Should Children Be Executed If They've...

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
When you provide reasonable safeguards to protect the innocent, history shows life without parole is considerably cheaper. In the state of Texas, for example, the cost of executing someone is three times the entire cost of keeping them in prison for life.

So... You're saying that two or three witnesses establishing guilt of a capital crime in a speedy trial where the convicted criminal is then stoned is more expensive than "life in prison without parole"?

:idunno:

Seems like the only expense would be the effort it would take for the public to pick up some large enough stones and throw them, as opposed to all the millions of tax dollars required to keep a criminal alive for the rest of his life, and keep him comfortable, at that...

In other words, if it costs more to put someone to death who is worthy of death than it does to keep them alive and comfortable for the rest of their life, however long that may be, then there's something wrong with the system.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So... You're saying that two or three witnesses establishing guilt of a capital crime in a speedy trial where the convicted criminal is then stoned is more expensive than "life in prison without parole"?

:idunno:

Seems like the only expense would be the effort it would take for the public to pick up some large enough stones and throw them, as opposed to all the millions of tax dollars required to keep a criminal alive for the rest of his life, and keep him comfortable, at that...

In other words, if it costs more to put someone to death who is worthy of death than it does to keep them alive and comfortable for the rest of their life, however long that may be, then there's something wrong with the system.
They add up the costs of housing a murderer for years, lawyer fees for appeals and other things.

Ie, they think their method of executing people is the one we would endorse.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
They add up the costs of housing a murderer for years, lawyer fees for appeals and other things.

Ie, they think their method of executing people is the one we would endorse.

Talk about a giant waste of money. I could use those tax dollars for better things!

It's just like the large sums of money politicians use up just so they can get elected/re-elected every few years. That money could be better used elsewhere.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
uh-oh Tard alert! Tard alert! looks like we better go to Tard-Con 1 on this one! not ridiculous retarded only if you're retarded :idunno: what, you mean out of the hundreds and hundreds of people posting here every day? :chuckle: :freak: you think a six year old is a toddler?
Let's be fair, anyone who thinks a baby could rightly be executed is either retarded or...

:think:

No, I got nothing else. He's retarded.

And this from the type who endorse baby-killing.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Given that "Jerry Shugart" is in the business of condemning those that engage in "smearing," what words of wisdom does he have predicament that Senator Ted Cruz's children are confronting - President Trump has accused their grandfather of being a conspirator in the assassination of President John F Kennedy? Given that we all know that "The Donald" would never lie, it does appear odd that someone accused of comspiring to assassinate the President is still allowed to roam freely!

Why are we talking about Donaldtrump?

Kit the Coyote

:rotfl:

How much does a rock cost?

How much does an innocent life cost?

There has never been a legal system in Human history where innocents were not falsely convicted. If you think it is not possible to produce two witnesses to convict an innocent man and throw the first rock, you have never studied the hanging times of Jim Crow laws.

I will happily support your idea of a legal system when you can demonstrate a 100% guarantee that the innocent will be protected.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How much does an innocent life cost?
Non sequitur.

Your contention was that life imprisonment would be more expensive than execution. Executions could cost as much as it takes to get enough rocks on the perp, obviously far cheaper than a lifetime of food, accommodation and entertainment.

There has never been a legal system in Human history where innocents were not falsely convicted. If you think it is not possible to produce two witnesses to convict an innocent man and throw the first rock, you have never studied the hanging times of Jim Crow laws.
:AMR:

These are arguments from emotion and consequence. Try something rational.

I will happily support your idea of a legal system when you can demonstrate a 100% guarantee that the innocent will be protected.

I will happily support your ideas if you can guarantee no guilty men go free. :plain:

Kit the Coyote

Non sequitur.

Your contention was that life imprisonment would be more expensive than execution. Executions could cost as much as it takes to get enough rocks on the perp, obviously far cheaper than a lifetime of food, accommodation, and entertainment.

You left out the critical bit. I said in a legal system that has adequate safeguards to protect the innocent, life without parole is cheaper. You can't ignore the innocent argument just because it is inconvenient.

:AMR:

These are arguments from emotion and consequence. Try something rational.

You can say that saving innocent lives from unjust execution at the hands of the state is emotional but it is still a relevant argument. If you cannot simply ignore it. A guilty person may go free and he may take innocent lives but that blood is on his head and hands. If we as a society execute an innocent person, that life and blood are on our heads.

