Samuel Alito

drbrumley

elohiym said:
Initially, yes, or he never would have gotten in office. Are you saying that Kennedy didn't claim to be Catholic, or follow Catholic doctrines? Are you claiming that the Catholic Church did not endorse Kennedy's candidacy?

Kennedy made the mistake of trying to go against the will of the Pope, whether or not he understood that was what he was doing. The Vatican wanted the United States to escalate the war in Vietnam, and Kennedy was about to pull us out. Immediately following Kennedy's assasination, Johnson escalated our involvement in Vietnam.

Truly, this is such a big topic and covers so much history, you are not going to understand my position in a few short posts.

The Catholics wanted the Vietnam War? I have NEVER heard this in my life. Maybe you can elaborate on a new thread.

drbrumley

I understand that Alito is a Catholic. I also understand he will be the vote to make the death penalty fade away.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
elohiym said:
Please don't think I miss your point, BB. Johnson wasn't a Catholic. I realize that.

You gotta admit that was a good comeback. :D

My problem with Catholic candidates is that they claim to be loyal members of a Church which is also a foriegn nation, with its own head of state. I would have just as much problem with any dual national holding office.

What's the difference between that and a Christian Judge who puts the Bible before US Law?

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Dread Helm said:
Except he doesn't know how the law should be applied, or practiced. He's a rabid pro-abort! R v. W should not be applied or practiced.

You've been listening to too many religious wackos, Dread.

The dems are so sure that Alito is going to reverse Roe v Wade they are still considering [or at least threatening] a fillibuster.

drbrumley

BillyBob said:

The dems are so sure that Alito is going to reverse Roe v Wade they are still considering [or at least threatening] a fillibuster.

Well, the dems are wrong, as usual. All this is is politializing an issue of right and wrong.

drbrumley

BillyBob said:

And may i remind you that the Republicans have no desire to overturn Roe either.

elohiym

BillyBob said:
You gotta admit that was a good comeback. :D
Yes. It was a good comeback against the point you thought I was making. ;)

BillyBob said:
What's the difference between that and a Christian Judge who puts the Bible before US Law?

What is the difference between an American Christian becoming a U.S. judge and a Chinese national becoming a U.S. judge? Foriegn nationality.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
elohiym said:
What is the difference between an American Christian becoming a U.S. judge and a Chinese national becoming a U.S. judge? Foriegn nationality.

Alito is Chinese? :noway:

elohiym

drbrumley said:
The Catholics wanted the Vietnam War? I have NEVER heard this in my life. Maybe you can elaborate on a new thread.
I didn't say that "Catholics wanted the Vietnam war." I said the Vatican wanted it. Most Catholics are ignorant of these things.

The Catholic Church had watched the advances of communism in Indo-China with a greater concern even than the U.S. She had more at stake than anyone else, including the French themselves: almost four hundred years of Catholic activities. Seen from Rome, the rapid expansion of world communism had become even more terrifying than for Washington. The Vatican had witnessed whole nations, those of Eastern Europe swallowed up by Soviet Russia, with millions of Catholics passing under Communist rule. In addition, traditional Catholic countries like Italy and France were harboring growing Communist parties. For the Vatican, therefore, it was even more imperative than for the U.S. to prosecute a policy directed at stopping communism wherever it could be stopped. It became inevitable that the Vatican and the U.S. should come together to stop the same enemy. The two having soon formulated a common strategy turned themselves into veritable partners.

The exercise was nothing new to the Vatican. It had a striking precedent as far as how to conduct an alliance with a mighty lay companion, to fight the advance of a seemingly irresistible enemy. After World War I, a similar situation developed in Europe. Communism was making rapid advances throughout the West. The existing democratic institutions seemed impotent to contain it. When, therefore, a forcible right wing movement appeared on the scene declaring communism as its principal foe, the Vatican allied itself to it. The movement was Fascism. It stopped communism in Italy as well as in Germany with Nazism. The Vatican Fascist alliance had successfully prevented Soviet Russia from taking over Europe. Although it ended in disaster with the outbreak of World War II, nevertheless, its original policy of breaking the power of communism had succeeded.

You can read about the religious origins of the Vietnam war where I got that quote from.

elohiym

BillyBob said:
Alito is Chinese? :noway:
No he is a member of the Catholic Church, which is controlled by a foriegn government, with its own head of state. It is not a religious test I want for Alito, but a simple question: Is your loyalty to the United States above your loyalty to the Pope?

If Alito was a Chinese national, we should ask him if his loyalty is to the United States or to the leader of China.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
elohiym said:
No he is a member of the Catholic Church, which is controlled by a foriegn government, with its own head of state. It is not a religious test I want for Alito, but a simple question: Is your loyalty to the United States above your loyalty to the Pope?

If Alito was a Chinese national, we should ask him if his loyalty is to the United States or to the leader of China.

What would you say if Alito claimed to be a Christian and puts his loyalty to the Bible above his loyalty to defend the Constituition and be a fair Justice?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
BillyBob said:

I doubt that the Dems in the Senate really believe that but they sure want the rank and file Dem to believe it. They wouldn't be very convincing if they didn't rattle their sabers a little now would they?

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
deardelmar said:
I doubt that the Dems in the Senate really believe that but they sure want the rank and file Dem to believe it. They wouldn't be very convincing if they didn't rattle their sabers a little now would they?

Let me ask you this: 'Do you think that democrat Senators are ideologically pro abortion?'

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
BillyBob said:
Let me ask you this: 'Do you think that democrat Senators are ideologically pro abortion?'
Yes! they are just like the RE-Publican Senators that are ideologically pro abortion.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
CRASH said:
Yes! they [democrats] are just like the RE-Publican Senators that are ideologically pro abortion.

If that is true, then why are they [democrats] against Alito if he is pro abortion? You'd think they would welcome him to the Supreme Court. :think:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
BillyBob said:
Sure, I just don't think the reason they apose Alito has that much to do with thinking he will overturn Roe.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
BillyBob said:
If that is true, then why are they [democrats] against Alito if he is pro abortion? You'd think they would welcome him to the Supreme Court. :think:
He is more conservative than your basic commie that much is true. He probobly even watches Fox News fromm time to time! Oh My!

elohiym

BillyBob said:
What would you say if Alito claimed to be a Christian and puts his loyalty to the Bible above his loyalty to defend the Constituition and be a fair Justice?
His loyalty to the Bible would ensure his defense of the Constitution, and ensure that he would be a fair justice.

But if Alito is a "good" Catholic, his loyalty is to the Pope and the "sacred traditions" of the "holy" Roman Catholic Church, not the Bible.

Unfortunately, few people calling themselves Christians are loyal to God's word, which is why our country is in such a mess.