ST. JOHN 11:26

clefty

That's what they do in the place of the dead.

The righteous for their spiritual body, and the unrighteous for judgement.

What did you think they're waiting for? Or do you think our Lord was merely leading people astray with outlandish stories about the afterlife?

Are you misled by Santa Claus or the tooth fairy? Hmmmm...

If they really were believing in Abraham’s bosom why didnt He comfort them with that thought when His real life friend was sick and died...He did NOT say “He is with Abraham” if that was true...and believed...instead He said “He is asleep”...the disciples were pleased thinking Lazarus was getting better...but then He clarified...”No no...I meant he is with Abraham”...see isnt that comforting?

Oh wait the people did NOT believe this folk story as doctrine of the afterlife...is why He did NOT say that...

But clarified “He is dead”...

Poor Stephen too was stoned to death...and Luke writes “he fell into Abraham’s bosom” wait NO he didnt he wrote Stephen “fell asleep”...and his spirit went straightway to heaven...NOT...

glorydaz

Are you misled by Santa Claus or the tooth fairy? Hmmmm...

Ah, you accuse the Lord of telling lies? Just making things up for no reason? :rolleyes:

If they really were believing in Abraham’s bosom why didnt He comfort them with that thought when His real life friend was sick and died...He did NOT say “He is with Abraham” if that was true...and believed...instead He said “He is asleep”...the disciples were pleased thinking Lazarus was getting better...but then He clarified...”No no...I meant he is with Abraham”...see isnt that comforting?

Had you really paid attention,

John 11:4 When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.

John 11:6 When he had heard therefore that he was sick, he abode two days still in the same place where he was.

You would have seen that our Lord deliberately tarried until his friend had died (physically) because He planned on raising him from the dead. His friend was merely waiting to be raised from the dead. Waiting for our Lord to raise him.

Oh wait the people did NOT believe this folk story as doctrine of the afterlife...is why He did NOT say that...

But clarified “He is dead”...

No, his body was dead. Lazarus was simply waiting for the Lord to come raise HIS BODY.

Poor Stephen too was stoned to death...and Luke writes “he fell into Abraham’s bosom” wait NO he didnt he wrote Stephen “fell asleep”...and his spirit went straightway to heaven...NOT...

No, Stephen saw the Lord standing at the right hand of the Father (to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord). At that point, Abraham was with the Lord, too. There was no more waiting to be with the Lord once the Lord had risen.

As we see here with Stephen.

Acts 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

glorydaz

I can't find where the passage says the rich man is waiting.

That's what they do in the place of the dead.

The righteous for their spiritual body, and the unrighteous for judgement.

What did you think they're waiting for? Or do you think our Lord was merely leading people astray with outlandish stories about the afterlife?

I'm not sure why you are asking ME these questions. I wasn't the one saying he was waiting. Nor do I think the story is outlandish--it is exactly what we should expect to happen to a man that has been judged and found wanting. And if he is waiting, as you say, why is he waiting for judgment "in torments"? Isn't being "in torments" evidence of a judgment that has already occurred?

Your question seemed less than genuine. ;)

So, I answered your question, and then suggested you tell me why they were there if they were not waiting. My answer would be they were waiting until Christ rose from the dead.

Of course we are judged before we die...there is no salvation after our time on this earth is done. God sees into the hearts of all men.

See this, for instance....This is decided before we pass from this earth. Is that not a judgement?

Romans 8:1
8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.​

clefty

Ah, you accuse the Lord of telling lies?
lies? Oh my no...why lies...is it a lie when He said He was a door? Or had living waters? Was it a lie when He didn’t provide the woman who lost and then found her coin? Or the prodigal son...where was he?

Just making things up for no reason?
He didnt make it up...it was already a favorite folk tale about a rich man going to hell...what poor folk don’t enjoy that irony or reversal of fortune but this tale in the hands of the Master took on a new understanding...it was not about rich man deserving to go to hell...but about forgiveness of offenses...that rich man should have forgiven Lazarus his offenses of being poor begging at his gate...

Had you really paid attention,

John 11:4 When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.

John 11:6 When he had heard therefore that he was sick, he abode two days still in the same place where he was.

