Star Wars in Non Fiction; Public School Teacher in...

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
The schools are godless--is his point. He rightfully encourages parents to get their kids out (Pr 22:6).

After raising 3 wonderful children, my pastor's wife (a real looker like yourself) went back to school and got her teaching degree.

While she could have gotten some kick back teaching job in a private school, she chose to become a public school teacher.

Her reason? I guess she, like me, doesn't think that sharing God's Word should be done everywhere except on public school grounds.

Brother Vinny

After raising 3 wonderful children, my pastor's wife (a real looker like yourself) went back to school and got her teaching degree.

While she could have gotten some kick back teaching job in a private school, she chose to become a public school teacher.

Her reason? I guess she, like me, doesn't think that sharing God's Word should be done everywhere except on public school grounds.

I'm not sure this one instance, or even 1,000 instances like it, should be reason to endorse a godless system. What context does she share her faith with the children? She risks treading the fine line of the state sponsoring religion if she does it "on the clock".

Also, what subject does she teach? The only subject I can think of that would escape secular humanist taint is maths. If her curriculum forces her to teach, say, "Heather Has Two Mommies," does she have power to substitute "Stories That Live"?

You get all over others for compromise, but you'll compromise in this area?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm not sure this one instance, or even 1,000 instances like it, should be reason to endorse a godless system. What context does she share her faith with the children? She risks treading the fine line of the state sponsoring religion if she does it "on the clock".

Also, what subject does she teach? The only subject I can think of that would escape secular humanist taint is maths. If her curriculum forces her to teach, say, "Heather Has Two Mommies," does she have power to substitute "Stories That Live"?

You get all over others for compromise, but you'll compromise in this area?

The point is that she's a Christian woman who unlike you and many others that have the audacity to call themselves Christian, hasn't abandoned the majority of Americas children.

I'm a volunteer youth mentor in a public school. 50% of the children don't have a father/dad in their life, over 70% fit into the poverty category. You should see the eyes of little boys light up when I throw a ball with them at recess, etc.

Not all of us are abandoning the nations children.

I look in the mirror every morning and am proud of what I do and stand for.

How about you bro, can you say the same?

Brother Vinny

The point is that she's a Christian woman who unlike you and many others that have the audacity to call themselves Christian, hasn't abandoned the majority of Americas children.

I'm a volunteer youth mentor in a public school. 50% of the children don't have a father/dad in their life, over 70% fit into the poverty category. You should see the eyes of little boys light up when I throw a ball with them at recess, etc.

Not all of us are abandoning the nations children.

I look in the mirror every morning and am proud of what I do and stand for.

How about you bro, can you say the same?

You ducked my question regarding your teacher friend.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

I'm not sure this one instance, or even 1,000 instances like it, should be reason to endorse a godless system.

It wasn't always godless, in fact the bible and prayer were a big part of public schools throughout the majority of American history.

And then "Christians" were confronted with evil and guess what they did?

They ran from it.

What context does she share her faith with the children? She risks treading the fine line of the state sponsoring religion if she does it "on the clock".

They're aware that she's the wife of a Christian minister, and I'm sure that alone has a positive influence on them.

Also, what subject does she teach? The only subject I can think of that would escape secular humanist taint is maths. If her curriculum forces her to teach, say, "Heather Has Two Mommies," does she have power to substitute...

Show me where "Heather..." is standard cirriculum in every elementary school throughout the US.

Son of Jack

Hi BV,

Not sure what she does, but I teach high school English. I am careful about the literature I select for my classes. I pick reading that fosters the types of questions that can open the door to the important questions about life. If I can get them to think and ask the right questions, then the possibility of sharing faith can become a reality. If I teach literature well, good stories lend themselves to asking and trying to answer life's most important questions.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"After raising 3 wonderful children, my pastor's wife (a real looker like yourself)..."
:shocked:

"...went back to school and got her teaching degree. While she could have gotten some kick back teaching job in a private school, she chose to become a public school teacher. Her reason? I guess she, like me, doesn't think that sharing God's Word should be done everywhere except on public school grounds."
Leaving your kids in a godless institution is irresponsible (Pr 22:6).

See:

Public Schools

Brother Vinny

It wasn't always godless, in fact the bible and prayer were a big part of public schools throughout the majority of American history.

They ran from it.

I'll grant that.

They're aware that she's the wife of a Christian minister, and I'm sure that alone has a positive influence on them.

Just being aware she's a preacher's wife? Really?

