Roy Moore, OJ Simpson, And why I don't believe you.

rexlunae

You want us to believe in Journalistic ethics which are never practiced by the companies and their agents before the camera.

I want you to recognize that the Washington Post showed its integrity in the Project Veritas case, while James O'Keefe showed his duplicity. The Washington Post is a journalistic institution that has protected our democracy on more than one occasion, and that still functions in the era of Trump, when Republicans embrace Russian-style oligarchy and its architects. Lots of institutions haven't survived. The Wall Street Journal has lost a lot of it's editors. Fox News has practically become state TV for Trump. But a few are still doing real journalism. And they deserve credit.

SabathMoon

BANNED
Banned
I want you to recognize that the Washington Post showed its integrity in the Project Veritas case, while James O'Keefe showed his duplicity. The Washington Post is a journalistic institution that has protected our democracy on more than one occasion, and that still functions in the era of Trump, when Republicans embrace Russian-style oligarchy and its architects. Lots of institutions haven't survived. The Wall Street Journal has lost a lot of it's editors. Fox News has practically become state TV for Trump. But a few are still doing real journalism. And they deserve credit.
The security company G4S which guards them never vouches for their honesty or integrity. I think the Washington Post lied because they wanted to attack Bannon.

This isn't a a bad thing in itself, but the Washington Post knew about O'keefe and don't bother to accurately inform 4GS about him lying for Project Veritas. So with Project Veritas, we now have a mix of lies and truths. And as journalists, they didn't believe Moore's denials.

It is interesting that O'Keefe now say those accounts are not lies, and is now talking to Think Progress. More important, is that Moore didn't care if he won as much as he says. It looks like he was throwing the election.

Why are you not suprised that most of them said Moore was a perfect gentleman?

And who might be watching Steve Bannon (Bannana?) of whom O'keefe is a protege during the meantime?

rexlunae

The security company G4S which guards them never vouches for their honesty or integrity.

So what? What do you expect them to say?

I think the Washington Post lied because they wanted to attack Bannon.

And I think that you are libeling them because that's all you can do. It's all you've got.

This isn't a a bad thing in itself, but the Washington Post knew about O'keefe and don't bother to accurately inform 4GS about him lying for Project Veritas. So with Project Veritas, we now have a mix of lies and truths.

Right. From Project Veritas, you have lies, and from the Washington Post, the pursuit of the truth. I wouldn't say they're very mixed, though.

And as journalists, they didn't believe Moore's denials.

Well, he didn't exactly deny it. And they had a bunch of witnesses against him. Why should they believe him.

It is interesting that O'Keefe now say those accounts are not lies, and is now talking to Think Progress.

He's talking to Mediaite, not Think Progress.

More important, is that Moore didn't care if he won as much as he says. It looks like he was throwing the election.

Um, how do you figure?

Why are you not suprised that most of them said Moore was a perfect gentleman?

Because it's a squishy subjective way of casting the situation that doesn't directly answer the charges. It avoids directly lying, but doesn't really clear anything up. In fact, it kinda leaves you concluding that it was most likely true.

And who might be watching Steve Bannon (Bannana?) of whom O'keefe is a protege during the meantime?

Mostly, real journalism outfits like the Washington Post.

It's delightful to watch O'Keefe squirm on the video trying to explain away his actions. He's mad that when he got caught, the Washington Post wouldn't publish his explanation for his actions. Because he's always offered his subjects the chance to explain themselves. Right?

SabathMoon

BANNED
Banned
And I think that you are libeling them because that's all you can do. It's all you've got.
I noticed much of his accusers were not out to get him. Only two were. Yet O'Keefe wants to be a jerk about it.

rexlunae said:
Right. From Project Veritas, you have lies, and from the Washington Post, the pursuit of the truth. I wouldn't say they're very mixed, though.
They knew how to make well constructed lies.

rexlunae said:
Well, he didn't exactly deny it. And they had a bunch of witnesses against him. Why should they believe him.
He denied the rape allegations easily.

rexlunae said:
Um, how do you figure?
His statement of when america was great, and his wife's "pro-jewish" statement. He isn't as religious as he appears to be either, but he decided to show us, Southeastern values with that lame last minute speech. He likes to be in people's faces too much.

rexlunae said:
Because it's a squishy subjective way of casting the situation that doesn't directly answer the charges. It avoids directly lying, but doesn't really clear anything up. In fact, it kinda leaves you concluding that it was most likely true.
I think you know he was never a rapist.

rexlunae said:
Mostly, real journalism outfits like the Washington Post.
G4S has known about his neoconservative and alt right ideology for a long time.

rexlunae said:
It's delightful to watch O'Keefe squirm on the video trying to explain away his actions. He's mad that when he got caught, the Washington Post wouldn't publish his explanation for his actions. Because he's always offered his subjects the chance to explain themselves. Right?
But his "subjects" did double down on what they said. But you are correct to think the why of it is more complex than it looks. Acorn was always guilty, so they are easy target, for example.

fool

Hall of Fame
So, the vote was certified today, Moore tried to get an Injunction or a stay or something citing voter fraud but it was shot down. Meaning a Judge wouldn't find it had merit. So a guy who was the Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court twice couldn't craft a good enough argument OR find a sympathetic ear in Alabama.
Where's the re-count? How does that work in Alabama? In Michigan you simply have to pay for it and it was only $900,000 for the petitioner and the state had to pay the rest.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
So, the vote was certified today, Moore tried to get an Injunction or a stay or something citing voter fraud but it was shot down. Meaning a Judge wouldn't find it had merit. So a guy who was the Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court twice couldn't craft a good enough argument OR find a sympathetic ear in Alabama.
Where's the re-count? How does that work in Alabama? In Michigan you simply have to pay for it and it was only $900,000 for the petitioner and the state had to pay the rest.