I will happily support your ideas if you can guarantee no guilty men go free. :plain:

By that standard, your system is not acceptable either, as there is no guarantee that guilty men will not go free with it. What if there is only one witness, what if there are no witnesses? You are only offering to convict more of the guilty not all of them and to do so by unjustly killing the innocent.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Committing a capitol crime requires intent. A soldier going to war has the intent to kill the enemy. Is he guilty of murder when he does so? A 3 year old playing with a loaded gun kills a family member. How do you prove a 3 year old had the intent to murder the family member? A woman lives in extreme abuse for years and that abuse is now being directed towards her children. She finally kills her abuser. Is she guilty of murder or is it self defense and defense of her children?

When does a person poses the ability to form criminal intent? This is an extremely difficult question to answer. I don't know if any magic age that works for everybody. Some people, such as serial killers, can start to show signs of what they will become at very early ages when they start to torture and kill animals.

In short, I cannot see any reasonable argument for executing young children for capitol offenses.

Last edited:

Arthur Brain

Let's be fair, anyone who thinks a baby could rightly be executed is either retarded or...

No, I got nothing else. He's retarded.

And this from the type who endorse baby-killing.

You must be suffering from a lack of reading comprehension if you think that was actually said. The example of a baby was used to affirm just how pathetic it is to argue that it's righteous to execute young children as adults.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
God said to execute capital criminals.
And not to eat shellfish. All sorts of things, really. He held Israel to some tough standards, that's for certain. We don't execute our criminals here for the most part, though it varies by state and more states than not still have it on the books.

We let too many guilty people go free, which has led to the crime epidemic.
You should change your system then. It's different over here. And we don't have a crime epidemic here either. What sort of hell-hole state do you live in? Whatever your nation of origin and residence, I hope you get a handle on it without killing a lot of people.

Capital criminals should be executed upon conviction regardless of their age.
What about lower case killers?

That way, people will learn that murder is bad and it won't happen.
Cause that's really at the heart of it. People just don't realize how bad murder is...:thumb:

Or if it does, it will be shocking.
Nothing worse than the old, boring, pedestrian murders. :thumb:

That's because you hate justice and have no idea what the law is or what it's for.
Nah, though I am amused by idiotic assumption and faux argument, which makes your post a win/win.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And not to eat shellfish.

Nope. He actually said: "Get up, kill and eat" and "do not call unclean that which has been made clean."

Shellfish rules changed.

Capital punishment did not.

We don't have a crime epidemic here.

:darwinsm:
78606d4297dec23a4645ec04f92096e1.jpg

Wait, that's not overly funny, is it? :plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Nope. He actually said: "Get up, kill and eat" and "do not call unclean that which has been made clean."
You mean later. First you couldn't eat it. Then you could.

Shellfish rules changed.
You think?

Capital punishment did not.
I believe you believe that.

I believe our relationship to the law isn't the relationship Israel had under the Mosaic law.

:darwinsm:Wait, that's not overly funny, is it?
No, but then no one said it is.

Maybe it's a culture thing. Is that funny where you live? If so is it a part of an epidemic?

And what's the over/under on JR liking it if you just post some punctuation? :think:

Speaking of faux outrage and gravity:
:rotfl:

How much does a rock cost?

You just can't get out of your own way, can you?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I believe you believe that.
That's nice.

We prefer the law. Words in stone. They don't care what you believe.

I believe our relationship to the law isn't the relationship Israel had under the Mosaic law.
That's right. Salvation is no longer of Israel; it is now of grace.

However, salvation is a separate topic; we are talking about the law.

Jesus said the law would not pass away. Do you think He lied? Or maybe there is a difference between shellfish and murder. We could go have a look at the passages that deal with unclean animals — test your assertions about what the law is about.

Or we could just ignore your "beliefs" and stick with God's word, you know: Justice. :up:

No, but then no one said it is.Maybe it's a culture thing. Is that funny where you live? If so is it a part of an epidemic?And what's the over/under on JR liking it if you just post some punctuation? :think:

Not too bright, are you.

It's laughable that you would deny that the US had a murder epidemic. You're laughable; the murder epidemic is not.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Speaking of faux outrage and gravity:You just can't get out of your own way, can you?

What? :AMR:

Are you upset now?

Or do you just not understand?

Whatsisname says that executing a murderer is more expensive than feeding, housing and entertaining him for the rest of his life. That's laughable, even if he is comparing your system to your system.

By contrast to the decades a perp in Texas can spend on death row, not to mention lawyers, the Bible endorses a swift and painful execution, ie, rocks shortly after conviction.

Nothing expensive about rocks.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What? :AMR:

Are you upset now?
No. Do you want me to be or just hope for it?

Or do you just not understand?

Whatsisname says that executing a murderer is more expensive than feeding, housing and entertaining him for the rest of his life. That's laughable, even if he is comparing your system to your system.
I don't really care how you contort to keep up the pretext that your faux indignation about my taking your efforts lightly is one thing and you mocking within the same conversational topic is another.

You threw that rock in a glass house.