You would have seen that our Lord deliberately tarried until his friend had died (physically) because He planned on raising him from the dead.
oh that is nice...if His friend was in hell getting His tongue parched well waiting was nice no? Or if he was in Abraham’s bosom comforted in bliss for four days just to be ripped back to paying bills and dealing with getting old to die again...always nice...

His friend was merely waiting to be raised from the dead. Waiting for our Lord to raise him.
oh so the dead know to wait now do they? He chose to wait in the tomb? Lying down or was he able to sit up? Did he wait with baited breath? LOL

No, his body was dead. Lazarus was simply waiting for the Lord to come raise HIS BODY.
oh so they agreed before hand for him to wait and not be carried off by angels to Abraham’s bosom...

Hmmmm...so if the dead are carried off physically by angels to Abraham’s bosom...how come the bones remained? I mean Elisha’s even raised the dead...Joseph’s were moved...you would think they were on Abraham’s bosom...

NOTHING about what after life is like from all those raised...good stories that I imagine...not even made up ones...odd that imagine the sensational stories that could be told about life on Abraham’s bosom...or the parched tongue times...front page stories those...oh wait no not really actually as they all believed the dead know NOTHING...

No, Stephen saw the Lord standing at the right hand of the Father
right because HE ASCENDED BODILY INTO CLOUDS WITH THE DISCIPLES STANDING THERE GAZING

(to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord).
Had you really paid attention you would have seen that Paul did NOT write that...He wrote:

“We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body AND to be present with the Lord.”

See that AND? it is NOT written absent from the body IS to be present...you see Paul says he would rather be absent the body and present with the Lord...because well in this mortal body this earthly house will be destroyed and we desire to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven...NOT NAKED or wanting to be unclothed and just spirits floating about but FURTHER CLOTHED by life eternal...we have the guarantee by the Spirit of that coming future occurrence because we know while we are at home in this body we are absent form the Lord...but are well pleased RATHER to be ABSENT THIS BODY than remain present here with it on earth and to present with Him further clothed in our heavenly building...

See Paul compares being present here or with Him...and absent here and present there is much better...

Paul did NOT write that to be absent here this body IS TO BE present with the Lord...

At that point, Abraham was with the Lord, too.
Stephen made no mention of it...Abraham didnt even show up at the vision on the mount...

There was no more waiting to be with the Lord once the Lord had risen.
NEVER WAS...we fall asleep KNOW NOTHING...and BAM wake up at the last trump...no not Donald...the day of resurrection when we all transformed in a twinkling and are further clothed...with bodies of glory...

As we see here with Stephen.

Acts 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
right...the body goes back to dust...the spirit returns to the Creator Who gave it...and the soul...ZZZZZZZ until “well done good and faithful servent”...

Imagine being already up there....floating about for thousands of years witnessing all the ugh on earth and happening to loved ones...and not being able to hug or kiss Him or loved ones or eat of the tree of Life or any other...having to wait all that time and then finally getting a pin AND a chest to pin it on...LOL

Don’t think spirits can be crowned or further clothed...just sayin’

glorydaz

Abraham gives absolutely NO indication of a future judgment of either the rich man or Lazarus, but he does talk like a judgment has already occurred.

In summary:
1. No evidence of waiting
2. No evidence of a coming judgment
3. There is evidence of a previous judgment
4. As mentioned previously, there is evidence of body parts (tongue and finger), which seem like they are only applicable to dead man if he's a resurrected dead man.

This seems to me to put the scene after the final judgment. I admit there's a time inconsistency, IF it is possible for someone (like Lazarus) to go to the man's brothers, though Abraham gives no indication that it is possible (his main point is that it would be ineffectual). If it is impossible for Lazarus to go back, then we could conclude that it is because the time for them to repent had expired, again putting this scene after the judgment.

Notice how the Lord had just said, "God knoweth your hearts....and knows what is "abomination in the sight of God". God knows this way before you draw your last breath....God "knowing" is God judging whatever abominations are in your heart.

Luke 16:15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

We see many judgments. Here, for instance, the righteous judgment of God recompenses tribulation to them that trouble you. Just as God did to Pharaoh when crossing the Red Sea.

2 Thessalonians 1:4-6
4 So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure: 5 Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer: 6 Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;​

Notice also, the rich man was buried, but the beggar was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom.

