Real Science Friday: Stretching Out the Heavens

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
I found the original paper.

Right, because nothing you read that you agree with could ever be wrong.

If one cites a paper, one is obligated to accurately report what it says. There is nothing in the paper about 200 million years with no change.

Nice straw man.

Well, let's take a look at that...

From Jefferson's summary of the paper:
Eels Haven't Changed in an Allegedly 200 Million Years

Surprise.

Jukia

Right, because nothing you read that you agree with could ever be wrong. :chuckle:Nice straw man. :thumb:

You suggested reading the "magazine" they cited, Barb did you one better, read the original paper. If it is as he says then Pastor Bob and his buddy Fred lied about the facts.

Jukia

No need. I found the original paper. Nothing about 200 million years with no change. Indeed, this species is unknown in the fossil record. The warning remains obvious; read the original paper, if you want to get it right.

Can you give us a cite to the original paper, thanks.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Barbarian observes:I found the original paper.If one cites a paper, one is obligated to accurately report what it says. There is nothing in the paper about 200 million years with no change.Well, let's take a look at that...From Jefferson's summary of the paper:Surprise.
No surprise that you're unable to respond with any integrity. There is no reason to take as true what you have read over what someone else has read.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You suggested reading the "magazine" they cited, Barb did you one better, read the original paper. If it is as he says then Pastor Bob and his buddy Fred lied about the facts.
Straw men and appeals to authority are the atheist's staple.

And let's throw in an appeal to ignorance. If the paper says nothing of change, how is that evidence of great change?

Jukia

Straw men and appeals to authority are the atheist's staple.

And let's throw in an appeal to ignorance. If the paper says nothing of change, how is that evidence of great change?

Ah, and I suppose you do not appeal to the authority of the now written oral tradition of goat herders.

No one is suggesting the paper states great change, just that Pastor Bob and his sidekick Fred use it to suggest stasis but perhaps the paper does not say that. So either Barb is wrong or Pastor Bob. Lets get the cite to the paper and then we can determine.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ah, and I suppose you do not appeal to the authority of the now written oral tradition of goat herders.
We can now add tu quoque to the list. :chuckle:

The classic wail of the cornered atheist, "But you might do it too!" :allsmile:

And, like I observed in the other thread, whenever the discussion is about evidence, you want to talk theology.
No one is suggesting the paper states great change, just that Pastor Bob and his sidekick Fred use it to suggest stasis but perhaps the paper does not say that. So either Barb is wrong or Pastor Bob. Lets get the cite to the paper and then we can determine.

Or else the magazine they actually read presents a more accurate account of the facts. We know that Barbarian is no fan of accurately portraying a given situation. So, unless you retract this silly challenge, we can add false dichotomy to your rap sheet. :)

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Can you give us a cite to the original paper, thanks.

Here:
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/early/2011/08/16/rspb.2011.1289.full.pdf

BTW, I don't think it's so much a matter of lying as reading a magazine source that perhaps wasn't clear, and jumping to a conclusion. The key is that this species is unknown in the fossil record. Indeed, it has a suite of characters not seen in the fossil record, but cladistic analysis indicates that it is a member of the basal group from which all eels evolved.

It is primitive and a representative of a group assumed to have been long extinct. But it's not in the fossil record. A similar situation is the modern coelacanth, which likewise is primitive in many ways, but is unknown in the fossil record, and very different from fossil coelacanths.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Here:
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/early/2011/08/16/rspb.2011.1289.full.pdf

BTW, I don't think it's so much a matter of lying as reading a magazine source that perhaps wasn't clear, and jumping to a conclusion. The key is that this species is unknown in the fossil record. Indeed, it has a suite of characters not seen in the fossil record, but cladistic analysis indicates that it is a member of the basal group from which all eels evolved.

It is primitive and a representative of a group assumed to have been long extinct. But it's not in the fossil record. A similar situation is the modern coelacanth, which likewise is primitive in many ways, but is unknown in the fossil record, and very different from fossil coelacanths.
Great! So now if only Barbarian could read the article in question or call up the show we might have a rational discussion. :thumb:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
(The original paper shows that the claim of "200 million years of stasis" is incorrect)

Yep. Glad to be of help.

So now if only Barbarian could read the article in question

I just showed it to you. What anyone else said about it is immaterial, unless they have new evidence to bring forward. Do you have any?

or call up the show we might have a rational discussion.

The rest of us just did. Claim presented. Facts checked. Claim is false.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ah, the old I-read-something-so-that-settles-it argument.

Click on the formula. :up:

some other dude

From barbie's link:

...Phylogenetic analysis and divergence time estimation based on whole mitogenome sequences from various actinopterygians, including representatives of all eel families, demonstrate that this fish represents one of the most basal, independent lineages of the true eels, with a long evolutionary history comparable to that of the entire Anguilliformes (approx. 200 Myr). Such a long, independent evolutionary history dating back to the early Mesozoic and a retention of primitive morphological features (e.g. the presence of a premaxilla, metapterygoid, free symplectic, gill rakers, pseudobranch and distinct caudal fin rays) warrant recognition of this species as a ‘living fossil’ of the true eels, herein described...

Thus,we consider that Protoanguilla represents an ancient anguilliform lineage that dates back to the early Mesozoic (around 200Ma)...

In any case, historically, the Protoanguilla lineage, estimated to have diverged ca 200Ma, must have been much more widely distributed...

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Yeah, I figure either Jefferson or someone who wrote an article about that, read those words and somehow cobbled them together to suppose that it meant the eel hadn't changed at in 200 million years.

The eel is only known from modern specimens, and isn't even in the fossil record. We only suppose it is a representative of the basal group because of the primitive traits it retains. In the same way the modern horseshoe crab is a representative of the basal group of chelicerates, even though there are no representatives of the modern species in the fossil record. They are much changed from ancient chelicerates.

There is no evidence whatever for the eel being unchanged for 200 million years. You do understand that, don't you?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Ah, the old I-read-something-so-that-settles-it argument.

Pretty straightforward. The people who wrote the paper said one thing. Other people claim they said something else. We found the paper, and it doesn't say what others claim it says.

And that settles it. If you want to claim some other evidence supports your idea, that's worth discussing. Show us what you have.

Jukia

Interesting how Pastor Bob's claim is that stasis for 200 million years supports a 6000 year old earth. Having trouble wrapping my mind around that. I am certain Stripe can explain it though. The old argument from Biblical authority.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Again, my point is not that anyone lied, but that one should be very careful about making claims for something, when one has not read the actual paper.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Again, my point is not that anyone lied, but that one should be very careful about making claims for something, when one has not read the actual paper.

Sounds fair. :up:

So when are you going to read the article, listen to the show or call up so that your commentary is justified? :think:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
So when are you going to read the article,

I read the article. It appears Jefferson did not. I wish he would. I left a link for anyone who wants to see what it really says.

listen to the show

Do you think the part he posted is misleading as to his claim? If not, why would I want to read the rest? After all, I'm only commenting on that particular error.

or call up so that your commentary is justified?

Anyone who doubts it can go to the link and see what the article actually says.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I read the article. It appears Jefferson did not. I wish he would. I left a link for anyone who wants to see what it really says.
Liar.

Do you think the part he posted is misleading as to his claim? If not, why would I want to read the rest? After all, I'm only commenting on that particular error.
Depends on the source. :idunno:

Anyone who doubts it can go to the link and see what the article actually says.
Your link is not the source of the comment. You need to quit with the demand that every game be played upon your court.