Right-to-carry gun laws linked to increase in violent crime?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Uberpod says that Right-to-carry gun laws linked to increase in violent crime.

Last edited:

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
The strongest evidence was for aggravated assault, with data suggesting that right-to-carry (RTC) laws increase this crime by an estimated 8 percent – and this may actually be understated, according to the researchers.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
My Grandpa always said that figures don't lie. but liars figure,
A wise man, your Grandpa. It is amazing how quickly these confirming studies, surveys, polls magically appear within days of some :Commie: political pronouncement.

Truster

The world and his uncle will always trust in a violent response to a violent a violent threat. The converted man who has Yah Veh as his shield and his buckler has a different mindset, because he has read, understood and trusts in the word that shall not return void.

Yah Veh is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my Elohim, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.

In these truths we either stand or rely on ourselves.

PS I would not advise anyone who has not been truly converted to rely on these truths. They are the inheritance of the heirs of salvation and for them alone.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I bet you could find a far stronger correlation between gun-control laws and increased violence.

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
My Grandpa always said that figures don't lie. but liars figure,

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ate-drops-as-concealed-carry-gun-pe/?page=all

Hi Delmar,

Thanks for starting this thread for me. Your response to what I presented is very weak. You criticize the use of statistics in general, essentially by saying that because numbers can be manipulated, that must be the case here. You make no effort to address the limitations of the actual study. You then go on to present an article that uses one city over one year to try to suggest a conclusion. The study I offered uses national county-level data from 1979-2010. Your tactic actually does what your grandpa advises against. You might want to better honor him. Just saying....

Take good care!

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Uberpod says that Right-to-carry gun laws linked to increase in violent crime.
In my area, most were already carrying guns before any "right to carry" came about.

So it didn't really change anything.

musterion

Did Stanford study how many crimes were stopped by RTC that otherwise wouldn't have been?

No?

I wonder why.

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
My speculation is that carrying guns enables more frequent criminal acting out on violent impulse, and this occurrence overpowers any benefit of self-defense or deterrence that open carry might provide.

musterion

My speculation is that carrying guns enables more frequent criminal acting out on violent impulse, and this occurrence overpowers any benefit of self-defense or deterrence that open carry might provide.

Your speculation is noted, and stupid. Those inclined to do violence on impulse will find some means to do so regardless of gun laws. Ice pick, steak knife, baseball bat, crowbar, samurai sword, gun, family size can of soup to the skull, even old fashioned fists and feet (the #1 statistical killer, I'm led to understand). Those inclined to violence and murder have a wide variety of choices to which gun availability is largely irrelevant.

And again...wider availability of RTC among law abiding citizens stops crimes that otherwise would not have been stopped. That's simple common sense, which seems to evade you. Not because it's false, but because your childlike magical thinking simply doesn't WANT it to be true.

PureX

It's amazing how quickly some people will dismiss the evidence when the evidence doesn't support their preconceived bias. To me, that's an indication of an internal habit of dishonesty and self-delusion. I'm not saying that we all have to research all evidence regarding every opinion we hold, as that would be impossible. But when confronted with reasonable evidence contradicting our opinions, we should at least be open to the possibility that our opinion is wrong. And if we don't like that possibility, then we should feel obliged to investigate the controversy further, and not just dismiss the contrary evidence out of hand, or dismiss and/or insult the person who happened to bring it to our attention.

I'm just saying ...

PureX

It is not at all unreasonable to contend that an increase in the number of guns and gun users within a population of humans will lead to an increase in the number of violent gun-related deaths that occur within that population of humans.

In fact, if we increase the number of guns available to a population of chimpanzees, it would be reasonable to contend that this will increase the number of violent, gun-related chimpanzee deaths.

One would have to be almost insanely ignorant not to see the obvious correlation between the number of guns available within a population of life forms with opposable thumbs, and the number of violent gun deaths that will occur within that population.

And yet here we are, surrounded by folks who just cannot and will not see the possibility of there being such a correlation.

Amazing!

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The majority of folks that have guns don't use them for criminal activity.
But will readily use them to stop criminal activity.