Luke 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;​

There was no literal water, there was no literal flame, there was no literal tongue or fingers....just as there is no physical ARM of God. The Bible is full of this...why does this part bother you so much? Their actual physical bodies were decaying as this conversation was going on.

The Lord had no yet risen from the dead, so Abraham's bosom was still below, where he could look across the divide into Hades. Does that sound like the final judgment had already taken place? If it had then that isn't much of a heaven, is it?

Instead, after the Lord had risen there is a whole family in heaven and earth, and that would certainly include Abraham in heaven.

Ephesians 3:14-15
14 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

We all wait....wherever we are, we wait, We wait for the Glory of the Lord to appear, and for the resurrection of our bodies, and for the New Heaven and Earth. Life is a waiting game...not a sleeping game. Only our physical bodies sleep in the dust waiting to be raised at the resurrection of the dead.

glorydaz

lies? Oh my no...why lies...is it a lie when He said He was a door? Or had living waters? Was it a lie when He didn’t provide the woman who lost and then found her coin? Or the prodigal son...where was he?

He didnt make it up...it was already a favorite folk tale about a rich man going to hell...what poor folk don’t enjoy that irony or reversal of fortune but this tale in the hands of the Master took on a new understanding...it was not about rich man deserving to go to hell...but about forgiveness of offenses...that rich man should have forgiven Lazarus his offenses of being poor begging at his gate...

Not even a good attempt at double speak.

Jesus was not lying, he was joking? :rolleyes:

Actually He is a door, and He is living waters. Everything our Lord spoke was TRUTH. He didn't come to entertain us, as you suggest.

oh that is nice...if His friend was in hell getting His tongue parched well waiting was nice no? Or if he was in Abraham’s bosom comforted in bliss for four days just to be ripped back to paying bills and dealing with getting old to die again...always nice...

I do believe you are mocking the Holy Word of God. :execute:

oh so the dead know to wait now do they? He chose to wait in the tomb? Lying down or was he able to sit up? Did he wait with baited breath? LOL

Now, I'm convinced you're mocking. :troll:

clefty

Not even a good attempt at double speak.
you sure you even know what double speak is? I certainly wasn’t trying...

Jesus was not lying, he was joking? :rolleyes:
that He knew popular folk tales to teach new truth or even affirm old values is not a joke...but yes I do believe He joked...like when He spit into the dust to make mud to heal the blind man on the Sabbath merely to provoke the Pharisees https://practicingresurrection.wordpress.com/2009/07/06/mud/ that is funny...

Actually He is a door,
actually no He is not nor literally...He is not a door...no lock no hinges no knocker no sill no wall to put said door in ...as a metaphor yes

and He is living waters.
no He is not liquid upon which filling a glass with Him and drinking Him one lives forever...but as a metaphor yes...
Everything our Lord spoke was TRUTH.
not being literal does not make it less true...
He didn't come to entertain us, as you suggest.
sure He did...spoke in parables...taught in riddles and healed to provoke...

truth is exactly like that captivating thrilling awe inspiring...greatest show on earth...best story ever...salvation and its gospel even more so...

sometimes with thunder and lighting and even brimstone...sadly some do get carried away into fantasy like conflating literal with figurative though...like His flesh is to be literally eaten...or folk tales are actually doctrinal truth...but that is entertaining too

I do believe you are mocking the Holy Word of God. :execute:
oh my...no one expects the inquisition...you Spanish too?

happily what you believe is quite often not true but as false an image as the emojis you rely on...

Here is more in line of what I believe...sorry they ain’t simple cute emojis

http://poetic-evangel.blogspot.com/2010/02/rich-man-and-lazarus.html

https://isthatinthebible.wordpress....-man-and-lazarus-a-fable-about-the-afterlife/

Robert W. Yarbrough (an advocate of the traditional doctrine of hell) concedes in his essay, "Jesus on Hell," that it is "widely accepted that this story is parabolic and not intended to furnish a detailed geography of hell." He goes on to refer to the story as a "parable" in the same paragraph (Hell Under Fire, pg. 74)

http://thathappyexpectation.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-parable-of-lazarus-and-rich-man.html

Now, I'm convinced you're mocking. :troll:
not surprised by your attention seeking histrionics...you are convinced by other error why not your own?

