sin/sins is not the issue today!

Right Divider

Body part
The same reason anyone would want to - because they love the pleasures of sin. I have known many who I believed were saved at one time in their lives but they yielded to temptation and began living in sin. We can say things like that ought not to be but all to often they are.
There you go.

Shasta

Yes, it does, so why don't you believe it? You might not feel dead to sin, but it's a fact because God said it is.

Romans 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

We "grow into" being dead? Are we not crucified with Christ? Are we slowly crucified? I ask because Jerry seems to be trying to get you to believe that being dead to sin is a matter of slowly being made holy. That's his misunderstanding.

You're talking about our being conformed into the image of the Son. That is another matter, altogether.

In ordinary terminology sanctification is the practical outworking of salvation. In this nomenclature, a sanctification would be equivalent to what you call "being conformed to His Image." That is why I do not believe John Wesley's idea of entire sanctification. I believe we are forgiven but there is no one moment when we are completely conformed. I have met some people who had many Christ-like qualities but not that bore the image perfectly. Personally I do not worry about perfection. I was in a group that was always striving to die and it was misery and counter-productive at that. I do not worry about perfection. It is enough to walk with Him. God can measure my progress. Really the less I focus on myself the better I do.

I do not think we should in any way discount the immediate transformation that happens when a person is born again and the Spirit moves inside of them. Even that very first step is glorious. That one step becomes a walk whereby we are changed from glory to glory.

I believe we have to abide in His death. This is my understanding of Paul's revelation of our identification with the cross. At the same time walking in this is carried out incrementally as we yield our members to the Spirit.

"do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God (Romans 6:13)

Shasta

Shasta,
You expect people to act as you think they ought to act?

The only thing that is important is how God thinks we ought to act and He has made that pretty clear. The aim of the New Covenant was so that God could write his laws on our hearts, minds and consciences. Instead of just giving us a pilot's manual he moved the pilot inside us in the Person of the Holy Spirit. The purpose of this relationship with God, established through the death of the Son is so that:

the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit (Romans 8:4)

If anything I have learned that God does not command me to do anything that He does not enable me to do (Phil. 2:13). HOW He wants us to act is defined by the two greatest laws which necessarily excludes those long lists of sinful practices Paul often wrote about in his epistles (e.g., Galatians 5:19-21).

Paul the "Apostle of Grace" certainly did not put up with immorality going on in believers lives. He did not rejoice at their "liberty" as some in the Corinthian Church were doing. He actually did what the PC crowd constantly tells us NOT to do. He "judged" the man...and he was not even present to do it firsthand (1 Corinthians 5:3)

No I certainly would not set any pet peeve of mine as the standard of righteousness, but rather what God said...if that answers your question.

Shasta

So, you're the one who decides if a believer is changed enough to pass your test?

I cannot judge motives but actions are evident. In fact, we are told how to recognize true believers.

If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth (1 John 1:6)

Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, (1 John 2:4)

This person's continual way of life involves not keeping the moral law of God. If I saw a person living this way I would not identify them as a Christian.

No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God (1 John 3:9)

Salvation interrupts the sinful pattern of life.

Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him (1 John 3:15)

The cult John was writing against believed that their spiritual life had nothing to do with whether they obeyed the moral law.

Right Divider

Body part
I cannot judge motives but actions are evident. In fact, we are told how to recognize true believers.

If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth (1 John 1:6)

Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, (1 John 2:4)

This person's continual way of life involves not keeping the moral law of God. If I saw a person living this way I would not identify them as a Christian.

No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God (1 John 3:9)

Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him (1 John 3:15)

The cult John was writing against believed that their spiritual life had nothing to do with whether they obeyed the moral law.
So do you think that David was not saved?
Act 13:22 KJV And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.

glorydaz

When the Holy Spirit seals, indwells, and baptizes a "True Believer"
into the Body of Christ, it is a, Spiritual act performed on the believer.

It is done "within" that person. Just because YOU can't see it, doesn't
mean it hasn't transpired.

Indeed. There is always someone who will find fault in what another does. Then someone else will find fault in what that one does. Faults faults everywhere are faults. Some are small like worry and doubt. Some are big like looking at other people instead of themselves. That last is what irks me the most. ;)

glorydaz

Obeying the "commandments" has nothing to do with being "children of the light". Those IN CHRIST are in the LIGHT.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Yes, it's simple to show them, but that certainly doesn't mean they will see....or even want to see. There has to be a need that is recognized by the one being shown. First the person has to realize they are drowning.....
You can show anyone their need for the Saviour, and the gospel of Christ by the scriptures. It takes a moment and can save them for eternity!

heir

TOL Subscriber
Impossible, unless one wants to redefine the very word "regeneration" to mean "business as usual". :AMR:

AMR
The Calvinist sure knows a thing or two about redefining terms, heh? LOL

FYI: It was His washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost that was shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour!

Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Titus 3:6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

Titus 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

It is impossible for us to lose salvation!

Romans 8:38-39 KJV, Ephesians 1:13-14 KJV

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

FYI: It was His washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost that was shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour!

Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Titus 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

you and many others here make posts that help people. they help me, even if i'm the only one. nobody agrees on every detail but i get more pos than neg experiences here, i'm not kissing up to anyone or anything either, i'd say the same thing, no matter who makes good posts. thanks a whole big bunch -

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Romans 5

6 For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. 7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

:kookoo:

Good post.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

Good post.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Because the Holy Spirit will guide us into these truths. Once we are saved what must we do? Once you are born again you know something is different! But you are still battling the flesh. The bible is our instruction manual. Once born again and given the Spirit of God the Holy spirit will teach you how to live these things out. Yes, the bible does say once you are saved you are dead to sin and that is the ultimate truth that you grow into, but this is a process not an overall mindset from day 1. A born again believer will show lots of progess from day 1 to day 365. God didn't ask you to be Jesus in one day. It's growth.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
So do you think that David was not saved?
Act 13:22 KJV And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.

Good post. This post should give "Shasta" pause?

j4jesus09

Yes, it does, so why don't you believe it? You might not feel dead to sin, but it's a fact because God said it is.

Romans 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

We "grow into" being dead? Are we not crucified with Christ? Are we slowly crucified? I ask because Jerry seems to be trying to get you to believe that being dead to sin is a matter of slowly being made holy. That's his misunderstanding.

You're talking about our being conformed into the image of the Son. That is another matter, altogether.

Yes you are right you can feel like alot of things lol. What I was making mention of though is it takes time to know that ultimately we are dead to sin because we are not all knowing of what certain sins are sometimes. It's a matter of learning and trusting in God and being led by the Holy Spirit. The flesh is is overcome or defeated by TRUTH of the bible through constant prayer and meditation on God's words. To learn specific areas of truth takes time. That's all I was stating or answering when Jerry mentioned why does Paul state to mortify the flesh as if one is to be saved and we believe we can go live for the flesh. Of course not, once you are saved God gives us instruction on how to defeat our flesh or temptations. Before we were saved we had no power over sin. Once saved, the Holy Spirit gives us the power to resist and ultimately figure out that we are OVERCOMERS. Hope that clears it up.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Isn't unbelief a sympton of sin, missing the mark?
Whatsoever is not of faith is sin (Romans 14:23 KJV) and the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23 KJV). The good news is, Christ took the payoff (Romans 4:25 KJV, Romans 5:12-18 KJV). The good news is, all trespasses are forgiven (Colossians 2:13 KJV)! That includes unbelief (1 Timothy 1:13-16 KJV)! Trust the Lord believing that Christ died for YOUR sins and that He was buried and rose again the third day and you will be saved (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV)!