Star Wars in Non Fiction; Public School Teacher in...

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
You're actively advocating leaving kids in harm's way so you may reach a few.

Heavens no Bro! If those pedophiles that you hang out with in your homosexualist threads were anywhere near children, they would be removed from the face of this earth (Chester the molester, not the children).

Your high horse, you may climb down now.

Have you taken your meds today Bro?

Son of Jack

I admire that approach, and didn't know public school teachers had that much say in the selection of material.

Some do; some don't. It depends on administrators and districts...and, to a certain extent, the guts of the teacher. This year, I have been allowed to pick all of my literature for my ninth and tenth grade classes.

About the only Christian influences I could find in my public high school was 1) a hymn we sang in school choir (though the choir teacher made it abundantly clear that she didn't believe in the sentiments of the song), and 2) reading the book of Job in Honors English. This latter was treated with as much reverence as when we covered Steinbeck's The Pearl.

That doesn't surprise me. I know that has been the experience of many. My situation is unique.

I did want to address some of the things you mentioned in your reply to aCW. First, I'm not unionized and I have yet to meet a teacher that is a member of one. I know they are out there, but I haven't met one. Moreover, no one has ever encouraged me to join one, and I won't if ever asked. Second, as to the glamorizing sin in English, what's funny is that in a number of the pieces we study gross sin shows its destructive nature. By way of example, we studied Antigone last nine weeks, the theme of which is the devastating effect of pride. I think that lines up pretty clearly with the Christian worldview.

I'm still of the opinion that the system is overall evil in spite of wayward cogs like yourself and aCW's friend, but I'll try to wedge my mind open, if just a little. ;)

I think in many cases the system is evil, but I love that I can work against the evil from within it. The young people I teach know who I am and what I believe, and I've had a number come to me and ask for prayer and advice. That's enough for me.

Brother Vinny

Heavens no Bro! If those pedophiles that you hang out with in your homosexualist threads were anywhere near children, they would be removed from the face of this earth (Chester the molester, not the children).

You know, I'm sorry for calling you a homo. I truly repent of that. It was spiteful and I did it just to get under your skin, and it appears I did, and I'm sorry. I'll never even imply you have homosexual feelings for men again. And I have no control over who all else posts in threads I create.

Having said that, more kids have been molested in public schools than in any thread I've created.

Have you taken your meds today Bro?

Stay Awake and ibuprofen: breakfast of champions.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
You know, I'm sorry for calling you a homo. I truly repent of that. It was spiteful and I did it just to get under your skin, and it appears I did, and I'm sorry. I'll never even imply you have homosexual feelings for men again. And I have no control over who all else posts in threads I create.

Fags attempt to get even with those that expose them. I mocked you and your fellow homosexualists in my thread.

On that note: apology accepted Bro.

Having said that, more kids have been molested in public schools than in any thread I've created.p

I'll go with public schools over Catholic Churches anyday.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Forget about putting prayer into the public schools. That’s a catastrophe. That’s like saying you want to put prayer in a brothel. Do you want to put prayer in a brothel or do you want to close down the brothel?
Comparing public schools to brothels is insulting to the brothels because at brothels you at least know what you're paying for.

Brother Vinny

Fags attempt to get even with those that expose them. I mocked you and your fellow homosexualists in my thread.

On that note: apology accepted Bro.

Thanks. And I'm not a homosexualist.

Seeing as Protestant churches have the same issue (yeah, yeah, save your book covers), I'd say the risk is fairly even in organizations where sinful men get even a modicum of power. But we were given pastors, sin and all.

Brother Vinny

Some do; some don't. It depends on administrators and districts...and, to a certain extent, the guts of the teacher. This year, I have been allowed to pick all of my literature for my ninth and tenth grade classes.

Awesome. Some of the best reading I've had was assigned in those grades. To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies.

That doesn't surprise me. I know that has been the experience of many. My situation is unique.

I did want to address some of the things you mentioned in your reply to aCW. First, I'm not unionized and I have yet to meet a teacher that is a member of one. I know they are out there, but I haven't met one. Moreover, no one has ever encouraged me to join one, and I won't if ever asked. Second, as to the glamorizing sin in English, what's funny is that in a number of the pieces we study gross sin shows its destructive nature. By way of example, we studied Antigone last nine weeks, the theme of which is the devastating effect of pride. I think that lines up pretty clearly with the Christian worldview.

Having a Christian background before going into such stories is helpful, I think. There's a lot of gospel that the antigospel of Breaking Bad throws into relief: lessons such as pride going before destruction, the wages of sin being death, and so forth.

I think in many cases the system is evil, but I love that I can work against the evil from within it. The young people I teach know who I am and what I believe, and I've had a number come to me and ask for prayer and advice. That's enough for me.

That is pretty cool. Maybe there's hope.

Christian Liberty

If forced to choose, I would accept the fact that I was being persecuted and being forced to choose between pagan institutions. I would obey God rather than man and refuse to give my children to either.

That said, at least Catholic Churches do not inherently require theft to exist, so they have that going for them.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Christian Liberty

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel land and sea to win one proselyte, and when he is won, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves (Mt 23:15)." :eek:linger:

See:

Roman Catholicism

Don't misquote me, please. I'll assume it was an accident, but I wasn't the one who said "I'll take public schools over Catholic Churches" (Yes, I know those words now appear in this post, and that you could take me out of context and say that I said that when I really didn't). I was quoting aCW, and disagreeing.
Oh, the irony.

So, is SD a whore or a public school teacher?:p

Does it matter?;)

(Disclaimer; The above was a joke. I do NOT mean that:))