SELF - Selfishness

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
this may be a bold statement. I tend to boil things down, maybe over simplifying. that is, after i have thought of many details. Basically, in a nutshell, people just want to FEEL GOOD. whatever we're talking about, in the end people want to feel good. Nobody wants to feel bad. if they do, then feeling bad somehow helps them feel good. It's a very superficial, material, SELFISH world. Most people, after they "feel good", want to "feel" better. we all want more feel good moments, whatever it takes sometimes. There are very few TRULY Unselfish people. i am certainly not saying i am one of those people. Just an observation. as i personally became more aware of this "human condition" over my brief time on earth, it has helped me think of others more and curb my selfishness. Self analysis, although possibly uncomfortable, is absolutely necessary. kind of a obvious type thought and thread maybe, but compared to half the threads on here, it's pretty darn good. jk - :patrol:

Last edited:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The best way for a person to feel good, is to focus
on what is good . . and only God is good.

So keep your thoughts upon Jesus, and everything else will fade away.

Amen brother/sister - i should have ended with that statement on the OP ! ! ! - :cool:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
lol. this thread won't get bumped and die, because nobody is selfish. in fact, most people are so unselfish they don't even want to think about it. - :shut:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I think this is an excellent thread. All sin begins with selfishness.

thanks, i forgot to end the OP on a happy (feel good) note. personally, i've tried finding happiness, joy, pleasure and fun in many different forms. all the while, intending to "get serious" about God and Jesus and Life. i was always waiting for the right time, or circumstances. i find real joy in loving and thinking of others now. even people with families, spouses or partners, great careers and opportunities for growth, drift apart and end up in turmoil. i knew if i humbled myself and made efforts to NOT be "selfish", i might "feel better". i finally became comfortable with myself and stopped constantly wanting "more" and started to be content with who where i am in life and how much God has Blessed me. i was a person that liked to blame people and things. nothing was ever all my fault, always a reason. blame. some people blame God for terrible things. that doesn't work either. when i took the time to REALLY read and UNDERSTAND The Bible years ago, that's when i saw change in my life. hindsight. why wait. even non-believers can benefit from scripture, and who knows, maybe gain a new perspective. SELF is the constant battle between the flesh and The Spirit. The Spirit always tells us what's right. the flesh doesn't always listen. call it intuition or the inner voice. third eye. deep down we know it's God ! Quiet. Listen - :shut:

Bradley D

There is a gospel song that goes "Everyone wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Many want all the things their sinful nature is attracted to and at the same time claim they are Christians going to heaven. Human nature once it has all its basic needs reaches out for more. A Christian learns by the Word what is really important in life. However, many preachers with high overhead for their buildings, salaries, etc. teach a mild gospel and do not want to upset the sinner in the pew.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by patrick jane

All sin starts with selfishness - self. No matter the crime or sin, it always starts with selfishness/self. Think about it
It is the height of idolatry...serving and exalting self.
Yes

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Being selfless is the most selfish thing you can do, when you stop and consider it.

The problem is that people want to work that backwards and it never does. So no, you don't need to love yourself before you can love others. In fact, it's impossible to do. You'll never be willing to sacrifice yourself for yourself, never put your own interests above your own, or think of yourself second when you think of yourself. And on and on.

If you want to learn to love it begins outside of yourself, as people go.

Lon

John 12:24 Matthew 16:24,25 Colossians 3:3

Things I've come to believe:

1) Self and selfishness are not necessarily the same
2) My identity, my worth, is found in Christ alone. We are not just 'self' unless we are without Him. Psychology doesn't apprehend such.
3) The more my reason for doing something is The Lord Jesus Christ, the less I'm thinking about 'how that makes me feel' but it is right. One day, 1John 3:3, we are going to be better at self, and fully in Christ, at the same time. 1 Corinthians 13:12

4) This is also a theology discussion, not just 'the rest' discussion.