Society and Large Families

HisServant

In my teen years I was raised by a couple who had two sons who both died in separate car accidents before marrying or having children. Now the husband is dead and the wife is a childless widow. Their family line is over. I don't believe 2 is enough.

I am 1 of 2, my brother died in a car accident when he was 17 and I was 21. Neither my parents or myself has ever thought they should have had more children. As a matter of fact, my brother and myself were miracle babies... my mother had bovine tuberculosis that ate a large part of her insides and damaged her uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes and she was told she would never have children. My father married her anyway knowing they would never have children.
I came along after 5 years of marriage and my brother 3.5 years later... and that was all that God granted them.

2 is enough if you have to get married... more than enough.

1PeaceMaker

I am 1 of 2, my brother died in a car accident when he was 17 and I was 21. Neither my parents or myself has ever thought they should have had more children. As a matter of fact, my brother and myself were miracle babies... my mother had bovine tuberculosis that ate a large part of her insides and damaged her uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes and she was told she would never have children. My father married her anyway knowing they would never have children.
I came along after 5 years of marriage and my brother 3.5 years later... and that was all that God granted them.

2 is enough if you have to get married... more than enough.

"More than enough" sounds like an aspersion on innocent children.

As I said, how many kids you have is not a choice. You were a miracle child. I was, too. My mom had only 2, and that's all she wanted or could have. I was a surprise after many miscarriages and finally time on birth control. My mom's mom had a hysterectomy at 30 so she only had the 7 kids. Of her three sons, only one gave them a grandchild. Thankfully, she also had 4 daughters who had children and adopted children over the years, so when they were dying they had lots of support from family. Neither of them had to be removed from their homes before death, despite suffering senility, strokes and cancer. All the love was there and more valuable than their money.

john w

Hall of Fame
So... you are advocating 3 a piece?

I am advocating-you really want to get rid of "The Brady's," including "A Very Brady Christmas," and....

trouble-with-tribbles.jpeg

HisServant

"More than enough" sounds like an aspersion on innocent children.

As I said, how many kids you have is not a choice. You were a miracle child. I was, too. My mom had only 2, and that's all she wanted or could have. I was a surprise after many miscarriages and finally time on birth control. My mom's mom had a hysterectomy at 30 so she only had the 7 kids. Of her three sons, only one gave them a grandchild. Thankfully, she also had 4 daughters who had children and adopted children over the years, so when they were dying they had lots of support from family. Neither of them had to be removed from their homes before death, despite suffering senility, strokes and cancer. All the love was there and more valuable than their money.

How can you as a Christian believe that children are innocent.

They were conceived in iniquity, as scripture so disturbingly puts it.

FYI, the belief that children are innocent is a pretty recent phenomenon in history.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
My neighbor friend is from large family and she does not have a good memory about it. She has only two children of her own.

Their father seemed to be angry most of the time because of poverty. Her father was violent disciplining kids.

She is 78 year old.

elohiym

The young mother I mentioned told me that on occasion she gets "lectured" by crazy feminists who told her she wasted her life having too many babies and not having a career.

Crazy. I would think feminists wouldn't be against women having children they want.

HisServant

Crazy. I would think feminists wouldn't be against women having children they want.

I would never lecture or think badly of anyone that made the choice to have a large father, but if someone would ask my opinion, I would explain to them what I see in scripture and how they should not do so at the expense of the rest of society.

Kids are a crap shoot, my son has been able to take care of himself and earn a decent living and eventually married a doctor so they are doing well.

My daughter on the other hand has made bad decision after bad decision, drugs, issues with the law, got pregnant before she was married, pretty much made every bad decision in the book. It took her till the age of 27 to wake up and go back to school to get her nursing degree while having a 3 and 6 year old at home. I am very proud of her right now.

Kids are a crap shoot.. some of the best parents have horrible kids and some of the worse parents have the best kids. I'm convinced they are born with a particular nature that no amount of parenting can change.

john w

Hall of Fame
My neighbor friend is from large family and she does not have a good memory about it. She has only two children of her own.

Their father seemed to be angry most of the time because of poverty. Her father was violent disciplining kids.

She is 78 year old.

My neighbor friend sells hats for Neimam Marcus/Needless Marcus. She says that stupid hat of yours needs to be controlled, eliminated.

Good day to you, sir.

elohiym

I would never lecture or think badly of anyone that made the choice to have a large father, but if someone would ask my opinion, I would explain to them what I see in scripture and how they should not do so at the expense of the rest of society.

I hope to address your points I disagree with when I have time.

Kids are a crap shoot, my son has been able to take care of himself and earn a decent living and eventually married a doctor so they are doing well.

My daughter on the other hand has made bad decision after bad decision, drugs, issues with the law, got pregnant before she was married, pretty much made every bad decision in the book. It took her till the age of 27 to wake up and go back to school to get her nursing degree while having a 3 and 6 year old at home. I am very proud of her right now.

Then on the other hand, you won the crap shoot, too. :) :p

Kids are a crap shoot.. some of the best parents have horrible kids and some of the worse parents have the best kids. I'm convinced they are born with a particular nature that no amount of parenting can change.

That's debatable.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Women should support another women's choice to have either no children or as many children as their bodies allow them to produce.

When I say *no children* that simply means not getting pregnant. I will never support abortion as a means of birth control.

The only thing I would add insofar as a woman having multiple children is that she should be reasonably able to care for them.

elohiym

Women should support another women's choice to have either no children or as many children as their bodies allow them to produce.

When I say *no children* that simply means not getting pregnant. I will never support abortion as a means of birth control.

The only thing I would add insofar as a woman having multiple children is that she should be reasonably able to care for them.

A reasonable position.

HisServant

Then on the other hand, you won the crap shoot, too. :) :p

But the cost was very high... bailing her out of jail, watching her waste away from being a junkie. Trying to find her and drop off grocery bags of food so she didn't starve. For about 3 years it was a living nightmare.... getting calls from her landlord for smoking and trashing the apartment she was living in while going to school (I got conned into cosigning it).

I just wanted to still be in her life and know she had me as a lifeline when she needed it and I didn't want to be an enabler. She is lucky she lived through it.

elohiym

But the cost was very high... bailing her out of jail, watching her waste away from being a junkie. Trying to find her and drop off grocery bags of food so she didn't starve. For about 3 years it was a living nightmare.... getting calls from her landlord for smoking and trashing the apartment she was living in while going to school (I got conned into cosigning it).

I'm sorry your family had to endure that. Thank God though, you still are a winner. God bless you for loving her through all that.

I just wanted to still be in her life and know she had me as a lifeline when she needed it and I didn't want to be an enabler. She is lucky she lived through it.

You sound like a great dad. :up:

1PeaceMaker

How can you as a Christian believe that children are innocent.

They were conceived in iniquity, as scripture so disturbingly puts it.

FYI, the belief that children are innocent is a pretty recent phenomenon in history.

David said that about his mother and father, but that only means that about them, for whatever reason, and doesn't set a doctrine in place. Marriage is honorable and the bed undefiled. I don't see any scriptural justification to call marital relations iniquity.

Actually the doctrine of original sin/total depravity isn't one that I see in the ancient religion or the teachings of the Bible.

Jesus clearly said that children were of the kingdom. There are plenty more scriptures that also make the point.

What could a little child be guilty of?

Last edited: