The Abolishment of the Law and Religion

Robert Pate

Banned
Only in your own personal dictionary would this be true, Robert. Sigh.

Better that you would distinguish between the gospel itself and the gospel as outwardly administered. The gospel as such is only good news. What God commands He promises to give. In this respect all commands are properly the domain of the law. However, there is a moral element in the outward administration of the gospel as it is preached. It says, Believe, and be saved; Repent, or perish.

The gospel administration properly includes moral imperatives of the law. Even the command to believe is drawn from the first commandment, though the grace to believe is given by the gospel. In this respect the Scriptures speak of obeying or disobeying the gospel, i.e., in terms of its commands which it has borrowed from the law. But receiving salvation is not owing to the moral act of believing, but to the reception of the grace promised in the gospel.

God intends His law to function in three ways:

The law's first function is to be a mirror reflecting to us both the perfect righteousness of God and our own sinfulness and shortcomings. Thus the law bids us, as we try to fulfill its requirements, and become wearied in our weakness under it, to know how to ask the help of grace.

The law is meant to give knowledge of sin (Rom. 3:20; 4:15; 5:13; 7:7-11) and, by showing us our need of pardon and our danger of damnation, to lead us in repentance and faith to Christ (Gal. 3:19-24).

The law's second function is to restrain evil. Though it cannot change the heart, the law can, to some extent, inhibit lawlessness by its threats of judgment, especially when backed by a civil code that administers present punishment for proven offenses (Deut. 13:6-11;19:16-21;Rom. 13:3-4). Thus it secures some civil order and goes some way to protect the righteous from the unjust.

The law's third function is to guide the regenerate into the good works that God has planned for them (Eph. 2:10).

Our Lord was speaking of this third use of the law when He said that those who become His disciples must be taught to keep the law and to do all that He had commanded (Matt. 5:18-20;28:20), and that it is obedience to His commands that will prove the reality of one’s love for Him (John 14:15). The Christian is free from the law as a supposed system of salvation (Rom. 6:14;7:4,6;1 Cor. 9:20; Gal. 2:15-19;3:25) but is “under Christ’s law” as a rule of life (1 Cor. 9:21;Gal. 6:2).

God’s law is a joy, not a burden. It is written on our hearts, not carried on our shoulders.

AMR

The law is not good. It will cause you to sin, Romans 7:7-12.

The law is good only as long as you are not under it or subject to it.

Robert Pate

Banned
Any sin for which you have not sincerely repented.

You're foolish to claim you are not susceptible to sin.

That's like a cat burglar claiming they have nine lives.

You don't have a clue as to what the Gospel is, nor do you understand what it means to be "In Christ."

Samie

The only requirement in Christianity is faith and not works or religion. God does not accept the works or the religion of sinners, which we are all one of. Christians receive the gift of faith by hearing and believing the Gospel of Jesus Christ. "So then faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God (which is the Gospel) Romans 10:17. Those that hear and believe the Gospel are sealed with the Holy Spirit, Ephesians 1:13 and are spiritually placed "In Christ" Colossians 3:3.
Those I highlighted in red above are works, aren't they?

They no longer practice the law, nor do they follow a religion. The good works that will follow is because they have been born again by the Gospel, 1 Peter 1:23, and are now God's workmanship that has been created in Jesus Christ unto good works, Ephesians 2:10.
What's your problem with good works when we are created unto good works? And why not when we are born in Christ?!!! He is our Strength for doing good. Phil 4:13

Hence,we are enjoined to overcome evil with good (Rom 12:21).

marhig

Spiritually, the Christian is not subject to the law, or religion, nor does he live according to the law and religion.

Physically, he is born under the law and is subject to the law and lives his whole life under the law.

The Christian lives in the spiritual and is led by the Spirit.

"The letter (law) kills, but the Spirit gives life" 2 Corinthians 3:6.

Do you believe that we have to obey God and do his will though?

marhig

marhig

That might be true in your false religion. However in the Religion of Jesus Christ, the death that His People incurred for sin, He already paid the penalty of death for them, hence He died for their sins. So even though they still sin, the penalty of death has already been paid, and they have eternal life ! Rom 6:23 and God doesnt charge them for their sinning !
That's a false teaching, and if we sin knowing it's wrong before God we will absolutely be held accountable, i know that it's right to live by the will of God and do what's right before him and turn from sin. Just as is taught in the Bible.

beloved57

That's a false teaching, and if we sin knowing it's wrong before God we will absolutely be held accountable, i know that it's right to live by the will of God and do what's right before him and turn from sin. Just as is taught in the Bible.

More false teaching. Those things might be true in your false religion, but in true Christianity, God doesn't impute our sins unto us Rom 4:8
Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

marhig

What about deny yourself take up your cross and follow me? Jesus also said those who are not willing to take up their cross are not worthy of him? And why did he and his apostles teach that we are to turn from sin, of we don't have to?

beloved57

What about deny yourself take up your cross and follow me? Jesus also said those who are not willing to take up their cross are not worthy of him? And why did he and his apostles teach that we are to turn from sin, of we don't have to?

You have a different religion from me. In fact you are living in terrible sin, even idolatry.

marhig

You have a different religion from me. In fact you are living in terrible sin, even idolatry.

I truly hope one day you have your eyes opened, because what you are saying is against what Jesus taught. I know the the way I believe is right, because the holy spirit is teaching me to turn from sin, and I know from reading the Bible that God hates sin and he wants us to turn from it and obey him.

1 John 3

Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

John 14

If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Galatians 5

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

James 4

Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth [it] not, to him it is sin.

beloved57

I truly hope one day you have your eyes opened, because what you are saying is against what Jesus taught. I know the the way I believe is right, because the holy spirit is teaching me to turn from sin, and I know from reading the Bible that God hates sin and he wants us to turn from it and obey him.

1 John 3

Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

John 14

If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Galatians 5

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

James 4

Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth [it] not, to him it is sin.

How can you have repented and turned from sin, when you are living in idolatry?

marhig

By reading what you post. Duh

You wilfully reject the Gospel of God's Grace in Christ. That is wilfully sinning.
I'm not going to argue with you, I've quoted enough scripture to show that we are to turn from sin and obey God, even scripture that says that if we carry on sinning then we are of the devil, if you want to carry on wilfully sinning then you go ahead. That's between you and God.