ECT PROTESTANT REFORMERS HAD NO LEGITIMATE MISSION FROM GOD TO REFORM THE CHURCH

brewmama

The Catholics can't even keep the correct Canon of OT. Only the Jews and Protestants are keeping the correct OT Canon.

That's the way how God authenticated the Protestants.

I hate to tell you, but the Christian canon trumps the Hebrew one, as we use the actual Bible that Jesus used. You are the ones who left Jesus' own scriptures behind, to use the ones that Jews who were in opposition to Christians mandated.

Wick Stick

we use the actual Bible that Jesus used.
Uh... the Bible wasn't canonized til hundreds of years after that. Are you referring to the books in the Tanach? That also wasn't finalized til later.

I'm not even sure that "canon" was a concept in the 1st century.

JonahofAkron

Uh... the Bible wasn't canonized til hundreds of years after that. Are you referring to the books in the Tanach? That also wasn't finalized til later.

I'm not even sure that "canon" was a concept in the 1st century.
It wasn't necessarily, but there was an accepted list of writings. The Tanach thing is hilarious. No apostolic writings for catholics.

JonahofAkron

I hate to tell you, but the Christian canon trumps the Hebrew one, as we use the actual Bible that Jesus used. You are the ones who left Jesus' own scriptures behind, to use the ones that Jews who were in opposition to Christians mandated.
.........I need you to go ahead and Google the concept that you stated....it's really weird. And not true. The canon we have now is the same as the Jewish canon....except they lack the apostolic writings. And as I said before, the bible that Jesus used was the Tanach.....and maybe some of the Apocrypha...maybe.

brewmama

.........I need you to go ahead and Google the concept that you stated....it's really weird. And not true. The canon we have now is the same as the Jewish canon....except they lack the apostolic writings. And as I said before, the bible that Jesus used was the Tanach.....and maybe some of the Apocrypha...maybe.

The Bible Jesus used is the Septuagint.

"Philo and Josephus (both associated with first century Hellenistic Judaism) ascribed divine inspiration to its translators, and the primary ancient account of the process is the circa 2nd century BCE Letter of Aristeas. Some of the Dead Sea Scrolls attest to Hebrew texts other than those on which the Masoretic Text was based; in some cases, these newly found texts accord with the Septuagint version.[11] Strong evidence exists that the Septuagint was the canon in place in first century Palestine. "Authors Archer and Chirichigno list 340 places where the New Testament cites the Septuagint but only 33 places where it cites from the Masoretic Text rather than the Septuagint."

The Jewish canon was set at Jamnia c70-90 AD.

"Thus, there is no scholarly consensus as to when the Jewish canon was set. Nevertheless, the outcomes attributed to the Council of Jamnia did occur whether gradually or as the ruling of a definitive, authoritative council.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_the_Hebrew_Bible_canon

JonahofAkron

"Philo and Josephus (both associated with first century Hellenistic Judaism) ascribed divine inspiration to its translators, and the primary ancient account of the process is the circa 2nd century BCE Letter of Aristeas. Some of the Dead Sea Scrolls attest to Hebrew texts other than those on which the Masoretic Text was based; in some cases, these newly found texts accord with the Septuagint version.[11] Strong evidence exists that the Septuagint was the canon in place in first century Palestine. "Authors Archer and Chirichigno list 340 places where the New Testament cites the Septuagint but only 33 places where it cites from the Masoretic Text rather than the Septuagint."

"Thus, there is no scholarly consensus as to when the Jewish canon was set. Nevertheless, the outcomes attributed to the Council of Jamnia did occur whether gradually or as the ruling of a definitive, authoritative council.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_the_Hebrew_Bible_canon
You're still arguing something incredulous: the implication of your words was that Jesus uses the New Testament....simply untrue and impossible.

HisServant

I hope you realize that Jesus was crucified, buried and resurrected years before a single word of the New Testament was written.

The bible didn't get assembled until the 3rd century.... Jesus never saw a 'bible' during his lifetime.

Cruciform

The Catholics can't even keep the correct Canon of OT. Only the Jews and Protestants are keeping the correct OT Canon.
You mean the Jews who utterly rejected Christ and the Christian faith?---those are the Jews whose "canon" you take pride in following. Brilliant.

The fact is that the "Bible" (OT) of Jesus, the apostles, and the early Christian Church was the Septuagint, which contained all seven of the Deuterocanonical books that Protestants removed from the Bible during the 16th-century Protestant Rebellion. Jesus, the apostles, and the early Church all had the Deueterocaonical books in their canon, just as has Christ's one historic Catholic Church right down to our own day.

You can keep your Jewish "canon." I'll stick with the authoritative canon endorsed by my Lord, his apostles, and his one historic Church.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cedarbay

The Catholic Church has always believed and taught justification by faith. What Luther insisted on was his entirely invented notion of "justification by faith ALONE." Big difference there, and one which is glaringly spelled out in the New Testament.
Yep, justified by faith alone. RCC confuse justification and sanctification. It's easy to do.

Wick Stick

The quoted material is true, but fundamentally, the Septuagint ("LXX") is not a canon. It is a grouping of manuscripts written in Koine Greek, mostly of the dialect of Palestine. The Septuagint manuscripts include many books that aren't in the Old Testament or Tanach as we now have them canonized. There are even a few that aren't part of the Apocrypha.

The Council of Jamnia is a hypothetical event. Historians don't even agree on its existence.

What is certain is that the Tanaiim, in particular Rabbi Akiva, supervised a certain amount of redaction and reinterpretation of existing Scriptures, in an effort to exclude all sects of Judaism other than Pharisee-ism.

Jarrod