:mock: Moore

SabathMoon

BANNED
Banned

I don't know if you are talking about me. I think Moore is either lying that he wants a recount or either sincerely that stupid.

rexlunae

In Alabama, it has to be close. Not a few percentage points, but actually close. And there's no option to pay for it yourself.

I almost wish there were. Let him throw his money in a pit. But this has gone on long enough.

Arthur Brain

In Alabama, it has to be close. Not a few percentage points, but actually close. And there's no option to pay for it yourself.

I almost wish there were. Let him throw his money in a pit. But this has gone on long enough.

Also, if he's arguing that the sexual allegations made against him played their part in his defeat then why didn't he take a polygraph test before election night?

SabathMoon

BANNED
Banned
fool said:

rexlunae said:

It was 1.5%. And that wasn't close enough, but it is interesting enough for me. Steve Bannana will be amusing me for a long time.

rexlunae

This article seems to say he could get a recount and it would cost him a million;
https://patch.com/alabama/birmingham-al/roy-moore-refuses-concede-solicits-donations-recount

That article fails to mention that only certain offices in Alabama qualify for candidate-funded recount, and Senator isn't one of them.

https://ballotpedia.org/Recount_laws_in_Alabama

Senator-elect Jones won by three times the margin needed to avoid a recount. Since none of Moore's allegations of fraud have held up, he is truly grasping at straws.

WizardofOz

So we can stick a fork in Moore on this thing at least?

As a more general question, what do you personally look for in a candidate? Is this thread about your support for Roy Moore or just your lack of belief in the allegations and the process that got us to where we are today?

I certainly respect your opinion so I am curious what qualities make you throw your support to a certain candidate?

I never was a Doug Jones supporter but I also believe at least some of the allegations against Moore were true. It was a lose/lose situation in my opinion. Both candidates were deeply flawed.

Even with Trump, who I don't respect on a personal level as our president, he could win me over with making changes that take us in the right direction as a country. The tax cuts are a good place to start although I really wanted to see a decrease in overall spending.

I might not invite him in my home but he's doing some good things, policy-wise.

Obama is more like-able but he was completely ineffectual and weak as a commander-in-chief. He didn't really do much of anything in his 8 years in the White House and I'd even argue that some of what he did was counter-productive and backwards.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Moore didn't survive the smell test. So that's done...reminds me of that Sheriff you liked that struck me as someone who wanted to play cowboy.

Did you read about his conduct in relation to a passenger on an airline flight? Apparently the other guy wasn't respectful enough to suit the sheriff. The Milwaukee County controllers found he "used his official position as sheriff of Milwaukee County in excess of his lawful authority" to give the guy a hard time.

What was the passenger's offense? He wouldn't tell the sheriff what he thought of him for fear of getting into trouble. Clarke texted to get the passenger detained and interviewed for his attitude. Clarke's text read, “Just a field interview, no arrest unless he becomes an [redacted] with your guys. Question for him is why he said anything to me. Why didn’t he just keep his mouth shut?”

The passenger was met by 6 deputies and two dogs. A subsequent review of emails led to the conclusion the sheriff had either directly himself or encouraged others within his office to advance harassing communications aimed at the passenger on FB, though no charges were filed criminally in relation to civil rights violations given the limited statutory advance available and the belief that it would be difficult to meet the standard for conviction. A civil suit remains pending.

Link to article including the DOJ letter to Clarke.

fool

Hall of Fame
As a more general question, what do you personally look for in a candidate?
Much like buying a used car or looking for a house you have to choose from what's on the market at the time.
And I'm a Republican.

Is this thread about your support for Roy Moore or just your lack of belief in the allegations and the process that got us to where we are today?
This thread is about the process of smearing any candidate right before an election with ancient, unverifiable allegations and when that happens why I won't believe you. Even though you could be telling the truth.
Roy More is an anti gay Bible thumper, he would not be my preference and he wasn't Trumps. But the Republicans of Alabama chose him as their candidate.

I certainly respect your opinion so I am curious what qualities make you throw your support to a certain candidate?
Big hands and a awesome comb-over.

I never was a Doug Jones supporter but I also believe at least some of the allegations against Moore were true. It was a lose/lose situation in my opinion. Both candidates were deeply flawed.
It's always a lose/lose situation. Unless you run yourself you'll have to pick someone.

Even with Trump, who I don't respect on a personal level as our president, he could win me over with making changes that take us in the right direction as a country. The tax cuts are a good place to start although I really wanted to see a decrease in overall spending.
A smaller slice of a bigger pie is still more pie. Trump thinks he can grow the economy and that would mean more revenue even if the Gov gets a smaller percentage.
On spending he has disappointed me. He once played the golf pro at one of his resorts and beat him. Fired him on the spot. That's what I wanted. I wanted him to walk around and cut waste like a businessman. Make people do their jobs. Get me my money's worth. He's done some of that but not enough tangible.

Case in point. The Texas church shooter had felonies in the service that weren't reported to the database. We find out almost NONE of the crimes committed while in the Air Force got put into the database. Heads should have rolled for that but I don't see any heads rolling.

I might not invite him in my home but he's doing some good things, policy-wise.
He shall be the greatest President we've had for the next Hundred Years.
It's tough love. He didn't need to do this but he did for his children and grandchildren.
He's the Wealthiest person to ever hold the office. He's the Oldest person to ever hold the office.
Obama is more like-able but he was completely ineffectual and weak as a commander-in-chief. He didn't really do much of anything in his 8 years in the White House and I'd even argue that some of what he did was counter-productive and backwards.
He was 47 years old when he took the office.
A 47 year old junior Senator from Illinois with a whole two years in Washington under his belt.
He'd never run anything bigger that his campaign.