Scripture. What is considered Scripture?

2003cobra

Actually, I edited it before I saw your post. Everybody knows women are referred to as "busybodies" and gossipers, which Lon already noted.

It appears you have nothing to offer on the question of whether the centurion came to Jesus and spoke to Jesus, as Matthew declares, or whether the centurion did not come to Jesus and did not speak to Jesus, as Luke declares.

If you are consistent with your lack of response on the other errors, I expect you be unwilling to even try to explain the error.

daqq

Also there was a certain nobleman, (βασιλικος), whose son was sick at a Village of Comfort, (Kapher-Nahum). This one, having heard that Ι̅H was come out of Yhudah into the Galilah, came to him, and besought him that he would come down and heal his son: for he was about to die off. Ι̅H therefore said to him, If you do not see signs and omens you will not be convinced? The nobleman said to him, Adoni, please come down before my servant-child dies. Ι̅H said to him, Go your way, your son lives! And the certain one believed the Word which Ι̅H had spoken to him, and he went his way. And as he was presently going down his servants met him and told him, saying, Your child lives! He then inquired of them the hour when he began to amend: they said thus to him, Yesterday at the seventh hour the fever left him.

Every talmid has a "nobleman", and-or a "centurion of great faith", and all the remnant too: some for the good, (right hand side), and some for the evil, (left hand side), but in the end it all works toward the good for those who love Elohim. :)

2003cobra

The bottom line lady, is you're not here to edify or uplift anyone or learn anything. You already know enough.

On this threads I am here to encourage believers to stop spreading a false doctrine that turns people away from the gospel.

I do learn in the process.

And it is clear that you aren’t here to try to defend the false doctrine in any meaningful or helpful way.

John w used to call me “son,” until he realized I am his elder. He also used other, less pleasant names.

You call me “lady” despite the fact that you know that I am a man. I am also a father and a grandfather.

Another describes me:
You can't think out of a paper bag and assume everybody else is just as bad. Be truthful, C's and C- in school, right? It shows...You can go sit in the back of the class now and put your head down in shame for your disobedience...You are too thick to be taught...Were you raised in a one room school house where they had to pass you because you were all below par?...I'm smarter than you...you are not intelligent enough to talk to me.

Glory has had some less than flattering terms for me.

So, while I have tried to talk about the facts of what the scriptures actually say and the dangers of turning a false doctrine into a core doctrine, the adherents of the false doctrine seem to take out their frustrations with name calling and insults.

It is uplifting to those oppressed by the intellectual dishonesty of pretending no errors exist when they clearly see errors to see that there is no reason to follow that false doctrine. It is not a teaching of scripture.

We don’t have to wish away reality to be followers of Jesus, not the reality of scriptures or science.

God never promised us a perfect book. We don’t need to pad the resume of the Bible.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
On this threads I am here to encourage believers to stop spreading a false doctrine that turns people away from the gospel.

I do learn in the process.

And it is clear that you aren’t here to try to defend the false doctrine in any meaningful or helpful way.

John w used to call me “son,” until he realized I am his elder. He also used other, less pleasant names.

You call me “lady” despite the fact that you know that I am a man. I am also a father and a grandfather.

Another describes me:
You can't think out of a paper bag and assume everybody else is just as bad. Be truthful, C's and C- in school, right? It shows...You can go sit in the back of the class now and put your head down in shame for your disobedience...You are too thick to be taught...Were you raised in a one room school house where they had to pass you because you were all below par?...I'm smarter than you...you are not intelligent enough to talk to me.

Glory has had some less than flattering terms for me.

So, while I have tried to talk about the facts of what the scriptures actually say and the dangers of turning a false doctrine into a core doctrine, the adherents of the false doctrine seem to take out their frustrations with name calling and insults.

It is uplifting to those oppressed by the intellectual dishonesty of pretending no errors exist when they clearly see errors to see that there is no reason to follow that false doctrine. It is not a teaching of scripture.

We don’t have to wish away reality to be followers of Jesus, not the reality of scriptures or science.

God never promised us a perfect book. We don’t need to pad the resume of the Bible.
I don't consider believing and trusting every word of the Bible as a doctrine, and certainly not a false doctrine. In fact, I rarely hear a preacher or teacher give a sermon on the "perfect Bible" it's your own personal obsession.

Why not start your own thread about errors because that was not the purpose of Jacob in this thread. You can list every single "error" you've found and share your vast knowledge of scripture. Then whoever so chooses, can answer and rebut your claims.

