Real Science Friday: A Leading Telescope Designer in Studio

Arthur Brain

Dream on artie. While I refuse to engage you seriously, I have no qualms about ridiculing you. :wave2:

Or rather attempting to. You had the opportunity to explain how Tom is in the right for his attitude to the homeless and needy and you hide behind lame insults as usual when called for your own opinion.

Why not say your position for everyone else to read? I'm sure there's other readers who would be interested in what you had to say on the matter?

some other dude

Or rather attempting to. You had the opportunity to explain how Tom is in the right for his attitude to the homeless and needy and you hide behind lame insults as usual when called for your own opinion.

Why not say your position for everyone else to read? I'm sure there's other readers who would be interested in what you had to say on the matter?

If any are interested, I would consider engaging them.

I won't waste time with a tard like you.

Arthur Brain

If any are interested, I would consider engaging them.

I won't waste time with a tard like you.

Hey, just say where you stand anyway dude for those reading in. You're already wasting time with 'a tard like me' by responding at all, so have some guts and share why homeless and needy people should be left to go hungry as Tom advocates.

:thumb:

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Artie. If a homeless man was offered a job and refused it, would you still help him out? I mean the man was offered a room and clothes and food in exchange for work and he still refused.

Arthur Brain

Artie. If a homeless man was offered a job and refused it, would you still help him out? I mean the man was offered a room and clothes and food in exchange for work and he still refused.

I'd question him for sure if there was no obvious reason why he refused such in that hypothetical. The trouble is there's no realistic plate to judge why many are in positions where they're in such shoddy circumstances, so if I see someone in need and I can help then what's my perogative? To give aid or to judge?

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
I'd question him for sure if there was no obvious reason why he refused such in that hypothetical. The trouble is there's no realistic plate to judge why many are in positions where they're in such shoddy circumstances, so if I see someone in need and I can help then what's my perogative? To give aid or to judge?

You can give aid as you wish. The question is : are you really helping them? Do you think some homeless are comfortable in their position and you think it's none of your business to help them on their feet? Is your position: " If someone is hungry, feed them regardless , no questions asked?" Why is it judgmental to even try to figure out why the person is in the shape they are in, before you are willing to help them out?

Arthur Brain

You can give aid as you wish. The question is : are you really helping them? Do you think some homeless are comfortable in their position and you think it's none of your business to help them on their feet? Is your position: " If someone is hungry, feed them regardless , no questions asked?" Why is it judgmental to even try to figure out why the person is in the shape they are in, before you are willing to help them out?

I don't think there's many homeless who are 'happy' in their position. I befriended a couple and one came from a broken home and was let down by the 'system' in the former city I lived in. It's not 'judgmental' to try to figure out why people are in such a position though it is to presume why all on the streets are without shelter and then decry them as "smelly creatures". It's also not my place to interrogate those without homes as to why they don't deserve any human compassion also. Giving someone who's obviously hungry and cold etc a hot meal shouldn't warrant my being admonished should it? Let alone jailed?

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
artie said:
Giving someone who's obviously hungry and cold etc a hot meal shouldn't warrant my being admonished should it? Let alone jailed?

No. Compassion should never be punished although it's wisdom can be questioned in some cases. Feeding people with actual food instead of money I suppose is never wrong. Some people hate responsibility and love their booze and drugs so much that they would rather live on the streets than to give up either. Some people just hate having to be accountable to anyone and would prefer the freedom of homelessness to a clean and comfortable life with responsibilities and accountability. Do you care if these people ever get out of their situations or are you satisfied if they have food in their stomachs? Providing food is not the ultimate humanitarian deed. Is that your desire? To be a humanitarian? I take it you think humanitarism and christianity are synonyms.

Arthur Brain

No. Compassion should never be punished although it's wisdom can be questioned in some cases. Feeding people with actual food instead of money I suppose is never wrong. Some people hate responsibility and love their booze and drugs so much that they would rather live on the streets than to give up either. Some people just hate having to be accountable to anyone and would prefer the freedom of homelessness to a clean and comfortable life with responsibilities and accountability. Do you care if these people ever get out of their situations or are you satisfied if they have food in their stomachs? Providing food is not the ultimate humanitarian deed. Is that your desire? To be a humanitarian? I take it you think humanitarism and christianity are synonyms.

There's plenty who love booze and drugs who aren't on the streets though Voltaire. I can't imagine anyone choosing to sleep rough where you're exposed to the elements and all manner of abuse for begging. Especially in Winter. There's all manner of reason why people end up in such situations from broken homes to mental illness, do you disagree? Of course I'd sooner have these people get out of their situations as I wouldn't wish what I've seen on anyone. I don't equate humanitarianism with Christianity either although they certainly share certain characteristics where it comes to ones fellow man.

some other dude

Tom tries a different ploy.

Barbarian chuckles:
So, if you're logically consistent, you also reject the Trinity, since there's no verse supporting the Trinity.

(Tom can't find one)

Nope. Nothing at all about the Trinity. If you're honest with yourself, you'll admit that your purported standard rules out the Trinity.

Logically, you've painted yourself into the Arian corner.

