ECT The 5 major warnings to Jewish believers in the Book of Hebrews

ZacharyB

Every morning during devotions, words just pop out a me, such as:

James 1:21-22
“Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness (from your past life),
and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.
But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.”

But, Lord, some people think they are justified and saved
when they first receive the Holy Spirit.

James 2:24
“You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.”

Yes, again we see salvation is a life-long endeavor ...
because these "works" are to be done after receiving the Spirit.

And in about 10 verses ...
The NT says we must endure in the faith until our death to receive eternal life.

So, true belief means to have life-long faith, trust, and obedience!

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

“Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness (from your past life),

The NT says we must endure in the faith until our death to receive eternal life.

So what does that mean to you ? - enduring in the faith until the day we die, and being obedient. Please expound.

revpete

Scripture doesn't say that.

Jesus said, "He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life..."
(Revelation 3:5 NKJV)

Yes, scripture does say what you quote and it also says and teaches what I said. Regeneration is a term for being given new life in Christ. We are sealed by The Holy Spirit and the names of those saved have been written in The Lamb's book of life. Eph. 1:13 plus other places. Rev. 13:8, 17:8 You apply the reverse in these scriptures.

Pete 👤

daqq

Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise:

Hi ZacharyB, perhaps this is more for the naysayers here than for you but Paul indeed teaches the very same thing, in fact, compliments this passage and even goes further into detail concerning the will of God which is mentioned in the passage from Hebrews you have quoted:

Hebrews 10:35-36 KJV
35. Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.
36. For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

One does NOT receive the Promise if he or she refuses to do "the will of God" and Paul uses the same statement to the Thessalonians, (as I see you also just quoted above) going further into exactly what is meant by "the will of God" in this same context:

1 Thessalonians 4:1-8 KJV
1. Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more.
2. For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.
3. For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:
4. That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;
5. Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God:
6. That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified.
7. For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.
8. He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit.

Thus the will of God concerns even our own sanctification, by the actions of our own deeds in cutting off sin from among our own "members", of our own "households", which is the body-temple. And one cannot have received the Promise if he or she refuses to do the will of God, (as many here have already proudly proclaimed that they cannot and will not do). Those who despise this teaching despise God and His Word. :)

revpete

Check out "blotted out" ... and check out the rhyme!

• “For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should
abstain from sexual immorality (etc. etc.) … For God did not call us
to uncleanness, but in holiness. Therefore he who rejects this
does not reject man, but God” (1 Thes 4:3,7-8)

Yes, we certainly do have quite a few here who reject God and His warnings!

Please tell me where believers can be blotted out of the book of life. Please refrain from quoting verses out of context to support your case.

Pete 👤

ZacharyB

One does NOT receive the Promise
if he or she refuses to do "the will of God" (in Hebrews)
and Paul uses the same statement in 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8
So, we have the author of Hebrews, and Paul,
and now Jesus, which IMO is the best one ...

Mathew 7:21
"Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’
shall enter the kingdom of heaven,
but he who does the will of My Father in heaven."

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

But you are not enduring in the faith.....you are now trying to obey commandments to be saved.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
“And the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw nigh unto me, and with their mouth and with their lips to honor me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear of me is a commandment of men which hath been taught them;”
**Isaiah‬ *29:13‬ *ASV‬‬
http://bible.com/12/isa.29.13.asv

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
“And the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw nigh unto me, and with their mouth and with their lips to honor me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear of me is a commandment of men which hath been taught them;”
**Isaiah‬ *29:13‬ *ASV‬‬
http://bible.com/12/isa.29.13.asv

In Isaiah's day, the people kept the sacrificial system going, kept the feasts, but they did so from fear of the commandments of men and not for the love of God.

This is the same spirit that Zachary is teaching from. I'm out

ZacharyB

Hey, looks like this is James’ month in the spotlight.
(If all the proofs vs. OSAS were posted at once, the system would crash.)

James 5:19-20
“Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth,
and someone turns him back,
let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way
will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.”

Now, let’s see … does the Lord kill the brethren who wander from the Truth?
No, don’t think so … never seen nor heard of that (except from the Tottster).
Oh, my, could it be that we’re talking here about eternal death (once again)?

Yes, it’s the same old story again …
We must remain in the faith until death to finally receive eternal life
… because salvation is a life-long process.

Remember what James had previously said …
“Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness
(from their old lives of sin), and receive with meekness the implanted word,
which is able to save your souls.” (James 1:21).

Yes, James was writing to Jewish believers whose salvation was in doubt!

Last edited:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
James does not say brethren YOU say brethren

James says anyone among you

Anyone among you is not you, if he had meant the brethren he would have said if any of you, but he said anyone among you.

He said they were sinner.

DAN P

So you saying that one can be truly saved ie regenerated and sealed by The Holy Spirit, have their names written in The Lamb's book of life from before the foundation of the world and be lost? If that's so then why did God put their names in The Lamb's book of life written before the foundation of the world in the first place? Did He get it wrong or are you a devotee of open theism?

Pete 👤

Hi and maybe he is saying that God DOES have an ERASER that we did not know of ??

dan p

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
James does not say brethren YOU say brethren

James says anyone among you

Anyone among you is not you, if he had meant the brethren he would have said if any of you, but he said anyone among you.

