The Bible is not a maths textbook

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
My 4th grade reading of this says that the question is about parables, which your answer ignores.

Here it is again. Did or did not Christ ALWAYS speak to them ONLY in parables?

Matthew 13:34 All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:

Yes that means exactly what it says. When Jesus spoke to the multitudes he spoke in parables only.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
It may seem obvious when we search scriptures containing the word "all" that in most cases this does not mean "all" with the exclusion of nothing.

But folks read scriptures like the following, and then assume that with God "all things are possible", including foretelling the future in detail. Or that God "knoweth all things" means he knows the future too.

1 John 3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth ALL things.

Matthew 19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God ALL things are possible.

So with these two scriptures they insist on the strictest possible application of "all" realising that with most scriptures, "all" is much more loosely translated.

I know your stuck on the 4th grade theme now, but ALL for God means just that.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I believe every word the Bible says as I rightly divide the word of truth, literally unless context says otherwise. If you nit pick scripture for all inclusive words, that seems odd.

I do think your thread and this subject would get much more response and you would get better answers from the KJVO Battle Royale discussion thread. Ya know what they call a quarter pounder in France ?

iouae

No human being, even PJ, takes the Bible literally literal. Nobody believes Jesus is a door, made of wood and has hinges.

Christians are described variously as sheep, branches, parts of the body, slaves, servants, sons, brothers, virgins, parts of a temple, and the bride of Christ. Of all the analogies, I think quite a few Christians prefer to think of themselves almost literally as the bride of Christ. That relationship seems most equal, so they prefer that to being a slave.

Then one comes across the Biblical mathematicians/magicians who come with arguments like the following...

1. John 15:5 ... for without me ye can do nothing.
2. Worshipping Baal is something
3. Without me you cannot worship Baal.

The logic is sound IF one uses "nothing" unnaturally to mean "not one thing excepted".

Generally we don't have a problem with words such as "nothing". In our heads we think "for without me ye can do nothing (of worth)".

iouae

I believe every word the Bible says as I rightly divide the word of truth, literally unless context says otherwise. If you nit pick scripture for all inclusive words, that seems odd.

I am not 100% sure what you believe, but I think we are on the same page. If it is at all possible to take it literally, then one takes it literally. If not, then one looks at the way words are commonly used.

Although all scripture is given by inspiration, God allowed common men to pen it, and they used the language as they themselves commonly used it. And we ALL know that when we say "You are ALWAYS late" we do not mean it literally, without exception.

A perfect example of this is how Paul chides the Cretians.

12 One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, the Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies.

13 This witness is true.

Not EVERY Cretian was a liar and full of $h!+

iouae

Yes that means exactly what it says. When Jesus spoke to the multitudes he spoke in parables only.

But we have plenty of examples e.g. the Sermon on the Mount where Christ spoke to the multitudes not only using parables.

I think what that verse is saying is that when he spoke to the multitudes he always used parables. This way it does not restrict Him to parables only.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
But we have plenty of examples e.g. the Sermon on the Mount where Christ spoke to the multitudes not only using parables.

I think what that verse is saying is that when he spoke to the multitudes he always used parables. This way it does not restrict Him to parables only.

That particular verse was about that specific single multitude

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I am not 100% sure what you believe, but I think we are on the same page. If it is at all possible to take it literally, then one takes it literally. If not, then one looks at the way words are commonly used.

Although all scripture is given by inspiration, God allowed common men to pen it, and they used the language as they themselves commonly used it. And we ALL know that when we say "You are ALWAYS late" we do not mean it literally, without exception.

A perfect example of this is how Paul chides the Cretians.

12 One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, the Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies.

13 This witness is true.

Not EVERY Cretian was a liar and full of $h!+

Maybe every one that Paul knew or heard of was.

URBAN DICTIONARY:
cretan
Someone who is an idiot and lacks gravitas.
My brother is a cretan and suffers from cretanism and low levels of gravitas.
by GPA April 14, 2006

iouae

That particular verse was about that specific single multitude

You may have a good point there because without exception, that speech is all parables.
And to lend credence to your point, Christ ends with...

58 And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.

And he quotes Isaiah who said they would not believe, and parables seem to be connected somehow to a way of speaking to unbelievers.

14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

iouae

Maybe every one that Paul knew or heard of was.

URBAN DICTIONARY:
cretan
Someone who is an idiot and lacks gravitas.
My brother is a cretan and suffers from cretanism and low levels of gravitas.
by GPA April 14, 2006

I did not know we got the word "cretan" from Cretian. These guys seem to have always had a bad reputation.

But its one thing saying all the ones Paul met were full of $h!+
but some Bible literalist today is going to take that literally and INSIST that each and every Cretian past, present and future is full of $h!+ since it says it in the Bible.

Now that would be just wrong.

iouae

I don't think anyone would insist that this verse means literally "all". That would make humans omniscient. One would have to add another half a sentence to this verse for it to mean what I think it is saying viz. "ye know all things (that are necessary for salvation)".

1 John 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't think anyone would insist that this verse means literally "all". That would make humans omniscient. One would have to add another half a sentence to this verse for it to mean what I think it is saying viz. "ye know all things (that are necessary for salvation)".

1 John 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

Come up with a better one. Like the first 2 chapters of Genesis.

iouae

Come up with a better one. Like the first 2 chapters of Genesis.

OK. Is it possible in one day to name ALL animals?

Genesis 2:20 And Adam gave names to ALL cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

Did God say that ALL flesh is good to be eaten?

Genesis 9:3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

GuySmiley

Then one comes across the Biblical mathematicians/magicians who come with arguments like the following...

1. John 15:5 ... for without me ye can do nothing.
2. Worshipping Baal is something
3. Without me you cannot worship Baal.

The logic is sound IF one uses "nothing" unnaturally to mean "not one thing excepted".

Generally we don't have a problem with words such as "nothing". In our heads we think "for without me ye can do nothing (of worth)".
That example is actually true when taken literally. Bad example for you. Like the branches, we would not exist without God. So, yes, without God, we couldn't worship Baal.

way 2 go

I did not know we got the word "cretan" from Cretian. These guys seem to have always had a bad reputation.

But its one thing saying all the ones Paul met were full of $h!+
but some Bible literalist today is going to take that literally and INSIST that each and every Cretian past, present and future is full of $h!+ since it says it in the Bible.

Now that would be just wrong.

The NEW-UPDATED 10 TOL Commandments link

1. Thou SHALL NOT use profanity or insinuated profanity on this forum. Crass potty humor is also discouraged here at TOL.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
You should take it up with Paul since he called the Cretians "slow bellies". What is that other than full of $h!+ ?

Titus 1:12 One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, the Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies.

aeiou and sometimes y

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Games Word of the Day Video Blog: Words at Play My Faves
POPULARITY

SAVE
Dictionary
slowbelly
noun
plural slowbellies
Definition of SLOWBELLY

: a slothful person
: a heavy indolent glutton : hog

iouae

Games Word of the Day Video Blog: Words at Play My Faves
POPULARITY

SAVE
Dictionary
slowbelly
noun
plural slowbellies
Definition of SLOWBELLY

: a slothful person
: a heavy indolent glutton : hog

One learns something new every day on TO.

And there I was taking Paul LITERALLY when he called the Cretians slow bellies. They were not just slow bellies, but slow everything. I stand corrected.