I mean the doctrine of afterlife is not dependent on a folktale is it? Why is Luke the only one with this folk tale telling? The irony that Abraham teaches one risen from the dead would NOT be convincing...surely Abraham knew about One who expected exactly that?

Sadducees did not believe in the resurrection because Moses didn’t teach on the afterlife at all...not just resurrection...

Again if our Master believed we went anywhere comforting upon death He would have said that to comfort and assure and not actually that His friend was asleep...

But let’s see what brought comfort and what they believed about the afterlife:

John 11:23 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.”

24 Martha answered, “I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”

Were Lazarus with Abraham they would have said so...and been comforted by that belief...rather absent this earthly body and finally present with the Lord at the last day...

Derf

Notice how the Lord had just said, "God knoweth your hearts....and knows what is "abomination in the sight of God". God knows this way before you draw your last breath....God "knowing" is God judging whatever abominations are in your heart.

Luke 16:15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

We see many judgments. Here, for instance, the righteous judgment of God recompenses tribulation to them that trouble you. Just as God did to Pharaoh when crossing the Red Sea.

2 Thessalonians 1:4-6
4 So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure: 5 Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer: 6 Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;​
Yes! and all of those judgments are executed while in the body. In Revelation that trend is continued--the bodies of all are raised, after which they are judged. So the standard scenario that I think you are promoting, is that if you die as an unbeliever, you are (somehow) judged to be an unbeliever and your soul is sentenced to wait in a proverbial holding cell in Hades until judgment day comes.

On judgment day you will be raised--reunited with your body--and stand before the Lord for judgment, at which time He will sentence you (soul and body) to be thrown into the lake of fire for eternity. So, IF the unbelievers are able to be tormented in their soulish, bodiless state, why would God need to raise their bodies from the dead--meaning He will build them NEW bodies, because the old ones have been eaten by worms or burned to ashes, and then throw those bodies into fire, which must burn them all up again almost immediately, leaving them in a soulish, bodiless state again, and again tormented in the flame. What's the difference between the pre-hell Hades and the Lake of Fire hell?

Notice also, the rich man was buried, but the beggar was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom.

Luke 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;​
Yes, I noticed that! I noticed that the "rich man" was buried, but Lazarus was carried. This sentence, to be categorically consistent, must either be talking about both the rich man's and Lazarus's BODIES, or about their SOULS. It is internally inconsistent for the rich man's BODY to be buried and Lazarus's SOUL to be considered in the same sentence without some kind of clarification.

So, to be consistent, let's try putting the words "body" or "soul" in the passage:

Option 1: And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and [his body] was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and [his body] was buried;

Option 2: And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and [his soul] was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and [his soul] was buried;

Do you see the inconsistency? It either says that Lazarus retained his BODY, or that the rich man's SOUL was buried in the dirt. I think you and I would both reject the latter, so is it possible that the former can still work? I think so. If the rich man was resurrected and judged, then he would find himself in Hell or Hades and "in torments".

There was no literal water, there was no literal flame, there was no literal tongue or fingers....just as there is no physical ARM of God. The Bible is full of this...why does this part bother you so much? Their actual physical bodies were decaying as this conversation was going on.
Why then do you need a literal rich man in a literal Hades? Was the rich man deluded into thinking he had a tongue or that Lazarus had fingers? Maybe their was no literal Lazarus, either, and no literal Abraham. Maybe it was all...a...story??? I'm glad to see your perspective starting to change, even if you only admit SOME of it is
a parable. That's kind of where I am, too. I think SOME of it is a parable.

The Lord had no yet risen from the dead, so Abraham's bosom was still below, where he could look across the divide into Hades. Does that sound like the final judgment had already taken place? If it had then that isn't much of a heaven, is it?
Why not? Are you saying that kind of heaven isn't allowed?

Here's what Jesus said about the final judgment: [Mat 16:27 KJV] 27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

And this is what John saw:[Rev 20:12 ESV] 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done.

The judgment is still to come, according to Jesus. So how is it that the rich man was already judged for his works?[Luk 16:25 KJV] 25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

Instead, after the Lord had risen there is a whole family in heaven and earth, and that would certainly include Abraham in heaven.