2003cobra

I don't consider believing and trusting every word of the Bible as a doctrine, and certainly not a false doctrine. In fact, I rarely hear a preacher or teacher give a sermon on the "perfect Bible" it's your own personal obsession.

Why not start your own thread about errors because that was not the purpose of Jacob in this thread. You can list every single "error" you've found and share your vast knowledge of scripture. Then whoever so chooses, can answer and rebut your claims.

You don’t trust every word.

You either trust that the centurion came to Jesus and spoke to Jesus or that he didn’t.

You either trust Luke or Matthew in that story. You can’t trust both because they differ.

And the doctrine of inerrancy of the Bible in its entirety is not found in scripture.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Also there was a certain nobleman, (βασιλικος), whose son was sick at a Village of Comfort, (Kapher-Nahum). This one, having heard that Ι̅H was come out of Yhudah into the Galilah, came to him, and besought him that he would come down and heal his son: for he was about to die off. Ι̅H therefore said to him, If you do not see signs and omens you will not be convinced? The nobleman said to him, Adoni, please come down before my servant-child dies. Ι̅H said to him, Go your way, your son lives! And the certain one believed the Word which Ι̅H had spoken to him, and he went his way. And as he was presently going down his servants met him and told him, saying, Your child lives! He then inquired of them the hour when he began to amend: they said thus to him, Yesterday at the seventh hour the fever left him.

Every talmid has a "nobleman", and-or a "centurion of great faith", and all the remnant too: some for the good, (right hand side), and some for the evil, (left hand side), but in the end it all works toward the good for those who love Elohim. :)

This indeed is an edifying perspective. Thanks Daqq.

Even though there is evidence for and against it, I lean toward this being the same event as recorded in Matthew and Luke.

I used to presume that Luke must have been with the Apostle's from the beginning.
Partially due to Cobra pointing out some things I am not so adamant on that point.

On the other hand Matthew and John were eyewitnesses.
I see John's account as being more from an attitude of love and not going into details that would cause envy or strife.
Matthew being a former tax collector and suffering derogatory treatment from the religious sector probably wouldn't feel the same.

On a side note, I'm kinda like Peter and wonder how ornery John really was, beings those forgiven much love much.

Last edited:

daqq

This indeed is an edifying perspective.

Even though there is evidence for and against it, I lean toward this being the same event as recorded in Matthew and Luke.

I used to presume that Luke must have been with the Apostle's from the beginning.
Partially due to Cobra pointing out some things I am not so adamant on that point.

On the other hand Matthew and John were eyewitnesses.
I see John's account as being more from an attitude of love and not going into details that would cause envy or strife.
Matthew being a former tax collector and suffering derogatory treatment from the religious sector probably wouldn't feel the same.

On a side note, I'm kinda like Peter and wonder how ornery John really was, beings those forgiven much love much.

I really meant that: every disciple has his, (or her), own basilikos-nobleman "future inheritor of the kingdom", (Gal 4:1-2), which is likened to a centurion or captain of a hundred(fold fruit), and that one is the one with the greatest faith/faithfulness just like father Abraham. Cornelius is another perfect example. Look in this direction if only for a little while: what if each author is telling you a little something about himself within the story without mentioning that it is himself so as not to boast? The drive to conflate, assimilate, and harmonize every account into what is assumed to be "perfect agreement" according to the carnal minded man is why we are where we are now with textual variants, (scribes trying to harmonize things that were never intended to be harmonized to begin with). Another good example of faulty "harmonization" attempts would be the possessed duo of the Gergesenos, the one from the Gadarenos, and the one from the Gerasenos, which are not one but three different events in three different locations, (three different disciples too!). :chuckle:

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
I really meant that: every disciple has his, (or her), own basilikos-nobleman "future inheritor of the kingdom", (Gal 4:1-2), which is likened to a centurion or captain of a hundred(fold fruit), and that one is the one with the greatest faith/faithfulness just like father Abraham. Cornelius is another perfect example. Look in this direction if only for a little while: what if each author is telling you a little something about himself within the story without mentioning that it is himself so as not to boast? The drive to conflate, assimilate, and harmonize every account into what is assumed to be "perfect agreement" according to the carnal minded man is why we are where we are now with textual variants, (scribes trying to harmonize things that were never intended to be harmonized to begin with). Another good example of faulty "harmonization" attempts would be the possessed duo of the Gergesenos, the one from the Gadarenos, and the one from the Gerasenos, which are not one but three different events in three different locations, (three different disciples too!). :chuckle:

Definitely food for thought.

Lon

Lon asks:
Er, no. How many centurions were there?

Have you read the story, Lon?

Have you read both stories?