He said they were sinner.

Jas 5:19 Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;
Jas 5:20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

Jas 5:19 Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back,
Jas 5:20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hi and maybe he is saying that God DOES have an ERASER that we did not know of ??

dan p

The Lord never wants to appear like men who threaten people with extinction in order to get their attention but the fact remains that Jesus warned many people about what the consequences are if they do not turn around from where they are heading.

Receiving the Holy Spirit is only the beginning of salvation and not the completion of it.

Act 2:38 Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Act 2:39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call."
Act 2:40 And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, "Be saved from this perverse generation."

Eph 5:1 Therefore be imitators of God as dear children.
Eph 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.
Eph 5:3 But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints;
Eph 5:4 neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.
Eph 5:5 For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.
Eph 5:6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.
Eph 5:7 Therefore do not be partakers with them.

Eze 18:20 The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.
Eze 18:21 "But if a wicked man turns from all his sins which he has committed, keeps all My statutes, and does what is lawful and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die.
Eze 18:22 None of the transgressions which he has committed shall be remembered against him; because of the righteousness which he has done, he shall live.
Eze 18:23 Do I have any pleasure at all that the wicked should die?" says the Lord GOD, "and not that he should turn from his ways and live?
Eze 18:24 "But when a righteous man turns away from his righteousness and commits iniquity, and does according to all the abominations that the wicked man does, shall he live? All the righteousness which he has done shall not be remembered; because of the unfaithfulness of which he is guilty and the sin which he has committed, because of them he shall die. Eze 18:25 "Yet you say, 'The way of the Lord is not fair.' Hear now, O house of Israel, is it not My way which is fair, and your ways which are not fair?
Eze 18:26 When a righteous man turns away from his righteousness, commits iniquity, and dies in it, it is because of the iniquity which he has done that he dies.
Eze 18:27 Again, when a wicked man turns away from the wickedness which he committed, and does what is lawful and right, he preserves himself alive.
Eze 18:28 Because he considers and turns away from all the transgressions which he committed, he shall surely live; he shall not die.

Mat 18:23 Therefore the kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants.
Mat 18:24 And when he had begun to settle accounts, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents.
Mat 18:25 But as he was not able to pay, his master commanded that he be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and that payment be made.
Mat 18:26 The servant therefore fell down before him, saying, 'Master, have patience with me, and I will pay you all.'
Mat 18:27 Then the master of that servant was moved with compassion, released him, and forgave him the debt.
Mat 18:28 "But that servant went out and found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii; and he laid hands on him and took him by the throat, saying, 'Pay me what you owe!'
Mat 18:29 So his fellow servant fell down at his feet and begged him, saying, 'Have patience with me, and I will pay you all.'
Mat 18:30 And he would not, but went and threw him into prison till he should pay the debt.
Mat 18:31 So when his fellow servants saw what had been done, they were very grieved, and came and told their master all that had been done.
Mat 18:32 Then his master, after he had called him, said to him, 'You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me.
Mat 18:33 Should you not also have had compassion on your fellow servant, just as I had pity on you?'
Mat 18:34 And his master was angry, and delivered him to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him.
Mat 18:35 "So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother his trespasses."

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So what does that mean to you ? - enduring in the faith until the day we die, and being obedient. Please expound.

Do not take this the wrong way.

When children are just little then they fear nothing and no one because their Father and Mother look after them and the world is no threat to them.

When they grow up and become Fathers and Mothers then they know that the world will destroy them and their family if they do not work and fight righteously, and even then they may lose much of what they have, and only at the return of Christ will they be rewarded for all of their righteous efforts with the restoration of all things as it was for Job.

Believers will often fight so hard against being taken off the breast, and when they are then they will fight almost like hell to avoid paying the price for growing up, yet it is in growing up that they become powerful against the world, and as one has said --

"a higher level, another devil"

So readers should take note of what is said from Gods word, and stop trying to pick holes in the righteous as if that will allow us to escape the truths of Gods word.

LA

DAN P

The Lord never wants to appear like men who threaten people with extinction in order to get their attention but the fact remains that Jesus warned many people about what the consequences are if they do not turn around from where they are heading.

Receiving the Holy Spirit is only the beginning of salvation and not the completion of it.

Act 2:38 Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. LA

Hi , and will just address Acts 2:38 first !!

you shall receive is verb in the FUTURE TENSES and it is impossible for Acts 2:38 to be in operation TODAY because Peter was talking to the House of Israel in verse 36 and Peter scoulding the Jews for the death of their MESSIAH !!

The FUTURE TENSE means Israel will receive the GIFT of the Holy Spirit at the END of the Great Tribulation AND NOT TODay !!:chuckle::chuckle:

dan p

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hi , and will just address Acts 2:38 first !!

you shall receive is verb in the FUTURE TENSES and it is impossible for Acts 2:38 to be in operation TODAY because Peter was talking to the House of Israel in verse 36 and Peter scoulding the Jews for the death of their MESSIAH !!

The FUTURE TENSE means Israel will receive the GIFT of the Holy Spirit at the END of the Great Tribulation AND NOT TODay !!:chuckle::chuckle:

dan p

Act 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Joh 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Jud 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.