Rosh Hashanah? Feast of Trumpets!!

rainee

Well I don't know, I could ask why does it appear the popular info about Rosh Hashanah does not say anything about it? Is it out of favor?

genuineoriginal

Jerusalem Shofar at Sunrise - amazing video from Ari Werth

The Feast of Trumpets is not celebrated with a trumpet made of metal, but with a trumpet made from the horn of a ram, called a shofar.

The horn of a ram is used in recognition of the ram that was caught by its horns in the thicket near Abraham at the trial of his faith, when he proved his obedience to God when God asked him to sacrifice his son Isaac.

The trumpet blown at Mount Sinai when God came down to meet with the children of Israel was also a shofar.

The sounding of the shofar marks the beginning of the seventh month of the Biblical year.

The name of the feast is Yom Teruah, which means day of blowing (the shofar).

This day is also the first day of the year in the Jewish secular calendar, after they had changed the times of the calendar God gave them to match the times of the calendars used in Babylon.

Rosh HaShana means head of the year, and is the name for the first day of the Jewish secular calendar.

genuineoriginal

I did :)

But do not find it mentioned on many Judaic sites...?

You could do a search for Yom Teruah or you could look at this site:

In Leviticus 23:24, Yom Teruah is also referred to as Zichron Teruah. The word Zichron is sometimes translated as “memorial”, but this Hebrew word also means to “mention”, often in reference to speaking the name of Yehovah. For example, Exodus 3:15; Isaiah 12:4; Isaiah 26:13; Psalms 45:18. The day of Zichron Teruah, the “Mentioning Shout”, may refer to a day of gathering in public prayer in which the crowd of the faithful shouts the name of Yehovah in unison.
___________________​

genuineoriginal

Ok this is the best site I have found for it - and it was the first one I found!

http://promisestoisrael.org/jewish-culture-2/jewish-holidays/rosh-hashanah-the-feast-of-trumpets/

I do see unfortunately that there are some not so good sites out there.

Thank you GO!

I see your post now!

I hope you see mine and checkout that site. :)
Thank you for the link.

I have checked it out, and it was written by Arnold Fruchtenbaum, a Messianic Jew. Messianic Jews believe that Jesus (Yeshuah) is the Messiah.

The site I posted is from a Karaite Jew. Karaite Jews do not believe Jesus is the Messiah, but are Jews that have discarded the teachings of the Rabbis where those teachings conflict with the words of the Torah.

rainee

Thank you for that info!

AND for the link - I really benefited from reading it.

In fact combine both sites - that one and the Messianic one, and I get a better understanding of something interesting. Your site said the people were never told why or what this special time was for that was given in Leviticus 23:23-25 or Numbers 29:1-6, While the Messianic site shows the many names this time has accrued.

However, why is the silver trumpet not as well known as the Shofar?

Numbers 10:1-10
Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

10 Adonai said to Moshe, 2 “Make two trumpets; make them of hammered silver. Use them for summoning the community and for sounding the call to break camp and move on. 3 When they are sounded, the entire community is to assemble before you at the entrance to the tent of meeting. 4 If only one is sounded, then just the leaders, the heads of the clans of Isra’el, are to assemble before you.

5 “When you sound an alarm, the camps to the east will commence traveling. 6 When you sound a second alarm, the camps to the south will set out; they will sound alarms to announce when to travel. 7 However, when the community is to be assembled, you are to sound; but don’t sound an alarm. 8 It will be the sons of Aharon, the cohanim, who are to sound the trumpets; this will be a permanent regulation for you through all your generations.

9 “When you go to war in your land against an adversary who is oppressing you, you are to sound an alarm with the trumpets; then you will be remembered before Adonai your God, and you will be saved from your enemies.

10 “Also on your days of rejoicing, at your designated times and on Rosh-Hodesh, you are to sound the trumpets over your burnt offerings and over the sacrifices of your peace offerings; these will be your reminder before your God. I am Adonai your God.”

genuineoriginal

Thank you for that info!

AND for the link - I really benefited from reading it.

