the apocalypse

Hearmyvoice

Why should I.. they are opened to interpretation.

The fact is that John said these things are 'soon' to happen. I highly doubt that soon in his mind was 2000+ years.

Then there is the fact that Jesus said that some of his audience would still be alive when returned to fulfill all prophesy.

So, either you believe them or you do not. I have confidence that I can take those two people at their word... why cant you?

Jesus didn't say "all prophecy" would be fulfilled when some of those He spoke to would see Him in His kingdom. When did Jesus come in His kingdom? What, or who, is His kingdom in which he dwells?

Matthew 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in His kingdom.

2 Corinthians 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.​

Consider too that the words, "must shortly come to pass" doesn't mean will happen immediately but rather will happen quickly when it begins and that of the prophecies given they would happen over time or, as He said, "hereafter."

Revelation 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto His servants things which must shortly come to pass; and He sent and signified it by His angel unto His servant John:

1:19 Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;​

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
so how is this working out for you?

I like it so far

why?

some are just interested in certain topics of the apocalypse

so you get more responses?

I think so and it is a good way to locate them

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
so you are big fan of history

we can't ignore it

some do a pretty good job of it

everyone has an agenda

what is yours?

to get answers

so you ask questions

it is the only way to learn

they don't like your questions

that is their problem

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
so how long have you been working on this?

17 years

how long have you been on tol?

9 years

so you came here to share all this with us?

yes

you must have been disappointed

yes

are you still disappointed?

I am having a good time

nice to hear that

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
so are you almost done with this?

I'll never be done with this

even though very few are interested in it

as long as I am interested in it

what good will come of it?

a better understanding of scripture

that's pretty good for a catholic

thank you, thank you very much

what is the official catholic position on the apocalypse?

there really isn't one but most take the spiritual view of it

that being?

non literal and non historical

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
so what are you doing?

just taking a break

that's not like you

well I was disrupted

was it necessary?

I don't think so

so now you have more time on your hands

and that is a good thing

how are you using it?

getting back to research

back to the books?

finding a lot of stuff on the internet

are you going to share it with us?

only if I can make some sense of it

False Prophet

Why are the visions considered to be from God?
The Bible is supposed to come from God, so one would naturally assume that the visions come from God.
1After these things I saw, and behold, a door opened in heaven, and the first voice that I heard, a voice as of a trumpet speaking with me, one saying, Come up hither, and I will show thee the things which must come to pass hereafter. Rev 4
Key words here are: must come to pass hereafter; meaning future tense. John stands before the throne of God, so who else could be speaking to him but God?
20Behold, I stand at the door and knock: if any man hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. 21He that overcometh, I will give to him to sit down with me in my throne, as I also overcame, and sat down with my Father in his throne. Rev 3
Revelation opens up with letters to churches. Presumably Revelation was a letter to these churches.
The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show unto his servants, even the things which must shortly come to pass: and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John; verse 1
This is the opening of the book. It was a revelation of Jesus Christ that came from God. These things must shortly come to pass. It was shown to Christ's servant John, so many assume that this is the beloved apostle John who wrote the Book of Revelation.

False Prophet

John sent the letter to the seven churches of Asia Minor: Ephesus, Smyrna, well let me paste it since I found it:
What thou seest, write in a book and send it to the seven churches: unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamum, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea. Rev 1:11
John said behold him who comes with the clouds, and this was to shortly come to pass; however two thousand years have passed, and it is yet to come to pass.
1.Ephesus (Revelation 2:1-7) - the church that had forsaken its first love (2:4).
2.Smyrna (Revelation 2:8-11) - the church that would suffer persecution (2:10).
3.Pergamum (Revelation 2:12-17) - the church that needed to repent (2:16).
4.Thyatira (Revelation 2:18-29) - the church that had a false prophetess (2:20).
5.Sardis (Revelation 3:1-6) - the church that had fallen asleep (3:2).
6.Philadelphia (Revelation 3:7-13) - the church that had endured patiently (3:10).
7.Laodicea (Revelation 3:14-22) - the church that was lukewarm and insipid (to God) (3:16).

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
there seems to be more interest in the apocalypse

I think it is a sign

what does it say?

the end is near

it has been that way for a long time

many are just not ready

what can you do?

ignore the past

does that really help?

it works for most here

what is this thread all about?

look at the opening post

can you give us a link?

to make it easier for you?

that is what amr would do

okay here it is

the apocalypse

False Prophet

Who were the Nicolaitans?
But this thou hast, that thou hatest the works of the Nicolaitans, Rev 2:6
So hast thou also some that hold the teaching of the Nicolaitans in like manner.
Rev 2:15
One thing about the last book: these things were supposed to take place soon, but it has been two thousand years. Every succeeding generation has been able to paste their world events to this book, and claim that these things are about to come to pass.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Who were the Nicolaitans?
But this thou hast, that thou hatest the works of the Nicolaitans, Rev 2:6
So hast thou also some that hold the teaching of the Nicolaitans in like manner.
Rev 2:15
One thing about the last book: these things were supposed to take place soon, but it has been two thousand years. Every succeeding generation has been able to paste their world events to this book, and claim that these things are about to come to pass.

also
who is antipas?
no one seems to know anything about him

False Prophet

Many Christian traditions believe Saint Antipas to be the Antipas referred to in the Book of Revelation (Revelation 2:13) as the "faithful martyr" of Pergamon, "where Satan dwells". According to Christian tradition, John the Apostle ordained Antipas as bishop of Pergamon during the reign of the Roman emperor Domitian. The traditional account goes on to say Antipas was martyred in ca. 92 AD by burning in a brazen bull-shaped altar used for casting out demons worshiped by the local population.

There is a tradition of oil ("manna of the saints") being secreted from the relics of Saint Antipas.[3] On the calendars of Eastern Christianity, the feast day of Antipas is April 11.

False Prophet

Nicholas is mentioned in Acts as going forth from the apostles, but it is not clear whether he started the sect of the Nicolaitans or what their doctrine was.
And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolaus a proselyte of Antioch; 6whom they set before the apostles: and when they had prayed, they laid their hands upon them. 7And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem exceedingly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith. Acts 6:5

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
do you have an overall view of the apocalypse?

that is what I am trying to present here

can you summarize it?

it is the history of man

can it help us?

only if you want to know

is it necessary?

only if you are lost

do you mean confused?

it may be the same thing

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Ah, ok.

Maybe because all 3 had the same vision...kind of like confirmation it's from God?

Posted from the TOL App cause that's how I roll.

There is only one Apostle John, and he wrote the Gospel of John, the little epistles (I, II, III) of John, and Revelation.

All were inspired by God the Holy Spirit, using John as His messenger.

Nang

TOL Subscriber

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
There is only one Apostle John, and he wrote the Gospel of John, the little epistles (I, II, III) of John, and Revelation.

All were inspired by God the Holy Spirit, using John as His messenger.

so why doesn't he mention the antichrist?
why does he use his name four times?
why does he not use the name of Jesus in so many chapters?