Tell Me Again How Public Schools are Cesspools of Atheism

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Yeah you did. You first argued that the US "became great without a public school system", but after I showed that one of the very first things the states did after independence was set up public schools, rather than admit your error you changed to "they weren't controlled by the government" (another unsupported assertion on your part).
Please read the thread!

The public school system did not exist in this country in any form similar to what exists today until the mid to late 19th century. I posted a link that has the whole history of the public school system.

You're the only one repeating unsupported propaganda.

That's been the extent of this discussion. You make assertions with no evidence, wave away inconvenient facts, and call everyone who disagrees with you stupid. That's why I don't take you at all seriously.
I only call people stupid when they say stupid things - like the quote above.

You clearly haven't bothered to read the thread, idiot!

I'm sure that's what you believe, but that only matters to you.
Where did you learn that rights are a matter of opinion?

Let me guess!

Public School!

Yours is an extreme minority belief that has almost no public support, and thus virtually zero chance of ever being enacted.
That doesn't make it wrong.

I have. It's in the national interest to have a well-educated populace, and the best way to ensure that is a public school system.
Only stupid, former public school students would think this is an argument. That is not an argument, its an assertion and a completely unsupported one at that.

Educating people is a service just like any other service. There is no reason to believe that the private market place wouldn't do a better job of performing this service than the government does. In fact, there is every reason to believe that the government does a terrible job of educating people! The public school system sucks by virtually any metric you care to name!

It's just like government is with anything else. The can't stand for someone to have anything better than anyone else because its not fair, so they get involved and make sure that everyone is equally mediocre or miserable. The public school system is as good an example as any and, if we don't stop it, the government will do the same the the health care system as well.

If you disagree, then show a country that relies on a private system and gets better results.
This idiotic statement presumes that if it has never been done (or isn't being done elsewhere), it cannot be done at all. If that logic were valid, this country would never have been founded in the first place.

This country is the counter example I offer you. There was no nation wide compulsory public educational system in the country that was funded by taxes nor regulated by the government until the mid to late 1800's. Public education was not responsible for the education of the greatest American's that ever lived. Men like, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Samuel Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Abraham Lincoln, J.D. Rockefeller, Andrew Carnegie, Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, etc, etc, etc.

You copied someone else's arguments....so what? Any 10 year old can do that.
I agree with the argument 100% and I have no qualms about admitting that I could not have articulated it as well as Rand did. Further, an important point of having quoted Rand is the fact that she was a strident atheist and thus it removes from you the opportunity to blow the argument off as "religious".

I can't tell you didn't bother to read it. Any other posts from you that do not directly respond to Rand's argument will most likely go ignored. You're a waste of my time.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Okay, Jose is the only one on this thread defending public schools. That means this conversation is a waste of time.

I'm outa here!

I'll likely post Rand's argument in a new thread so that those participating can't ignore it.

:wave2:

glorydaz

Okay, Jose is the only one on this thread defending public schools. That means this conversation is a waste of time.

I'm outa here!

I'll likely post Rand's argument in a new thread so that those participating can't ignore it.

:wave2:

Please do...a fresh thread on this issue. :thumb:

Jose Fly

The public school system did not exist in this country in any form similar to what exists today until the mid to late 19th century.

You keep moving the goalposts. First it was the US "became great without a public school system", but after I showed that one of the very first things the states did after independence was set up public schools, now it's "The public school system did not exist in this country in any form similar to what exists today".

Your dishonesty is noted.

Educating people is a service just like any other service. There is no reason to believe that the private market place wouldn't do a better job of performing this service than the government does.

Then go somewhere and try it.

This idiotic statement presumes that if it has never been done (or isn't being done elsewhere), it cannot be done at all.

It means your assertions that a private system would be better are unfounded speculation.

This country is the counter example I offer you.

Nope. As has been shown, one of the first things the northern states did after independence was set up public schools. They were so successful, by the 1800's they'd become nationwide.

Jose Fly

Retard, stupid, idiot, moron.....these are the rebuttals from the fundamentalists at ToL.

What a haven of intellectual thought this place is. :chuckle:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Retard, stupid, idiot, moron.....these are the rebuttals from the fundamentalists at ToL.

They aren't rebuttals, idiot!

Last edited:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
You keep moving the goalposts. First it was the US "became great without a public school system", but after I showed that one of the very first things the states did after independence was set up public schools....

"system" being the operative word that you seem to be unable to understand

don't let the door hit you in the butt :wave2:

musterion

Retard, stupid, idiot, moron.....

You forgot troll, fool, imbecile, bloviant, blowhard, halfwit, nitwit, simian, dummy, dope, dupe, derp, knave, twit, dunce, boob, boor, bore, punk, numbskull, knucklehead, loudmouth and ***. But then, you - uniquely and ironically - would.