Redskins

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It seems to me that the term in question was not originally a pejorative but merely descriptive. Similarly, black and white (based on skin color after all). Then, terrorists some 150 years past confiscated said term to spread their hate. Are we letting those terrorists of long ago win?
In the sense that when someone poisons a well and we stop bottling it as "Spring Water" they win.

Lon

Your patronizing attitude grows weary on me.
Again, you've mistaken me for someone who cares. Your punchy attitude is/was the problem. I don't like it, hence don't care to address whatever real concerns you may or may not have. We'll see, however, how weary you happen to be...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Allowing the well to remain poisoned seems to be their victory, apart from those immune.
Where I'd say the victory for them would be seeing well intentioned people continuing to use it instead of relegating it and the power they invested in it to the dust bin of history. It seems we are at an impasse. But thanks for the conversation. :cheers:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I figure if Yankees can be used as a name, then Redskins can be used as a name. They are identical in offensiveness.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I figure if Yankees can be used as a name, then Redskins can be used as a name. They are identical in offensiveness.
A history of near genocidal treatment at the hands of an invading horde, have they? Generations of marginalization and disenfranchisement, reduction to a bogey man caricature to entertain folks and frighten children? I must have missed that. What Yankees are shamed by the word and why haven't we heard about it?

rainee

At the very least, it's a crude, distasteful nickname. It should've been changed by now and it seems inevitable that eventually it will be.

Please excuse me for I have not read any other posts after reading this one.

It is such a marvelous example of what could be termed the modern version of Politically Correct driven self righteousness.

It goes like this:

Do children play "Cowboy and Indians"?

Yes. (Think about that for a moment, you moralists, please.)

But when children grow up when do they all want to be the Indians and root for them to win with passion?

When they are sports teams.

Shouldn't we stop that?

Shouldn't we just keep "Cowboys" to root for?

Are you losing your minds?
:dizzy:

Rename the Red Skins to Red Foxes.
It is the American Indians' past history as fierce and mighty warriors we need to destroy - huh?

rainee

BTW I know of a place where there are two high schools, one has the "Vikings" as a team. The other has? Indians. A big Green one to boot...

Big Green Indian
Verse 1

Tall as a mountain,with his head up in the sky.

Broad as a bayou, with the sun for his left eye;

See him comin', spreading terror through the land,

Breathin' fire, with a football in his hand!

(Scream)

Chorus

Holey moley! it's a Big Green Indian!

Tell me, brother, have you seen him run?

Holey moley! it's a Big Green Indian.

[You can't stop him with a rope, knife, or gun.

No, you can't stop him with a rope, knife, or gun.] Repeat

VERSE 2

Friends forever to the ones who call his name,

Strong and loyal, may we always be the same.

Ever present, as the sea is to the sand,

May his shadow always fall across our land.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What Yankees are shamed by the word and why haven't we heard about it?
That's the point. Yankee was supposed to be a pejorative. But when it came time to name the baseball team currently in NY, it wasn't. Identical to the Redskins. The reason the team got to be named that was not because it was a pejorative, but because it wasn't.

That's the point. Yankee was supposed to be a pejorative. But when it came time to name the baseball team currently in NY, it wasn't. Identical to the Redskins. The reason the team got to be named that was not because it was a pejorative, but because it wasn't.

Even if the term "yankee" is pejorative, it doesn't represent systematic discrimination, oppression and/or genocide. A "redskin" was the scalp of an Indian, that was often turned in to collect a bounty for it.

Of course, when referring to a certain baseball team from New York, "Yankee" might as well be a swear word. (Mets fan here :/)

Last edited:

Daedalean's_Sun

Please excuse me for I have not read any other posts after reading this one.

It is such a marvelous example of what could be termed the modern version of Politically Correct driven self righteousness.

It goes like this:

Do children play "Cowboy and Indians"?

Yes. (Think about that for a moment, you moralists, please.)

But when children grow up when do they all want to be the Indians and root for them to win with passion?

When they are sports teams.

Shouldn't we stop that?

Shouldn't we just keep "Cowboys" to root for?

Are you losing your minds?
:dizzy:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3935419&postcount=140

Names such as Chiefs, Braves, Seminoles, Chippewas, and Chieftains, haven't been scrutinized in the same degree as 'redskins'. This is understandable given the prevalence of ethnic groups being used as sports mascots. Vikings, Irish, Scots, Celts, Knicks, etc.. I personally have no problem using ethnic groups as sports mascots, so long as they are done respectfully.

I can see how redskin, might be offensive. Imagine instead of the Minnesota Vikings, they were the Minnesota 'Whiteskins', or perhaps the Soledad Aztecs changed to the Soledad 'Brownskins'. I venture it is seen as more offensive because it reduces the most distinguishing characteristic of an ethnic group to the color of their skin.

The change in mascot names is not without precedent, though:

• The Dickinson State Savages were renamed the "Blue Hawks" in 1972.
  • Southeastern Oklahoma State Savages, were renamed "Savage Storm" in 2006
  • Savannah High School in Missouri, currently uses 'Savages' as their school mascot.
  • Tecumseh High School in Oklahoma also currently uses 'savages' as their school mascot.
  • And this isn't relegated to Native Americans. Pekin High Chinks of Illinois, were renamed the "Dragons" in 1980.

Daedalean's_Sun

my school's team name was "indians"

just that

and they voted to change it to something else

I'm actually fine with 'Indians' as far as mascots go although that's sort of like having a team name 'Europeans', it's too broad. And there is already a tendency to lump all native Americans together. However I don't think it's offensive, just imprecise.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Even if the term "yankee" is pejorative, it doesn't represent systematic discrimination, oppression and/or genocide. A "redskin" was the scalp of an Indian, that was often turned in to collect a bounty for it.

Of course, when referring to a certain baseball team from New York, "Yankee" might as well be a swear word. (Mets fan here :/)

Red Sox fan here. Don't get me started.:chuckle:

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I'm actually fine with 'Indians' as far as mascots go although that's sort of like having a team name 'Europeans', it's too broad. And there is already a tendency to lump all native Americans together. However I don't think it's offensive, just imprecise.

the town bears an iroquois name, as do the schools

now the teams are named for a bird :doh: