Question for Bob Hill: Rewards

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Freak said:
If one didn't receive any other reward but Jesus would you be missing something of eternal significance?

No, but God desires to give. Reward and punishment are basic principles. There is also degrees of punishment. It fits in with God's impartial love and justice.

Sozo

godrulz said:
. Reward and punishment are basic principles.
Under the Law, that is true. Do good, get good, do bad get punished. But if you continue to relate to God through that system, you completely undue the work of Christ.

Of course, I am not surprised that you still are walking under the demands of the Law, because you are still carnal.

"See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ."

Last edited:

Sozo

godrulz said:
The Bible.

Stewardship parables.

Heb. 11:6 rewards those who diligently seek Him (speculative what the rewards are, but they are more than just having God in our lives...all believers have this...context is faith).
The reward is Life. Those whom He rewards in that verse are those who need to believe that He is, and the reward is His life. Everything given to us by God is in Him, in His Life.

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Sozo,

You wrote:

The crown(s) that believers receive are life, righteousness, and glory through faith in Jesus Christ. All those who are in Christ receive them.

It may be true that we will receive stuff, however, in 1 Cor 9:24-27, it seems that we can become disqualified. 1 Cor 9:24-27 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. 26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Sozo,

We have the potential of having another crown which Paul mentioned.

2 Tim 4:6-8 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

That’s the kind of crown that we should be striving for, not just to get a crown, but because we are pleasing the Lord.

Bob Hill

Sozo

Bob Hill said:
Sozo,

It may be true that we will receive stuff, however, in 1 Cor 9:24-27, it seems that we can become disqualified. 1 Cor 9:24-27 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. 26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

Bob Hill

Greetings Bob!

I'm not sure what you meant in your first sentence "It may be true that we will receive stuff". Are you referring to life, righteousness, and glory as "stuff"?

In any case, Paul is comparing what he does as a minister of the gospel, to those who run in a race. He knows that they only way to assure that one not be disqualified in a race is to be certain that he will win. Paul cannot have what he has been called to do in preaching the gospel be done in vain. Paul does not want to be rejected by those with whom he shares the message.

Freak

I inquired: If one didn't receive any other reward but Jesus would you be missing something of eternal significance?
godrulz said:
No, but God desires to give.
Well, then it doesn't matter, for we won't be missing anything since we have the very life of Jesus. All this talk about rewards is silly since we believers have Christ who is THE REWARD.

Freak

Bob Hill said:
Sozo,
You wrote:
It may be true that we will receive stuff, however, in 1 Cor 9:24-27, it seems that we can become disqualified.
Bob Hill
What "stuff" are you referring to?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Running races and crowns may have some symbolic, illustrative sense, but they must portray some reality or truth.

Freak

godrulz said:
Running races and crowns may have some symbolic, illustrative sense, but they must portray some reality or truth.
Our reality is Jesus Christ, godrulz.

"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ."

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Sozo,

Why do you have this godrulz is a false teacher on your post all the time? I don't think God wants us to do things like that as Christians. I plead with you to remove it.

Bob Hill

Sozo

Bob Hill said:
Sozo,

Why do you have this godrulz is a false teacher on your post all the time?

All of us say things that are false, at times. I certainly am aware of that, and am guilty of it.

However, godrulz is fairly articulate and somewhat well versed, and therefore many people may fall victim of the idea that he preaches the gospel, when nearly every view he has is diametrically opposed. The sheep need to know when there is a wolf in their midst.

I don't think God wants us to do things like that as Christians.

Are you saying that Paul would never have exposed false teachers?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Freak said:
Our reality is Jesus Christ, godrulz.

"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ."

The issue of rewards and stewardship is not the same issue as the Old Testament shadows/types and their fulfillment in Christ. They are different topics, so keep the texts separate.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Bob Hill said:
Sozo,

Why do you have this godrulz is a false teacher on your post all the time? I don't think God wants us to do things like that as Christians. I plead with you to remove it.

Bob Hill

He does not consider me a Christian. He likens me to worse than Hitler, a Satan worshipper, a Christ hater, etc.

Thank you for your attempt to mediate. I think it grieves the Spirit that he would attribute God's love and grace in my life as demonic due to different understandings of sanctification (this was our main dispute...he does not seem to see that I affirm biblical, historical, orthodox Christianity including justification by grace through faith alone, apart from works or self-righteousness). I believe he misunderstands my ideas to some degree. Even if I am wrong in some areas, this is not tantamount to being outside of a relationship with Christ and His Church.

(I am a former pastor in the Canadian equivalent of the Assemblies of God...you would think that they or my other pastors would have had discernment if I was a wolf in the midst of the flock...I have also been on the board of a godly, powerful church...I doubt they were blind to my relationship with God).

I concur that we should deal with beliefs, not ad hominem attacks.

I agree we should expose false teachings. This does not mean we are false teachers in the fundamentals of the faith necessarily. We are also to speak the truth in love and have wisdom and discernment. The Spirit is able to lead us into truth through His Word.

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Sozo,

I'm sorry you use the Apostle Paul as an example. God was leading him into all truth. He is not leading us into all truth like He was leading Paul. I have changed aspects of my theological beliefs over a thousand times. Who knows what is next?

God knows my heart, that I want to find His truth in His word, but we all have blinders on to some extent. I plead with you again. What you are doing in this one thing is not a godly thing.

In Christ,
Bob Hill

Sozo

Bob Hill said:
Sozo,

I'm sorry you use the Apostle Paul as an example. God was leading him into all truth. He is not leading us into all truth like He was leading Paul. I have changed aspects of my theological beliefs over a thousand times. Who knows what is next?

God knows my heart, that I want to find His truth in His word, but we all have blinders on to some extent. I plead with you again. What you are doing in this one thing is not a godly thing.

In Christ,
Bob Hill

If I believed you, I would never read my bible and I would never tell people about Jesus. There would be no absolutes, and PureX would be our leader.

If we cannot know the the truth of the gospel, then what hope are we sharing?

Shall we not warn the church, or the lost, of the teachings that come from Mormons, JWs, Calvinists, etc.?

If none of us has an understanding of the message concerning Christ, then we are all just blind leading blind.

Freak

godrulz said:
The issue of rewards and stewardship is not the same issue as the Old Testament shadows/types and their fulfillment in Christ. They are different topics, so keep the texts separate.
The rewards given in the OT were shadows, however, in the New Covenant the reality is found in Christ, our reward.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Freak said:
If one didn't receive any other reward but Jesus would you be missing something of eternal significance?
Jesus is our Lord and Savior. That is not being debated here.

If God gives us the reward of some significant relationships, how much the better?

Freak

Shimei said:
Jesus is our Lord and Savior. That is not being debated here.
I believe we all agree on this.

If God gives us the reward of some significant relationships, how much the better?
Shimei, we have Christ who is our ALL. What more could we need apart from His very life? If I have Christ, which I do, then what more would I need in glory? I believe in the sufficiency of Jesus Christ.