The Bible + Religion = Confusion

Robert Pate

Banned
Matthew is the culprit here. He was intent on finding arcane references to a hope in a messiah and taking the Hebrew Bible out of context to "prove" Jesus was "predicted" all along and the Jews were simply wrong about him.

His taking things out of context has been studied again and again and is freely available for any believer's Bible study.

I am afraid that you do not know what the Gospel is.

It is not Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

It is that work that Jesus did that justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:19.

Buzzword

Catholicism is the practice of worshipping the creature instead of the creator.

tumblr_nrg19a3xEd1qz9bu3o1_500.jpg

Robert Pate

Banned
Straw Man Fallacy (Ex. 20:16; Prov. 19:5).

Catholics "worship" neither. You're either ignorant or lying---which is it? :think:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

You would have to be deaf, dumb and blind to not see how Catholics worship Mary and the pope.

Are you going to kiss the popes foot when he arrives?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Every appearance of spirituality and the holy decays through time.

In ancient Sumer, the pattern over the centuries was

1. The gods rule
2. The gods rule through me
3. And finally I RULE !!!.

Christianity has followed the same pattern
1. Jesus spoke
2. His later followers "explained" and adapted what he meant and thus subverted his intentions
3. And now we have a religion Jesus would have rejected.

Cruciform

You would have to be deaf, dumb and blind to not see how Catholics worship Mary and the pope.
It should be easy, then, for you to document and demonstrate your claim that "Catholics worship Mary and the Pope." Go ahead, then, and post your proof for this wholly unsubstantiated assertion.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Last edited:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I have no religion.

You are the one that has embraced the doctrine of a heretic.

This is why you are so confused.
If you have no religion, why are you denouncing a Christian as a heretic who has strayed from doctrine? You are engaging in a typical believer's response to information that you don't like. Christians and Muslims do this very, very often.

Buzzword

Every appearance of spirituality and the holy decays through time.

In ancient Sumer, the pattern over the centuries was

1. The gods rule
2. The gods rule through me
3. And finally I RULE !!!.

"It is a short distance from 'God's way is my way' to 'My way is God's way'."
-Brian McLaren, Adventures in Missing the Point

Christianity has followed the same pattern
1. Jesus spoke
2. His later followers "explained" and adapted what he meant and thus subverted his intentions
3. And now we have a religion Jesus would have rejected.

"Christianity started in Israel; was exported to Greece, where it was made into a philosophy; taken to Rome, where it was made into an organization; sent to Europe, where it was made into a culture; and sent finally to America, where evangelicals made it into a business enterprise."
-Tony Campolo

If you have no religion, why are you denouncing a Christian as a heretic who has strayed from doctrine? You are engaging in a typical believer's response to information that you don't like. Christians and Muslims do this very, very often.

Yep.

"How often the Christian church’s ability to accomplish good is diminished by our infighting. What if all 224 million Christians in America were actually working together to shape a nation that looks like Jesus’ vision of the kingdom of God, where poverty does not exist, where people practice justice, where love of neighbor is universally practiced? But this will never happen. We are too busy ‘straining gnats.’"
-Adam Hamilton, Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White

Dona Bate

Catholicism is the practice of worshipping the creature instead of the creator.
Its true, they worship their religion.* Not to mention Mary or the pope.
Robert Pate insults the Lord's Blessed Mother Mary and then he somehow expects to be given a free pass into heaven?

Will the Lord Jesus Christ honor His own Blessed Mother (Exodus 20:12) or be a hypocrite and ignore Mr Pate's outrageous insult against her.

Just like everything else that Mr Pate erroniously believes, he's got that wrong too.

The Lord Jesus Christ is most definitely NOT a hypocrite Robert Pate!

WOW!!!! The PC screen just shuddered for about 30 seconds as I finished that last line. I've never witnessed any like that on hundreds of PC screens I've worked with in over 30 years experience. I feel somehow I should let you know that Robert Pate!

God Bless!

Robert Pate

Banned
Robert Pate insults the Lord's Blessed Mother Mary and then he somehow expects to be given a free pass into heaven?

Will the Lord Jesus Christ honor His own Blessed Mother (Exodus 20:12) or be a hypocrite and ignore Mr Pate's outrageous insult against her.

Just like everything else that Mr Pate erroniously believes, he's got that wrong too.

The Lord Jesus Christ is most definitely NOT a hypocrite Robert Pate!

WOW!!!! The PC screen just shuddered for about 30 seconds as I finished that last line. I've never witnessed any like that on hundreds of PC screens I've worked with in over 30 years experience. I feel somehow I should let you know that Robert Pate!

God Bless!

Mary was a sinner. She said, "My Spirit will rejoice in God my savior" Luke 1:47.

She was born after Adam just like everyone else.

You PC screen is about to go out.

Hawkins

Humans can speak from multiple perspectives when facing different audience under different situations.

Who built the Statue of Liberty?

The answer can well be "the american", "the french", "the architect", "the construction workers".

They are not contradictions. They are the different perspectives humans may use in different dialogues.

And before a human speak, he will evaluate how much his audience understand such that he will avoid what he thinks that his audience don't understand until its inevitable. The contents as well as perspectives used may be a bit different if the audience are different.

In terms of witnessing, it's expected that Matthew and Luke may present things a bit differently as their audience are basically not the same. Matthew added the contents only the Jews may have a grasp on what is said and why it is said so. Luke presents in a more formal way as when the testimony was drafted, it's for reporting to a Roman high rank official. In his mind however, it may be more than just for reporting to the official, he may make use of it as a testimony reaching the mass majority of both gentiles and Jews later on.