Apparently not.
Again a hasty assumption...on both counts. BECAUSE you are quick rather than contemplative, it lends to the simpleton persona. Stop, think THEN respond. Rather, I do remember, in college, one of the resolves was that these are two completely different stories (wouldn't be the first time). REGARDLESS, you have NO grounds to accuse yet. You just do that naturally. It is in your nature. "Error." Done deal for you. Again, as with me, I believe you do it with the scriptures as well. You really do NOT study a matter out. You don't care. Don't argue with me. We are discussing rather, how we both come to a text. It is about presuppositions, yours and mine.

Jesus makes it clear this man’s faith was unique. See the text:
I don't care. As I said, you CANNOT build a case for error. It cannot be done. ALL you can do is point out a discrepancy. You are no judge, jury, or witness. Fact. You have no business getting into the Lord's business. You are being a gossip and a busy-body.

Matthew 8 When he entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, appealing to him 6 and saying, "Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, in terrible distress." 7 And he said to him, "I will come and cure him." 8 The centurion answered, "Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof; but only speak the word, and my servant will be healed. 9 For I also am a man under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to one, "Go,' and he goes, and to another, "Come,' and he comes, and to my slave, "Do this,' and the slave does it." 10When Jesus heard him, he was amazed and said to those who followed him, "Truly I tell you, in no one in Israel have I found such faith.

Luke 7 After Jesus had finished all his sayings in the hearing of the people, he entered Capernaum. 2 A centurion there had a slave whom he valued highly, and who was ill and close to death. 3 When he heard about Jesus, he sent some Jewish elders to him, asking him to come and heal his slave. 4When they came to Jesus, they appealed to him earnestly, saying, "He is worthy of having you do this for him, 5 for he loves our people, and it is he who built our synagogue for us." 6 And Jesus went with them, but when he was not far from the house, the centurion sent friends to say to him, "Lord, do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you come under my roof; 7 therefore I did not presume to come to you. But only speak the word, and let my servant be healed.8 For I also am a man set under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to one, "Go,' and he goes, and to another, "Come,' and he comes, and to my slave, "Do this,' and the slave does it." 9 When Jesus heard this he was amazed at him, and turning to the crowd that followed him, he said, "I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith." 10 When those who had been sent returned to the house, they found the slave in good health
Yes, yes. I know. Was Matthew talking about the next day? Do you know? Do I know? Does anybody know? :nono: Nope. You are guessing at error. That's your modus operandi. Me? I don't care. It's gossip. Accusatory. Rumor. Unfoundable accusation. It is the way you operate vs the way I operate. THAT is what we are talking about, not each and every little fire of rumor you want to start. Quick judgments are sins. Nobody is guilty without a trial. You nor I are capable of such. You aren't a lawyer. I'm really not sue-happy. I think that mindset, existing in many many citizens of the U.S. and abroad, infects and is wrong. We want to sue for every and anything. It is our first thought rather than our last, and regretfully, as it SHOULD be the last. You seem to me, to be caught in this mindset. Worse? Over the scriptures. Daqq has been addressing your discrepancies. Who is getting attention? Me. I'm not the one talking about the differences but in way of passing. I'm talking about why we think the way we do. Why we jump to one conclusion or another. I 'think' scripture calls us to 'jump to believe all things and HARDLY noticing when (if) someone gets it wrong. You are screaming a supposed wrong from the rooftops! Don't you like 1 Corinthians 13???

Again, you have grasped for a straw where there was none.
You still don't get it. You must think you are brilliant or something. You are the accuser AND it is hearsay. You want me to come to some unity with you over a rumor, a piece of gossip. You have NO idea why Matthew wrote one way and Luke the other. Instead of nodding at the difference, noting it, and moving along, you've gone the extra mile in speculation and rumor. YOU did. I didn't. YOU did that.

Also, about this:
BUT PLEASE DO NOT CONTINUE GOSSIPPING WITH THE NEXT ISSUE YOU HAVE!

I remind you of a sample of what you wrote:
I STILL believe that assessment. It was a question. See the question marks? ??? See them? You are a 'hasty' man. Not a 'careful' man.

I do find some irony in your lecture, when I am trying to talk about what the scriptures actually say, the facts of the matter.
Absolutely reciprocated. I STILL believe my assessment. "Okay (in my head) so you (Cobra) aren't as smart as I am. What now? Do I drill this over and over? Do I ignore the guy because he cannot listen? Do I have mercy and hope that God can help him with his illogical error in simpleton thinking?"

