Question for Bob Hill: Rewards

Mr. 5020

Freak said:
No, but ones understanding of "crowns" is mistaken. Jesus is our crown. The apostle John, tells us, the one has crowns "...is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God."

The crowns that believers have obtained is Jesus the Lord!
Are you kidding? Using that logic, you could translate the verse, "The One who has crowns is the crowns." That's ridiculous. How do you explain the various types of crowns for various achievments? Is Jesus a schizo?

Freak

Mr. 5020 said:
How do you explain the various types of crowns for various achievments?
Achievements? All, I know is Jesus is the One who has the crowns--He is King! If we have His life, then He rules as King (the One whom possesses the crowns) in our lives. He is our reward and the only achievement that I'm aware of is obtaining the riches of His grace.

Mr. 5020

Freak said:
Achievements? All, I know is Jesus is the One who has the crowns--He is King! If we have His life, then He rules as King (the One whom possesses the crowns) in our lives. He is our reward and the only achievement that I'm aware of is obtaining the riches of His grace.
Right, He has the crowns. Not that He is the crown. Since you don't that part of your Bible well, let me list some verses.

(1 Corinthians 9:25) And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

(2 Timothy 4:8) Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

(James 1:12) Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

(1 Peter 5:4) And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.
Those are just a few. Now, are all of those crowns Jesus?

Freak

Mr. 5020 said:
Right, He has the crowns. Not that He is the crown. Since you don't that part of your Bible well, let me list some verses.

(1 Corinthians 9:25) And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

(2 Timothy 4:8) Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

(James 1:12) Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

(1 Peter 5:4) And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.
Those are just a few. Now, are all of those crowns Jesus?

Our crown of righteousness is no other then Jesus the Lord

Our crown of life is no other then Jesus the Lord

Our crown of glory is no other then Jesus the Lord

Our incorruptible crown is no other then Jesus the Lord

For life, righteousness, any incorruptible gift/crown is found in Him as a person.

Mr. 5020

Freak said:
Our crown of righteousness is no other then Jesus the Lord

Our crown of life is no other then Jesus the Lord

Our crown of glory is no other then Jesus the Lord

Our incorruptible crown is no other then Jesus the Lord

For life, righteousness, any incorruptible gift/crown is found in Him as a person.
So He is going to give us Himself as a crown?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Reward could have something to do with responsiblity. The thief on the cross will not get the same rewards as Dwight Moody. Both have Jesus, but God says He will remember our works done for the saints, the cup of water given in Jesus name, etc. Stewardship parables imply rewards/responsibilities. The crowns we get are put at Jesus' feet showing that He gets all the glory for what we do in His name.

Freak

Mr. 5020 said:
So He is going to give us Himself as a crown?
Yep. Just as He gives Himself to us as a shield.

The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.
He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

--Ps. 18

Mr. 5020

Freak said:
Yep. Just as He gives Himself to us as a shield.

The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.
He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

--Ps. 18
It doesn't say that He will give Himself to us a shield. That's the difference: the way it is worded. This proves my point. Why would God say that "He is my shield" and then say that "He will give me a crown" if He should have just said "I am your crown."

Freak

Mr. 5020 said:
It doesn't say that He will give Himself to us a shield. That's the difference: the way it is worded. This proves my point. Why would God say that "He is my shield" and then say that "He will give me a crown" if He should have just said "I am your crown."

"After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, “Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward.”

Mr. 5020

Freak said:
"After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, “Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward.”
Thank you for another proof text for my point.

Freak

Mr. 5020 said:
Thank you for another proof text for my point.

The Lord God is our reward as revealed from Abram to the apostle John.

As the prophet Isaiah understood long ago, "...the LORD Almighty will be a glorious crown..."

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Crown, reward, shield, etc. can have different implications in every context. One should not make a simplistic doctrine or generalization from one context alone. We need to look at all relevant concepts in Scripture to formulate a doctrine. God is our Reward, but this does not preclude the possibility of other rewards. There is also more than one type of crown as evidenced by the various Greek words for crown in Scripture.

Freak

godrulz said:
Crown, reward, shield, etc. can have different implications in every context. One should not make a simplistic doctrine or generalization from one context alone. We need to look at all relevant concepts in Scripture to formulate a doctrine. God is our Reward, but this does not preclude the possibility of other rewards. There is also more than one type of crown as evidenced by the various Greek words for crown in Scripture.
Yes, there are crowns but it is no other then Jesus Christ. The crown of righteousness is Jesus. The crown of life is Jesus. And so on.

What do you think a crown is? Like to get your thoughts.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
I believe the crown (rewards) have to do with relationships. There is nothing better....

Sozo

Shimei said:
I believe the crown (rewards) have to do with relationships. There is nothing better....

Jesus took a crown of thorns, that we may have a crown of life.

All who come to Christ, receive THE reward, which is His life, and in His life we receive all that God has prepared for us.

The crown(s) that believers receive are life, righteousness, and glory through faith in Jesus Christ. All those who are in Christ receive them.

In this life, Paul referred to those whom he has preached the gospel to, and nurtured in the faith, are his crown. They are also his reward for laying the foundation (Jesus). And others are rewarded as they build on that foundation. They are rewarded in the fact that they see the fruit of their labor, in those who have grown in the faith; not that they get something extra in the age(s) to come.

Preaching a gospel of works, is building on the foundation with wood, hay, and straw, and the reward will be burned up. His efforts will produce nothing of value in the hearts of those whom he has shared.

For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building. According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building upon it. But let each man be careful how he builds upon it. For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man builds upon the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it, because it is to be revealed with fire; and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work. If any man's work which he has built upon it remains, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work is burned up, he shall suffer loss; but he himself shall be saved, yet so as through fire."

Freak

Shimei said:
If one didn't receive any other reward but Jesus would you be missing something of eternal significance?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Sozo said:

The Bible.

Stewardship parables.

Heb. 11:6 rewards those who diligently seek Him (speculative what the rewards are, but they are more than just having God in our lives...all believers have this...context is faith).

Heb. 6:10 God is not unjust to forget our love and help to others.

I Cor. 3:15 (context of ministry) "...he will receive his reward..." (talking about works, not salvation or God Himself).

etc. etc. (do a search on rewards in the whole Bible and read each context...I have not, but it does talk about it...it does not fully reveal the nature of the rewards...you will have more rewards/responsibilities in eternity than the thief on the cross who was snatched at the last minute from the fire...this is consistent with concepts of justice, fairness, etc. Deuteronomy also talks about blessings, even in crops, for obedience and cursing for disobedience....God reveals principles, even though OT).