Show me where "Heather..." is standard cirriculum in every elementary school throughout the US.

Never said it was. I offered it as a possibility. Let's generalize it so the details don't bog you down: If your teacher friend is assigned as part of the curriculum a novel that glamorizes or normalizes gross sin, does she have the power to substitute? Barring that, does she have the power to offer a Christian perspective on said sin?

After having given it some thought, I'd like to share why I think what you do after school is admirable, while what the teacher does is reprehensible.

For starters, as a volunteer after school, you are not constrained by the same guidelines that teachers paid by the state are. You are at liberty to discuss what you believe, because you are not endorsed by the state, which cannot be seen as giving preference to one religion over another. Your teacher friend is constrained by these rules, at the risk of losing her job.

Secondly, your teacher friend has the aforementioned curriculum to deal with. If she's a science teacher, she has to teach evolution. English brings with it the possibility I mentioned before of glamorizing/normalizing sin. Social studies and history might include gay rights issues. It is a compromise to her witness if she has to teach these things during the week (assuming these are all things she disagrees with) but then profess the truth about Christ on Sunday. A volunteer working after school has no such issues.

Finally, her money goes to where the liberal mouth is. Teaching is a unionized profession, and the NEA is one of the most liberal unions there is.

If you have weighed these against her necessarily-silent proclamation of the gospel through her good example and still found in favor of her, I don't know what would change your mind.

Christian Liberty

Hey aCW, I'm the son of a pastor. What do you think about that?

Oh, and my pastor/dad doesn't believe homosexuality MUST be recriminalized either:p

Brother Vinny

Hi BV,

Not sure what she does, but I teach high school English. I am careful about the literature I select for my classes. I pick reading that fosters the types of questions that can open the door to the important questions about life. If I can get them to think and ask the right questions, then the possibility of sharing faith can become a reality. If I teach literature well, good stories lend themselves to asking and trying to answer life's most important questions.

Hey, Son of Jack.

I admire that approach, and didn't know public school teachers had that much say in the selection of material.

About the only Christian influences I could find in my public high school was 1) a hymn we sang in school choir (though the choir teacher made it abundantly clear that she didn't believe in the sentiments of the song), and 2) reading the book of Job in Honors English. This latter was treated with as much reverence as when we covered Steinbeck's The Pearl.

I'm still of the opinion that the system is overall evil in spite of wayward cogs like yourself and aCW's friend, but I'll try to wedge my mind open, if just a little. ;)

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"Back from Rio..."
They drink caperenias. They look good.
Cocktail.GIF

"...or was it Europe this time?"
Don't remind me. :smack:

"There's no place like home." ~ Dorothy, The Wizard of Oz

"How on earth do you find the time to travel the world and home school your children?"
We took our kids out of public schools :reals: and sent them to Christian schools. :straight:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior

They ran from it.

I'll grant that.

This should be the end of the story (but wait, there's more!).

Quote:

Just being aware she's a preacher's wife? Really?

And the kindness, dedication and love that goes with it.

Yes, really.

Quote:

Never said it was. I offered it as a possibility. Let's generalize it so the details don't bog you down: If your teacher friend is assigned as part of the curriculum a novel that glamorizes or normalizes gross sin, does she have the power to substitute? Barring that, does she have the power to offer a Christian perspective on said sin?

Hang on a second bro; is this the same Brother Vinny that started this thread, which had nothing but God-hating atheists and pagans in it, and now is preaching to me about sin?
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95846

Sorry Bro, but if I want to talk decency with someone, I'll do it with someone who shows it in his everyday life.

Brother Vinny

Quote:

They ran from it.

This should be the end of the story (but wait, there's more!).

Quote:

And the kindness, dedication and love that goes with it.

Yes, really.

Quote:

Hang on a second bro; is this the same Brother Vinny that started this thread, which had nothing but God-hating atheists and pagans in it, and now is preaching to me about sin?
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95846

Sorry Bro, but if I want to talk decency with someone, I'll do it with someone who shows it in his everyday life.

Nice dodge.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
"Back from Rio..."

They drink caperenias. They look good.

And I hate you for not taking me along!

Quote:
"...or was it Europe this time?"

Don't remind me.

"There's no place like home." ~ Dorothy, The Wizard of Oz

But you looked mahvelous dawling in your bikini on the French Riveria, absolutely mahhhhvelous.

Quote:
"How on earth do you find the time to travel the world and home school your children?"

We took our kids out of public schools and sent them to Christian schools.

If they turn out half as good as mine did, then you've done good sd.