Rather than put out your every fire (you are clearly STUCK in inability to assess your own ONE plain of thought as being two dimensional). I've instead, chose to address 'us.' Comparison? There has to be a tiny bit of frustration between one who 'gets it' on one side and one who doesn't. We move to trouble shooting for as long as my patience holds. I realize I'm arrogant-looking for it but HOPEFULLY you see a bit of integrity and concern behind taking up the 'instructor' role. I'm assuming it and have had a history of no mean success. Goal? The Lord Jesus Christ and honor to Him. If it doesn't happen, I've prayer and rely on Him heavily. I'm nothing without Him so this is God's conversation John 15:5 If it doesn't work, I leave you in His more than capable hands. He knows what He is doing and I'm unprofitable but for His use and glory.

In Him -Lon

Last edited:

Lon

You don’t trust every word.

You either trust that the centurion came to Jesus and spoke to Jesus or that he didn’t.
:nono: No, that is you. YOU see one of them as wrong, therefore it is you. You don't trust ONE of the accounts.

Conversely? Patrick Jane trusts both. He 'sees' the difference BUT doesn't jump the gun and stop trusting one. He holds them both before God AND leaves them there, in God's hands, where they belong. THAT is what John W was talking about. Between the lines, John W said a LOT of good things. Look for those. He was right.

You either trust Luke or Matthew in that story.
:nono: YOUR position.

You can’t trust both because they differ.
There, you said. "[I, Cobra], cannot trust either Matthew or Luke."

Listen to yourself. You are right.

And the doctrine of inerrancy of the Bible in its entirety is not found in scripture.
Yes it is. It is the 'default' positions. Read 1 Corinthians 13 again: "Believes all things, hopes all things." YOU too, are called to that kind of Christianity, the one where Paul says NOT to entertain accusation without two or three witnesses. YOU are entertaining the accusations. You found them AND believed them. QUESTION: If there are NO witnesses... SHOULD you entertain an accusation? What does scripture say? 1 Timothy 5:19

Lon

Er, no. How many centurions were there? Just one? :think: I don't care what you 'think' is wrong. To me, it is simply 'something to ask God.'

Thank you for the extra mile. I'm always humbled by grace. We've bumped heads and don't agree on all theology, so a show of such has a lot of meaning for me, Daqq. Thank you. In Him -Lon

2003cobra

Lon writes:
I don't care. As I said, you CANNOT build a case for error. It cannot be done. ALL you can do is point out a discrepancy. You are no judge, jury, or witness. Fact. You have no business getting into the Lord's business. You are being a gossip and a busy-body.

I know you don’t care what the text actually says, if the text contradicts the false doctrine of inerrancy.

You can’t build a case for there not being an error. It cannot be done.

You are not the judge, jury, and witness who can rewrite the text to eliminate the error.

False doctrines are the Lord’s business, what makes you think you have the right to support a,man-made tradition contradicted by scripture?

You wrote:
Was Matthew talking about the next day?

Read the text. The first two verses of the story in Matthew shows that is not possible.

Again, you deny what the Bible says to support your man-made tradition.

I could comment on your continued insults of me, but I prefer to focus on what the scriptures say.

Why are there minor, insignificant errors in the gospels? Perhaps so you will not persist in pushing this man-made tradition not found in scripture.

2003cobra

:nono: No, that is you. YOU see one of them as wrong, therefore it is you. You don't trust ONE of the accounts.

Conversely? Patrick Jane trusts both. He 'sees' the difference BUT doesn't jump the gun and stop trusting one. He holds them both before God AND leaves them there, in God's hands, where they belong. THAT is what John W was talking about. Between the lines, John W said a LOT of good things. Look for those. He was right.

:nono: YOUR position.

There, you said. "[I, Cobra], cannot trust either Matthew or Luke."

Listen to yourself. You are right.

Yes it is. It is the 'default' positions. Read 1 Corinthians 13 again: "Believes all things, hopes all things." YOU too, are called to that kind of Christianity, the one where Paul says NOT to entertain accusation without two or three witnesses. YOU are entertaining the accusations. You found them AND believed them. QUESTION: If there are NO witnesses... SHOULD you entertain an accusation? What does scripture say? 1 Timothy 5:19

“Believe all things, hope all things” is your scriptural support for a false doctrine not found in scripture?

We have three witnesses proving the doctrine of inerrancy is false: Matthew, Mark, and Luke.

If you want to use the instruction to believe all things, Paul did not mean believe lies and fantasies of man. Why would you take such a ridiculous stand? If you believe all things, why not believe God had an angel speak to Joseph Smith?
Wouldn’t all things include that?