Sometimes President Trump Gets It Right

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Further point:

You libertarians and right wingers know that Alex Jones sells health supplements, right?

Let that sink in.

drbrumley

And for the record, if you DON'T think that pharmaceutical companies would push dubious products if they were unregulated, you would have to be the biggest moron on the planet. This already happens with the (largely unregulated) health supplements industry.

Your example is pathetic....big pharma is in bed with the government. Try again

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Trad is just cowering in fear over the free market

The free market is not a god, you libertarian idolater. It doesn't solve all problems. We do not owe it our sacrifices, nor does it demand of us our religious devotion.

It is certainly the case that government corruption is a problem, but the solution to that isn't to abolish, or else, restrict the scope of the government's regulatory authority. The solution is to kick business out of government, not government out of business.

We need campaign finance reform.

drbrumley

The free market is not a God, you libertarian idolater. It doesn't solve all problems. We do not owe it our sacrifices, nor does it demand of us our religious devotion.

It is certainly the case that government corruption is a problem, but the solution to that isn't to abolish, or else, restrict the scope of the government's regulatory authority. The solution is to kick business out of government, not government out of business.

We need campaign finance reform.

In other words, fascism. No thank you...

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Does it really make sense to make that problem even worse with untested, unverified pharmaceuticals?

only in the most extreme cases and with the acknowledgment by the patient or their proxy that it's a crapshoot

drbrumley

Yes, because everything you don't like is fascism.

I say the same to you as I would to a blue haired feminist: learn what words mean.

:rotfl: Now I am going to be lectured on what a fascist is...…

Do me a favor Trad, you stick your leftist nonsense where the sun doesn't shine.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
To those people who are defending the "Right to try" legislation, what you are ultimately in favor of is the right of corporations to swindle desperate, terminally ill patients out of their money.

That is a morally bankrupt position to hold.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
then remove the profit and force the manufacturers to provide untested drugs gratis

That's an interesting proposal. I'm not sure that I'm opposed to this idea. The patients could be used as test subjects for FDA testing. The money would come from corporate R&D budgets.

ok doser

To those people who are defending the "Right to try" legislation, what you are ultimately in favor of is the right of corporations to swindle desperate, terminally ill patients out of their money.

That is a morally bankrupt position to hold.

why do you say "swindle"?

what are they doing that is deceptive or fraudulent?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Going back to your proposal, though, Ok Doser:

The only problem I can see here is that health insurance companies might be incentivized to opt for the free, developmental drugs over drugs that have actually been tested.

But you can solve this problem simply by stipulating that the "right to try" only can occur if all other effective treatments have failed.

ok doser

Alex. Jones. Sells. Health. Supplements.

"Snake oil salesman" isn't just a turn of phrase. That actually used to happen before regulation.

what claims do modern marketers of alternative therapies make that are fraudulent or deceptive (the definition of "swindle")?

for example, what claims does (did?) alex jones make about the supplements he sold?

MennoSota

a team that will still have little knowledge of potential benefits, potential negative side effects, interactions with other drugs, etc, because there won't be any studies published, there won't be any entries in the Davis Drug Guide, there won't be any manufacturer's usage sheets provided - there will be anecdotal evidence and advice from non-professionals on the internet

physicians will be very reluctant to give advice on these substances in any but the most extreme cases
Wrong. Testing studies will be available. What won't be available is an approval by the FDA.
Do you think that human testing doesn't take place before the FDA gives approval?
I get the distinct feeling you have no clue in this discussion.

ok doser

I get the distinct feeling you have no clue in this discussion.

Worked in basic research using animal models, primarily rats, in research that lead to the current crop of cholesterol drugs

Worked on clinical trials for surfactant use in preemies

Currently working in direct patient care, studying medications, their interactions, etc

How about you?

MennoSota

Worked in basic research using animal models, primarily rats, in research that lead to the current crop of cholesterol drugs

Worked on clinical trials for surfactant use in preemies

Currently working in direct patient care, studying medications, their interactions, etc

How about you?
Worked with people who have to make life and death decisions on a daily basis. Worked with people for whom a clinical trial that is ten years down the road before approval means they are dead.
Keep doing your job...and speed it up...[emoji41]