I notice that barbie's twisted and misrepresented Tom's response in order to avoid answering his question a second time: "..can you give me a Bible verse for Purgatory..."

But that's to be expected, considering that barbie's religion has taught him that it's OK to be dishonest.

TeeJay

=The Barbarian;2781268]Tom tries a different ploy.

Barbarian chuckles:
So, if you're logically consistent, you also reject the Trinity, since there's no verse supporting the Trinity.

(Tom can't find one)

Nope. Nothing at all about the Trinity. If you're honest with yourself, you'll admit that your purported standard rules out the Trinity.

Logically, you've painted yourself into the Arian corner.

Barb,

I really don't understand what you're getting at? Give me a plain question, and I will give you a plain answer. How am I denying the Trinity?

Tom

TeeJay

=Arthur Brain;2781269]There's no need for you to put "smelly creatures" in inverted commas Tom. It was your description of the homeless and there was no irony about it, nor should my particular belief enter into how those who suffer misfortune on this plane should be treat either. If you want to tag me as a 'universalist' then hey, go for it though I don't ascribe to any labels. You should be taking any objections to the thread SOD so 'kindly' started which was kinda the point so as not to derail this convo any further.

Please stop putting "smelly creatures" in inverted commas Tom. You described them as such so either retract the description or just leave such without. We don't live under Jewish law Tom and those for the time could hardly apply to now due to the abundance of changes in suburban society alone. Do you think Paul expected his words to be taken literally in todays cities unlike the communities he was seemingly referring to?

And please spare me this 'big strong people' as if all on the streets are Arnold Schwarzanegger and they're all sleeping rough for a laugh. Do you think physical size is an indication of broken homes, abuse or mental illness? There's plenty homeless folk who are very young, skinny, scared and with problems as there are adults. Do you deny that?

If you want to talk self righteousness then take a look in the mirror. I don't know what it's like to sleep rough Tom but it doesn't take a genius to realize it's far from a picnic. Plenty of these people are in desperate need of aid and plenty die to exposure in the winter as well as other dangers. You seem to think that they can all just walk into a job even if they were capable of work. You need one giant wake up call....

Tell me again, did the rich man do the right thing by denying a dying man covered in sores the crumbs off his table? Would you have only given him food if he was willing to work? Would you have taken care of him until he was able?

Take objections and questions to the thread SOD started Tom, that's what it's there for after all. I could care less about your own hangups with politicians as it's completely besides any point.

:e4e:

AB

I tried everything. How does one keep those commas from getting "inverted" when I use "smelly creatures"?

Again. Is Jesus Christ God? a) Yes. b) No.

Tom

TeeJay

=Arthur Brain;2781419]I'd question him for sure if there was no obvious reason why he refused such in that hypothetical. The trouble is there's no realistic plate to judge why many are in positions where they're in such shoddy circumstances, so if I see someone in need and I can help then what's my perogative? To give aid or to judge?

AB,

Why are you hesitant to judge a wino on the street, but have no problem judging Christians?

Is Jesus Christ God?

Tom

Arthur Brain

AB

I tried everything. How does one keep those commas from getting "inverted" when I use "smelly creatures"?

Again. Is Jesus Christ God? a) Yes. b) No.

Tom

Tom, you shouldn't be trying to wrap anything around the phrase. It's not as though you're being ironic in describing homeless people as smelly creatures, it's simply what you've called them Tom. If I were to use the phrase "smelly creatures" then the irony would be self evident as it's not how I view people in such situations at all. And if you want to ask me questions about belief then there's a thread for just that so take it over there. So now you can give a proper response to everything you've avoided.

Arthur Brain

AB,

Why are you hesitant to judge a wino on the street, but have no problem judging Christians?

Is Jesus Christ God?

Tom

A: Not all people on the streets are 'winos', and when someone ignorant enough to judge all those without shelter as such then they deserve to be called on their arrogance and mind bending lack of empathy - whatever religion or lack of they claim to be.

B: Take your religious questions to the thread for such Tom. I've no time for your trying to deflect yet further with it.

TeeJay

=Arthur Brain;2782313]Tom, you shouldn't be trying to wrap anything around the phrase. It's not as though you're being ironic in describing homeless people as smelly creatures, it's simply what you've called them Tom. If I were to use the phrase "smelly creatures" then the irony would be self evident as it's not how I view people in such situations at all. And if you want to ask me questions about belief then there's a thread for just that so take it over there. So now you can give a proper response to everything you've avoided.

AB, why don't nicer-than-God people like you take them home and let them use your shower or bath. Then they would not be "smelly creatures."

Tom

TeeJay

=Arthur Brain;2782325]A: Not all people on the streets are 'winos', and when someone ignorant enough to judge all those without shelter as such then they deserve to be called on their arrogance and mind bending lack of empathy - whatever religion or lack of they claim to be.

B: Take your religious questions to the thread for such Tom. I've no time for your trying to deflect yet further with it.

AB,

I know why you don't want to answer. For you, Jesus is not God. Therefore, you are not a Christian any more than a Mormon. If your jesus is not God, then that jesus is not the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. The jesus you worship does not exist except in your mind.

Be it known to all on ToL that AB is not a Christian.

Tom