Hi and the reason I commented on Gal 3:28 , is because in the the Body of Christ there are NEITHER MALE nor FEMALES as we ARE / ESTE , inChrist sin ARE / ESTE is in the PRESENT TENSE of CONTINUOUS action forever !!

dan p

Jerry Shugart

Hey so just looking for some academic Christian help on understanding some scriptures particulary about "the body" in Paul's letter to the Corinthians. The term "body" (Greek- soma) takes on a number of aspects, meanings, and references in this letter.

Greetings Tnkrbl123! Let us look at this passage:

"For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit" (1 Cor.12:12-13).​

By the context we can understand that the Body is the Body of Christ (v.27). The following passage illustrates the Christian's position in the one Body:

"Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus"
(Eph.2:5-6).​

The believers of the present dispensation are completely identified with the lord Jesus, and that includes His death. Our identification with Him is so comolete that we read this:

"If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory"
(Col.3:1-4).​

Lewis Sperry Chafer understands that the Body of Christ is a heavenly entity, and not earthly at all:

"The Church is composed of all nations, including Israelites, and sustains no citizenship here, but instead the believers are strangers and pilgrims...every covenant or promise for the Church is for a heavenly reality, and she continues in heavenly citizenship when the heavens are recreated"
[emphasis added] (Chafer, Systematic Theology, IV:47-53).​

Sir Robert Anderson says, "The only true Church is that which the Lord is building, and it has no corporate existence upon earth...The Body of Christ is not on earth, nor can it have a corporate existence until the Divine purpose respecting it has been fulfilled" [emphasis added] (Anderson, Forgotten Truths, pp.79,99).