In fact combine both sites - that one and the Messianic one, and I get a better understanding of something interesting. Your site said the people were never told why or what this special time was for that was given in Leviticus 23:23-25 or Numbers 29:1-6, While the Messianic site shows the many names this time has accrued.

However, why is the silver trumpet not as well known as the Shofar?
The Shofar is mentioned 72 times in 21 books of the old testament.
Some of the significant events associated with the shofar are:
  • God coming down to Mount Sinai
  • The Fall of Jericho
  • Gideon's victory over several hundred thousand Midianites with only 300 men
  • David's battles against the Philistines
  • Nehemiah rebuilding the walls of Jerusalem

Metal trumpets are mentioned 29 times in 8 books of the old testament.
It is mainly mentioned when the people wanted to make a lot of noise.

fzappa13

Like all holy days the Feast of Trumpets is prophetic.

Mat 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

genuineoriginal

Jewish feasts were never meant for Gentiles.

First, they are the feasts of YHVH (the LORD), not Jewish feasts.

Leviticus 23:2
2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, Concerning the feasts of the Lord, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are my feasts.​

Second, the feasts are a shadow of things to come, so there is every reason to study them, even if you do not celebrate them.

Colossians 2:16-17
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.​

musterion

First, they are the feasts of YHVH (the LORD), not Jewish feasts.

Leviticus 23:2
2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, Concerning the feasts of the Lord, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are my feasts.​

Second, the feasts are a shadow of things to come, so there is every reason to study them, even if you do not celebrate them.

Colossians 2:16-17
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.​

Study them? Agree 100%. Observing them today (or trying to) is to spit in the eye of God, and there's a few here on TOL who observe the feasts (or try to).

genuineoriginal

Study them? Agree 100%.
Good.

Observing them today (or trying to) is to spit in the eye of God, and there's a few here on TOL who observe the feasts (or try to).

You must have misread the verse:

Colossians 2:16
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:​

That means you are not allowed to judge another believer on whether they observe the feasts of whether they abstain from observing the feasts, including making foolish statements like 'observing the Feasts of the LORD is spitting in His eye.'

musterion

Good.

You must have misread the verse:

Colossians 2:16
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:​

That means you are not allowed to judge another believer on whether they observe the feasts of whether they abstain from observing the feasts, including making foolish statements like 'observing the Feasts of the LORD is spitting in His eye.'

What is the context of what you highlighted in yellow? What led Paul to even say it?

Vese 8 prior is your clue.

Also consider the very next verse:

Which [feasts, etc] are a shadow of things to come; but the reality is of Christ.
Why would anyone revert to observance of the obsolete shadows of Christ when we've been given Christ Himself? What, exactly, would be the point? Moreover, how would it please God? What would it be telling God, even unintentionally?

fzappa13

In ignoring God's holy days we rob them of their intended ability to teach us. In creating and observing our own we spit in the eye of God.

genuineoriginal

Why would anyone revert to observance of the obsolete shadows of Christ when we've been given Christ Himself?
Paul did not say that the feasts were shadows of Christ.
He did not say that the feasts were shadows of things that have already come (Christ).
He said that the feasts are shadows of things that are to come, at some unspecified point in the future.

If you haven't studied the feasts, then you wouldn't know what those things are that are fore-shadowed by the feasts.

What, exactly, would be the point?
Why did God give His feasts to man?
Because it pleased Him.

Moreover, how would it please God?
God said that the heathen (gentiles) would be forced to keep His feasts.
This will happen during the Millennial Kingdom.
The passage shows that God will be displeased with any gentile that tries to avoid keeping His feasts.

Zechariah 14:16-19
16 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.
17 And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain.
18 And if the family of Egypt go not up, and come not, that have no rain; there shall be the plague, wherewith the Lord will smite the heathen that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.
19 This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all nations that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.​

What would it be telling God, even unintentionally?
Keeping the feasts of the LORD would tell God that we trust Him, we understand what the kingdom will be like, and we want to be prepared for keeping the feasts in the kingdom by keeping them now.