Hawkins

A religion acts as a reliable vessel for an important message (truth) to pass along the line of humanity. The method employed to pass such a message is called human witnessing. This is the most efficient way for a truth to be conveyed among humans as long as God has a strong reason not to show up to humans in majority. There's no other way round.

1. Not all religions have a strong reason for their gods to hide behind. If a god is much more superior than humans and he cares about humans he should show up publicly to guide humans.

The strong reason for the Christian God to hide behind is that all humans are bound to a covenant which everyone requires faith in order to be saved. God shows up to everyone simultaneously means no one can be saved.

On the other hand, if God doesn't show up to anyone, then no humans can get to know who God is. No humans can know what are God's requirements set forth for humans to follow.

The only way which works for a hiding God to make Himself known to humans, to make His requirements known to humans is to show Himself up to a small group of direct witnesses (explicitly His prophets and chosen witnesses), and for them to write about Him and what He wants then for others (humans in majority) to believe or not.

There's no other way round for such a truth to be conveyed.

2. Now which God can explicitly name this method of conveying truth?

Multiple accounts of witnessing, witnesses, prophets being explicit called God's witnesses, emphasizing on no false witnessing allowed, these are all unique characteristics of Christianity.

No other gods can be true in this perspective.

Moreover, no witnessing can be made more valid than those who martyred themselves for what is said and done. Today we have photos and videos in supporting our witnessing though.

What matters is not who claimed the deity, what matters is how the claimed deity chose to convey his messages deemed important. He's conveying in an efficient way humans can't think of, plus that there's no better way round for such messages to conveyed, then He's God.

Buzzword

Humans can speak from multiple perspectives when facing different audience under different situations.

Who built the Statue of Liberty?

The answer can well be "the american", "the french", "the architect", "the construction workers".

They are not contradictions. They are the different perspectives humans may use in different dialogues.

And before a human speak, he will evaluate how much his audience understand such that he will avoid what he thinks that his audience don't understand until its inevitable. The contents as well as perspectives used may be a bit different if the audience are different.

In terms of witnessing, it's expected that Matthew and Luke may present things a bit differently as their audience are basically not the same. Matthew added the contents only the Jews may have a grasp on what is said and why it is said so. Luke presents in a more formal way as when the testimony was drafted, it's for reporting to a Roman high rank official. In his mind however, it may be more than just for reporting to the official, he may make use of it as a testimony reaching the mass majority of both gentiles and Jews later on.

Okay, I get most of your points here, but in what way is Luke's Gospel "formal"?
His Christmas Story has everyone breaking into song!

Matthew's was more "formal" in its tone and the information included and focused on Jesus' words to his Jewish followers.
Mark's focused on the actions of Jesus more than the culture or location in which they occurred.
Luke's was essentially a letter to a non-Jew, so his wording and choice of recorded events revolve around Jesus as a universal savior rather than a Jewish Messiah.
John's...is more a theological discussion than a biography.

Hawkins

Okay, I get most of your points here, but in what way is Luke's Gospel "formal"?
His Christmas Story has everyone breaking into song!

Matthew's was more "formal" in its tone and the information included and focused on Jesus' words to his Jewish followers.
Mark's focused on the actions of Jesus more than the culture or location in which they occurred.
Luke's was essentially a letter to a non-Jew, so his wording and choice of recorded events revolve around Jesus as a universal savior rather than a Jewish Messiah.
John's...is more a theological discussion than a biography.

You don't read the Bible, do you. Matthew is more like a story teller. Read some commentaries to get to know. Say, the virgin story can only be found in Matthew, and only the Jews can get a grasp on its presentation. So is the Magi story.

popsthebuilder

Using common sensical and historical methodology, we must then acknowledge that Caesar was also LITERALLY "Savior of the whole world." Like Jesus, the opinions of what every Roman citizens thought he was were well known.

The divinity of Caesar was carved into the temple walls and architecture and stamped on the coins.
Pretty sure that's dictatorship.

popsthebuilder

Straw Man Fallacy, since Catholics do not claim or teach that there is "something wrong with the Bible." Try again.

The phenomenon of Protestantism itself directly refutes your claim---50,000+ competing and contradictory denominations and sects all claiming that their novel doctrines come from the "clear concise" Bible, yet all in fundamental conflict regarding even the central and defining teachings of the Christian faith.

In addition, the Bible itself indicates that Scripture is certainly not always "clear and concise" (2 Pet. 3:16).

Of course, your statement here merely begs the question in favor of the 16th-century Protestant notion of sola scriptura, a claim that is itself entirely unbiblical, and so which directly refutes itself. So much for the supposed "problem" mentioned above.

No other writings that we consider "Scripture," however.

A false statement on your part. (See just above.)

See my answer on sola scriptura above.

On the contrary. Try again.

Again, too bad that your claim here is itself nowhere taught in the Bible, and so merely refutes itself (see above on sola scriptura).

Ah, you must be referring to such bogus Protestant beliefs as, for example, sola scriptura, Baptism as a mere memorial, anti-sacramentalism, sola fide, the Eucharist as a mere memorial, etc.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
Don't most Catholics consider Mary to be the mother of GOD? Also don't they also refer to the Son of God as God the Son?

Neither of these or in Scripture. They are actually pagan beliefs referring to the Sun and the moon.

popsthebuilder

It should be easy, then, for you to document and demonstrate your claim that "Catholics worship Mary and the Pope." Go ahead, then, and post your proof for this wholly unsubstantiated assertion.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
Both the Pope and Mary are considered intercessors or moderators between man and God. Not to mention that were responsible for most of the wars and violently robbing and pillaging and killing and converting the entire world almost through the Crusades not to mention they're responsible for the Holocaust let's not forget that all the money that they stole the Horde as opposed to giving it as the teachings of Christ state to do