Ephesians 3:14-15
14 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
That's a good reference, GD. I'll give that one some thought. Matthew Henry said that there were two camps on it, one that thought it meant what you are suggesting, and one that thought it was merely talking about Jews and gentiles all now being in Christ.

We all wait....wherever we are, we wait, We wait for the Glory of the Lord to appear, and for the resurrection of our bodies, and for the New Heaven and Earth. Life is a waiting game...not a sleeping game. Only our physical bodies sleep in the dust waiting to be raised at the resurrection of the dead.
Life might be a waiting game, but death isn't. To be waiting, you have to be able to tell that time is passing, you have to sense things, you must actually be alive and have cognition. That's the whole question we're trying to figure out--can you be dead without really being dead? Or, after dying, can you be alive without being resurrected? The words themselves tell us an answer, if we can trust the words.

Derf

Your question seemed less than genuine. ;)

So, I answered your question, and then suggested you tell me why they were there if they were not waiting. My answer would be they were waiting until Christ rose from the dead.
My question? I think it was a statement--I really couldn't find anything in that passage that suggested either Lazarus or the rich man (or Abraham, for that matter) were waiting for anything. Lazarus was being comforted (no waiting), the rich man was being tormented (no waiting), and Abraham was engaged in conversation with a man who was dead both physically and spiritually, according to you and [MENTION=2801]way 2 go[/MENTION]. What was left of the man that was still alive to have this conversation?

Of course we are judged before we die...there is no salvation after our time on this earth is done. God sees into the hearts of all men.

See this, for instance....This is decided before we pass from this earth. Is that not a judgement?

Romans 8:1
8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.​
There IS a salvation after we die. That is the whole point of Christ's death, burial, and resurrection--that WE WILL BE RESURRECTED, TOO. That is salvation. What are we saved from? Death. What was the penalty for sin? Death. What was the punishment Adam and Eve received? Death. Resurrection IS salvation. And it comes to those who die ONLY after their time on earth is done.

Is there a judgment in Rom 8:1? I see mercy, not judgment. I see "no condemnation" not "condemnation".

glorydaz

My question? I think it was a statement--I really couldn't find anything in that passage that suggested either Lazarus or the rich man (or Abraham, for that matter) were waiting for anything. Lazarus was being comforted (no waiting), the rich man was being tormented (no waiting), and Abraham was engaged in conversation with a man who was dead both physically and spiritually, according to you and [MENTION=2801]way 2 go[/MENTION]. What was left of the man that was still alive to have this conversation?

The soul. The soul of the rich man who was dead in trespasses and sins.

Matthew 10:28And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.​

It's really hard to have this conversation with you, Derf, because you don't seem to understand that we are composed of a body, soul, and spirit. The body is merely the tent in which we dwell. God will give us a more suitable tent when we need one.

1 Thessalonians 5:23
And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.​

It's as bad as trying to have a discussion with someone who denies the Trinity. Like those who don't recognize the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Spirit is God.

There IS a salvation after we die. That is the whole point of Christ's death, burial, and resurrection--that WE WILL BE RESURRECTED, TOO.

Wrong, we are saved when we believe. Saved by grace through faith or have you forgotten?

We merely await the redemption of our body, which Paul makes very clear here.

Romans 8:23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

That is salvation. What are we saved from? Death. What was the penalty for sin? Death. What was the punishment Adam and Eve received? Death. Resurrection IS salvation. And it comes to those who die ONLY after their time on earth is done.

Oh dear.

Here, Paul is speaking of the BODY being resurrected.

1 Corinthians 15:36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:​

Here, Paul is speaking of the soul and spirit.

Ephesians 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

Ephesians 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

Here, while still alive physically, Paul says we were dead in sins....but are now quickened, and that is NOT speaking about the resurrection of the body.

Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;​

Romans 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

clefty

There IS a salvation after we die. That is the whole point of Christ's death, burial, and resurrection--that WE WILL BE RESURRECTED, TOO. That is salvation. What are we saved from? Death. What was the penalty for sin? Death. What was the punishment Adam and Eve received? Death. Resurrection IS salvation. And it comes to those who die ONLY after their time on earth is done.

Is there a judgment in Rom 8:1? I see mercy, not judgment. I see "no condemnation" not "condemnation".

