So. Bapt. leader: Chrstians should support homo-marriage rulings

So. Bapt. leader: Chrstians should support homo-marriage rulings

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'd say that if the law seeks to do us harm, works an evil against us, we must resist it. Likewise with another and if the law seeks to force us to do evil we should also resist.

But Moore is fighting the federal court telling him what he can't forbid another, which is to say he's being denied the ability to enforce his conscience on another. No evil is being worked on anyone, though some are free to work a moral harm against themselves... As someone sworn to serve the law if he cannot in good conscience administer it he should resign his office and protest the law as a citizen can. Else he is actively violating his own oath of office.

I chose undecided because the issue has distinctions of the sort that make the answer vary. And because "unjust" is often a subjective judgment, which would invite anarchy.

musterion

And because "unjust" is often a subjective judgment, which would invite anarchy.

Deliberately chosen for the poll question for just that reason. "Unbiblical," though, can be an easier case to make. Or not.

I lean on this where I always have, as reflected in my own vote: if, according to his/her understanding of the Bible, a Christian cannot in GOOD conscience carry out his/her job duties, whatever they may be, it's time for a new job. Society cannot be saved. No society ever has been.

Christian Liberty

Deliberately chosen for the poll question for just that reason. "Unbiblical," though, can be an easier case to make. Or not.

I lean on this where I always have, as reflected in my own vote: if, according to his/her understanding of the Bible, a Christian cannot in GOOD conscience carry out his/her job duties, whatever they may be, it's time for a new job. Society cannot be saved. No society ever has been.

Where does the Bible say no society can be saved?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I posted undecided. I believe in some cases we are justified in disobeying laws as believers, when those laws contradict what God would have us do- in other words lets say it was law that we give allegiance to the state before God.

I believe that we are suppose to follow the laws of the land untill those laws directly conflict with our relationship to God.

musterion

I posted undecided. I believe in some cases we are justified in disobeying laws as believers, when those laws contradict what God would have us do- in other words lets say it was law that we give allegiance to the state before God.

I believe that we are suppose to follow the laws of the land untill those laws directly conflict with our relationship to God.

Good comment. This makes me want to modify my vote.

Is there a clear command from Paul about civil disobedience, even in the face of godless leaders demanding we do that which we know dishonors God? Demanding we deny Christ and His Gospel of grace, for example? Not that I'm aware of. That's why I voted the way I did.

But do I believe we are bound to obey Christ come what may, even under those same circumstances? Yes I do. I take it as a given that believers would do so, as many have done throughout history and even today.

So maybe that's why there's no clear command to disobey even wicked authorities who are hostile to Christ. And perhaps Romans 12:18 covers it anyway: Live at peace with others, if it's possible and as far as it depends on us. But when the situation no longer depends on us...well...

drbrumley

I think here is the crux of the matter.....the example given is gay marriage or whatever you wanna call it. If that became a law, exactly how does this affect a Christian? It doesn't really since the government is NOT mandating a Christian to marry another of the same sex. Two men marrying is despicable we can all agree. But the truth of it is your not forced to marry another. So as a Christian, there is no law we are breaking. When the state does say we must marry two woman in a church, and that church objects, then the law can be rightfully broken. That is justified.

musterion

I think here is the crux of the matter.....the example given is gay marriage or whatever you wanna call it. If that became a law, exactly how does this affect a Christian?

The effect is that of rot. When conditions favor it and it is tolerated, rot never stops of its own accord. It spreads until there is nothing left for it to consume and destroy. Same moral principle applies here (substitute leaven if you like, since it is the biblical analogy).

Unlike CL, ACW and some others here, I for one have NO illusions that the rot will do anything but spread; you'll note the o.p. doesn't even reference the (im)possibility of stopping it, much less reversing it.

So as a Christian, there is no law we are breaking. When the state does say we must marry two woman in a church, and that church objects, then the law can be rightfully broken. That is justified.
But on what specific New Testament basis?

I am not saying I disagree with you. I don't. I'm just trying to make a deeper point than is usually considered in such matters...one which many conservative Christians seem to never consider or, I suspect, find uncomfortable if they do.