Psalm 82

TrevorL

Greetings jaybird,
Psalm 82
who were these gods?
They were judges in Israel. They were called gods or Elohim, because they represented God when they judged the people Exodus 21:6, Psalm 82:2-4, John 10:30-36.

Kind regards
Trevor

oatmeal

Greetings jaybird,They were judges in Israel. They were called gods or Elohim, because they represented God when they judged the people Exodus 21:6, Psalm 82:2-4, John 10:30-36.

Kind regards
Trevor

Indeed they were and in some verses, "judges" was translated from the Hebrew word "elohim" which in most situations is translated god or God or gods. Thus we see that God uses the word God or god to refer to humans as well as to spiritual beings, most notably himself.

Therefore we see that "elohim" is not a name but a title or attribute

jaybird

Greetings jaybird,They were judges in Israel. They were called gods or Elohim, because they represented God when they judged the people Exodus 21:6, Psalm 82:2-4, John 10:30-36.

Kind regards
Trevor

i dont remember Israel ruling over any nations.

True or False

BANNED
Banned
Indeed, there are II Corinthians 6:18

Scripture tends to use the all inclusive noun men or sons when actually referring to both genders.

Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free,
there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

True or false?

TrevorL

Greetings oatmeal and Greetings again jaybird,
Indeed they were and in some verses, "judges" was translated from the Hebrew word "elohim" which in most situations is translated god or God or gods. Thus we see that God uses the word God or god to refer to humans as well as to spiritual beings, most notably himself.

Therefore we see that "elohim" is not a name but a title or attribute
Yes Jesus in John 10:34-36 makes reference to the fact that the Judges appointed by Moses were called God or gods. It is interesting to note that the translators had difficulty with the relevant verses where the Judges represented God and were called by the title God or gods (Hebrew Elohim):
Exodus 21:6 (KJV): 6 Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever.
Exodus 21:6 (ASV): then his master shall bring him unto God, and shall bring him to the door, or unto the door-post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an awl; and he shall serve him for ever.

Exodus 22:8-9 (KJV): 8 If the thief be not found, then the master of the house shall be brought unto the judges, to see whether he have put his hand unto his neighbour’s goods. 9 For all manner of trespass, whether it be for ox, for donkey, for sheep, for raiment, or for any manner of lost thing, which another challengeth to be his, the cause of both parties shall come before the judges; and whom the judges shall condemn, he shall pay double unto his neighbour.
Exodus 22:8-9 (ASV): 8 If the thief be not found, then the master of the house shall come near unto God, to see whether he have not put his hand unto his neighbor’s goods. 9 For every matter of trespass, whether it be for ox, for donkey, for sheep, for raiment, or for any manner of lost thing, whereof one saith, This is it, the cause of both parties shall come before God; he whom God shall condemn shall pay double unto his neighbor.

The role and responsibility of the judges is indicated in the following:
Deuteronomy 1:17 (KJV): Ye shall not respect persons in judgment; but ye shall hear the small as well as the great; ye shall not be afraid of the face of man; for the judgment is God’s: and the cause that is too hard for you, bring it unto me, and I will hear it.
2 Chronicles 19:6 (KJV): And said to the judges, Take heed what ye do: for ye judge not for man, but for the LORD, who is with you in the judgment.

i dont remember Israel ruling over any nations.
No, these were the Judges that Moses appointed at the recommendation by his father in law. Moses was overburdened by all the people who gathered for Moses to make judgement on their various problems. Moses appointed these Judges to administer the Law, and only pass the difficult cases to Moses. Refer Exodus 18:13-26.

Kind regards
Trevor

daqq

Greetings oatmeal and Greetings again jaybird,
Yes Jesus in John 10:34-36 makes reference to the fact that the Judges appointed by Moses were called God or gods. It is interesting to note that the translators had difficulty with the relevant verses where the Judges represented God and were called by the title God or gods (Hebrew Elohim):
Exodus 21:6 (KJV): 6 Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever.
Exodus 21:6 (ASV): then his master shall bring him unto God, and shall bring him to the door, or unto the door-post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an awl; and he shall serve him for ever.

