Quotations of the day

FineLinen

d6ee2cdc6a32b2abbdbbbc6a45b94e49.jpg

elizabethbarrettbrowning1-2x.jpg

Last edited:

FineLinen

"I am convinced that any suffering we endure is less than nothing compared to the magnitude of glory that is about to be unveiled within us.
The entire universe is standing on tiptoe, yearning to see the unveiling of God’s glorious sons and daughters! For against its will the universe itself has had to endure the empty futility resulting from the consequences of human sin. But now, with eager expectation, all creation longs for freedom from its slavery to decay and to experience with us the wonderful freedom coming to God’s children." -TPT-

FineLinen

"Faith is not an art. Faith is not an achievement. Faith is not a good work of which some may boast while others can excuse themselves with a shrug of the shoulders for not being capable of it. It is a decisive insight of faith itself that all of us are incapable of faith in ourselves, whether we think of its preparation, beginning, continuation, or completion." -Karl Barth-

b29d83b927ebeac9e0f3c524eea6a124.jpeg

FineLinen

"The chief proof of man's real greatness lies in his perception of his own smallness." -Arthur Conan Doyle

"The true way to be humble is not to stoop until you are smaller than yourself, but to stand at your real height against some higher nature that will show you what the real smallness of your greatness is." -Phillips Brooks

FineLinen

“God never hurries. There are no deadlines against which he must work. Only to know this is to quiet our spirits and relax our nerves.” - A.W. Tozer

“The reason why many are still troubled, still seeking, still making little forward progress is because they haven't yet come to the end of themselves. We're still trying to give orders, and interfering with God's work within us.” - A. W. Tozer

iu

FineLinen

iu

"The chief proof of man's real greatness lies in his perception of his own smallness." -Arthur Conan Doyle

"The true way to be humble is not to stoop until you are smaller than yourself, but to stand at your real height against some higher nature that will show you what the real smallness of your greatness is." -Phillips Brooks

FineLinen

"God is always bigger than the boxes we build for God, so we should not waste too much time protecting the boxes." -Richard Rohr-

“We do not think ourselves into new ways of living, we live ourselves into new ways of thinking.” - Richard Rohr-

iu

FineLinen

"All great spirituality teaches about letting go of what you don’t need and who you are not. Then, when you can get little enough and naked enough and poor enough, you’ll find that the little place where you really are is ironically more than enough and is all that you need. At that place, you will have nothing to prove to anybody and nothing to protect. That place is called freedom. It’s the freedom of the children of God. Such people can connect with everybody. They don’t feel the need to eliminate anybody . . ." -Richard Rohr

"Prayer is sitting in the silence until it silences us, choosing gratitude until we are grateful, and praising God until we ourselves are an act of praise." -Richard Rohr-

FineLinen

"How I treat a brother or sister from day to day, how I react to the sin-scarred wino on the street, how I respond to interruptions from people I dislike, how I deal with normal people in their normal confusion on a normal day may be a better indication of my reverence for life than the antiabortion sticker on the bumper of my car.” -Brennan Manning-

“As we come to grips with our own selfishness and stupidity, we make friends with the impostor and accept that we are impoverished and broken and realize that, if we were not, we would be God. The art of gentleness toward ourselves leads to being gentle with others -- and is a natural prerequisite for our presence to God in prayer.” -Brennan Manning-

996793c9df1f91231282798571af3d01.jpg

FineLinen

“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.” - Michel de Montaigne-

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Ernest Hemingway-

“If anyone tells you that a certain person speaks ill of you, do not make excuses about what is said of you but answer, "He was ignorant of my other faults, else he would not have mentioned these alone.” - Epictetus-

FineLinen

“The revolutionary thinking that God loves me as I am and not as I should be requires radical rethinking and profound emotional readjustment. Small wonder that the late spiritual giant Basil Hume of London, England, claimed that Christians find it easier to believe that God exists than that God loves them.” - Brennan Manning-

“The kingdom is not an exclusive, well-trimmed suburb with snobbish rules about who can live there. No, it is for a larger, homelier, less self-conscious caste of people who understand they are sinners because they have experienced the yaw and pitch of moral struggle.” - Brennan Manning-

FineLinen

"We are blind: we cannot see God with our senses, and our deductions from what we know or are thinking about the word of God itself - how little power they have to bring us to God! We are blind, and our eyes need the touch of our Lord's hand to enable us at times to even see dimly." -Basil Hume-

FineLinen

"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold." -Leo Tolstoy-

quote-wrong-does-not-cease-to-be-wrong-because-the-majority-share-in-it-leo-tolstoy-37-4-0456.jpg

FineLinen

"Soon after you're dead - we're not sure how long - but not long, you'll be united with the most ecstatic love you've ever known. As one of the best things in your life was human love, this will be love, but much more satisfying, and it will last forever." -Basil Hume-

iu

FineLinen

“There is no one who is insignificant in the purpose of God.” –Alistair Begg-

“One touch of Christ is worth a lifetime of struggling.” –A.B. Simpson-

iu

FineLinen

"We are not responsible for the circumstances we are in, but we are responsible for the way we allow those circumstances to affect us; we can either allow them to get on top of us or we can allow them to transform us into what God wants us to be." -Oswald Chambers-

zpepatg73lk51.png

Last edited:

FineLinen

"The church is not a select circle of the immaculate, but a home where the outcast may come in. It is not a palace with gate attendants and challenging sentinels along the entrance-ways holding off at arm's-length the stranger, but rather a hospital where the broken-hearted may be healed, and where all the weary and troubled may find rest and take counsel together." - James H. Aughey-

FineLinen

"God is looking for broken men who have judged themselves in the light of the cross of Christ. When He wants anything done, He takes up men who have come to the end of themselves, whose confidence is not in themselves, but in God." - Harry Ironside-

"God uses broken things. It takes broken soil to produce a crop, broken clouds to give rain, broken grain to give bread, broken bread to give strength. It is the broken alabaster box that gives forth perfume. It is Peter, weeping bitterly, who returns to greater power than ever." - Vance Havner-

Oswald-Chambers-Quote-Invincible-Future-300x300.jpg