Abraham went to Abraham’s bosom too? To wait out the coming dogpile of a scrum?

Abraham was laid into ground he paid for next to his wife with HIS PEOPLE...nothing there about going somewhere carried by angels to wait in his own bosom I guess...

David was dead the tomb still there...NOTHING there about being in Abraham’s quite crowded by this time bosom...but in fact

Heb 11:39These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised, 40 since God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

And that would be resurrection day...all died in faith asleep until then...

glorydaz

Abraham went to Abraham’s bosom too? To wait out the coming dogpile of a scrum?

Abraham was laid into ground he paid for next to his wife with HIS PEOPLE...nothing there about going somewhere carried by angels to wait in his own bosom I guess...

David was dead the tomb still there...NOTHING there about being in Abraham’s quite crowded by this time bosom...but in fact

Heb 11:39These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised, 40 since God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

And that would be resurrection day...all died in faith asleep until then...

You can't see past the body, can you?

Why? Because you are blind to spiritual things.

clefty

You can't see past the body, can you?

Why? Because you are blind to spiritual things.

I can see spiritual enough to know a body glorified awaits at resurrection day...no spirit is there already floating about unable to touch or eat from the tree of life or be further clothed...

INDEED rather completely absent this earthly tent AND finally present with Him...in our heavenly buildings...not naked or unclothed spirits floating about or under the altar crying out “HOW LONG?!!!”

clefty

:up:

2Ti 3:7 always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth.

Why did you end it there...it gets better...you miss the good stuff...

“always learning and never able gto come to the knowledge of the truth. 8 Now as Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith; 9 but they will progress no further, for their folly will be manifest to all, as theirs also was.”

Resisting Moses is what?

10 “But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance, 11 persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra—what persecutions I endured. And pout of them all the Lord delivered me. 12 Yes, and call who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. 13 But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them, 15 and that from childhood you have known tthe Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

that would be the OT BTW as the NT was not around while Timmy was a boy

16 “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 wthat the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

WAIT for what? WORKS? Thought it was grace alone...no works were dispensed to the body of Christ...they are raptured from any obligations to keep the law...LOL

4 “I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom:

JUDGE WHEN? AT HIS APPEARING...Can’t have any naked spirits floating about before then because that would mean they are already judged and already rewarded...well sort of...

Who will judge both the living and dead AT THE RESURRECTION DAY...

oh and by a LAW a STANDARD FOR ALL not changed or abolished or NOT dispensenced to a chosen predestined elect raptured out of accountability

clefty

To better understand what after life was believed back in the day...waaaaay back:

Job 14

“At least there is hope for a tree:
If it is cut down, it will sprout again,
and its new shoots will not fail.
8 Its roots may grow old in the ground
and its stump die in the soil,
9 yet at the scent of water it will bud
and put forth shoots like a plant.
10 But a man dies and is laid low;
he breathes his last and is no more.
11 As the water of a lake dries up
or a riverbed becomes parched and dry,
12 so he lies down and does not rise;
till the heavens are no more, people will not awake
or be roused from their sleep.
13 “If only you would hide me in the grave
and conceal me till your anger has passed!
If only you would set me a time
and then remember me!
14 If someone dies, will they live again?
All the days of my hard service
I will wait for my renewal to come.
15 You will call and I will answer you;
you will long for the creature your hands have made.
16 Surely then you will count my steps
but not keep track of my sin.
17 My offenses will be sealed up in a bag;
you will cover over my sin.

Not much there at all about landing on crowded Abraham’s bosom...or floating about naked and unclothed as a spirit...

glorydaz

I can see spiritual enough to know a body glorified awaits at resurrection day...no spirit is there already floating about unable to touch or eat from the tree of life or be further clothed...

INDEED rather completely absent this earthly tent AND finally present with Him...in our heavenly buildings...not naked or unclothed spirits floating about or under the altar crying out “HOW LONG?!!!”

Keep adding to the Word of God and you'll reap what you sow.

clefty

Keep adding to the Word of God and you'll reap what you sow.

You started it with your “to be absent the body IS to be present...”

Deceived yourself just like eve and her “don’t touch”

At least that finally I added is exactly what Paul is well pleased about...that FINAL appearing at the FINAL trump...