Exodus 22:8-9 (KJV): 8 If the thief be not found, then the master of the house shall be brought unto the judges, to see whether he have put his hand unto his neighbour’s goods. 9 For all manner of trespass, whether it be for ox, for donkey, for sheep, for raiment, or for any manner of lost thing, which another challengeth to be his, the cause of both parties shall come before the judges; and whom the judges shall condemn, he shall pay double unto his neighbour.
Exodus 22:8-9 (ASV): 8 If the thief be not found, then the master of the house shall come near unto God, to see whether he have not put his hand unto his neighbor’s goods. 9 For every matter of trespass, whether it be for ox, for donkey, for sheep, for raiment, or for any manner of lost thing, whereof one saith, This is it, the cause of both parties shall come before God; he whom God shall condemn shall pay double unto his neighbor.

The role and responsibility of the judges is indicated in the following:
Deuteronomy 1:17 (KJV): Ye shall not respect persons in judgment; but ye shall hear the small as well as the great; ye shall not be afraid of the face of man; for the judgment is God’s: and the cause that is too hard for you, bring it unto me, and I will hear it.
2 Chronicles 19:6 (KJV): And said to the judges, Take heed what ye do: for ye judge not for man, but for the LORD, who is with you in the judgment.

No, these were the Judges that Moses appointed at the recommendation by his father in law. Moses was overburdened by all the people who gathered for Moses to make judgement on their various problems. Moses appointed these Judges to administer the Law, and only pass the difficult cases to Moses. Refer Exodus 18:13-26.

Kind regards
Trevor

Thus the Logos-Word is first and foremost the Torah which the Elohim-Judges consulted in all of their judgments.

jaybird

Kind regards
Trevor

the passage mentions nations so thats why i was thnking nations. where does the passage say these were judges over local affairs? i saw the other passeges your posted, where are those judges called sons of the Most High?

Last edited:

TrevorL

Greetings again jaybird,
the massage mentions nations so thats why i was thnking nations. where does the passage say these were judges over local affairs?
In Exodus 18:13-26.
i saw the other passeges your posted, where are those judges called sons of the Most High?
The following is a Hebrew poetical parallelism, where much the same idea is expressed in different words.
Psalm 82:6–7 (AV): 6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. 7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.
The role of the Judges is such that they represented God, and in a sense were like a part of God’s family, children of the Most High. Jesus when he quotes Psalm 82:6 in John 10:34-36 is suggesting that this denunciation of the unjust Judges could possibly be applied to the present elders of the Sanhedrin who were also wrongly judging Jesus and seeking his death.

Kind regards
Trevor

jaybird

Greetings again jaybird, In Exodus 18:13-26. The following is a Hebrew poetical parallelism, where much the same idea is expressed in different words.
Psalm 82:6–7 (AV): 6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. 7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.
The role of the Judges is such that they represented God, and in a sense were like a part of God’s family, children of the Most High. Jesus when he quotes Psalm 82:6 in John 10:34-36 is suggesting that this denunciation of the unjust Judges could possibly be applied to the present elders of the Sanhedrin who were also wrongly judging Jesus and seeking his death.

Kind regards
Trevor
Shalom back at you Trev!
i think there is a difference betwen sons of the Most High and children of the Most High.sons of the Most High dont die. these gods in the passage who may have ruled and judged are now the ones being judged by the Almighty. their judgment is to die like men. the judges appointed by Moses surely would have been aware of their mortality.

beameup

Michael Heiser has covered this topic in some of his Youtube videos.

The word used in Psalm 82:1 is 'elohim. These are divine beings and apparently meet with God.
A better translation would be:
God has taken his place in the divine council;
in the midst of the elohim he holds judgment
:

UnseenRealm_share-image.png

jaybird

Michael Heiser has covered this topic in some of his Youtube videos.

The word used in Psalm 82:1 is 'elohim. These are divine beings and apparently meet with God.
A better translation would be:
God has taken his place in the divine council;
in the midst of the elohim he holds judgment
:

he has pretty good presentations on the subject. i like what he pointed out with son of Most High and son of man and that they were phrases used to establish ones state of being.son of the Most High - of the heavens, son of man - of this world. i think the ancients understood this.