Proof from the Bible that God is In Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aimiel

He is The Only One Who speaks in future-perfect tense... since He knows the future. He sits upon the circle of the earth: which is TIME. He commands time as He commands all that He surveys. Nothing escapes His gaze.

Have ye not known? have ye not heard? hath it not been told you from the beginning? have ye not understood from the foundations of the earth? It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in: that bringeth the princes to nothing; he maketh the judges of the earth as vanity. -- Isaiah 40:21-23

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
God didn't lie. He would have destroyed Nineveh had they not repented. He knew Jonah had the courage to preach to them. He just had to kick-start that courage. Some people take more encouragement than others to apply themselves.

Did God know they were going to repent when He said they would be overthrown in 40 days?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
God didn't lie. He would have destroyed Nineveh had they not repented. He knew Jonah had the courage to preach to them. He just had to kick-start that courage. Some people take more encouragement than others to apply themselves.

It was a conditional prophecy with a genuinely open future, even in God's mind. He would have a better understanding than man (due to perfect past/present knowledge and infinite intelligence), but the future was not fatalistically settled by determinism nor foreknowledge and God knew the reality as such (unsettled vs settled). In all this He is fully omniscient in all major views, including Open Theism.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
He is The Only One Who speaks in future-perfect tense... since He knows the future. He sits upon the circle of the earth: which is TIME. He commands time as He commands all that He surveys. Nothing escapes His gaze.

Have ye not known? have ye not heard? hath it not been told you from the beginning? have ye not understood from the foundations of the earth? It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in: that bringeth the princes to nothing; he maketh the judges of the earth as vanity. -- Isaiah 40:21-23

Yes, God knows the past and present exhaustively, but the future is fundamentally different. The circle of the earth (Heb.) refers to the globe/earth, not time (where did you get that speculative idea from?!).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
God has a decretive will and a permissive will nothing happens outside of His sovereign will. That is all you're getting from me. This line of questioning is out of line when you continue to ask "if God is a liar".

This is Calvinistic philosophy, not biblical truth. God's wills do not contradict and a secret will would not go against His character.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
He knew it before the foundation of the earth.

By your ow admissions God knew that He was not going to overthrow Nineveh when He said that in 40 days they would be overthrown.

You believe that God says He is going to do something knowing full well that He is not going to do what He said He would do.

Your speak of a God that can't be trusted.

ThePresbyteers

He would not be able to think, act, feel and would not be a personal being, just a rock (but even rocks cannot escape the march of time).
Rocks vibrate. Vibrations means movement in time and space. Think, act, feel means movement in time. In other words, From point A to point B means movement. Spirit is formless. Formless means no movement. theres nothing to move.

ThePresbyteers

Void-stamp-300x225.jpg

ThePresbyteers

This is Calvinistic philosophy, not biblical truth. God's wills do not contradict and a secret will would not go against His character.
There's God's Secret Will, and His Revealed Will.

Also, His Decretive Will ...some of which is revealed and the rest secret.

Then there's the Lord's Prescriptive Will. And that's all revealed.

We might even toss in His Permissive Will. It's frequently misunderstood.

However, it's a sub-set of Decretive Will because God decrees to permit.

The overriding point, though: God doesn't have several wills.

His will is one.

These are simply categorizations of that one will.

Like Revealed Will vs. Secret Will.

Only difference between the two being what we see. It's all the same will. We just see part (Revealed Will) and not the other part (Secret Will).
TopSecret-189x300.jpg

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
You're still avoiding the question.

You are unable to HEAR the answer. Keep banging your head maybe you'll rattle loose the false teaching that has been implanted in your mind.
I was indoctrinated with the settled view for twenty years and still never heard anyone say that passage supported that view.

This passage does not support the settled view.:nono:

He knew it before the foundation of the earth.
Scripture?

Rocks vibrate. Vibrations means movement in time and space. Think, act, feel means movement in time. In other words, From point A to point B means movement. Spirit is formless. Formless means no movement. theres nothing to move.
:AMR:

There's God's Secret Will, and His Revealed Will.

Also, His Decretive Will ...some of which is revealed and the rest secret.

Then there's the Lord's Prescriptive Will. And that's all revealed.

We might even toss in His Permissive Will. It's frequently misunderstood.

However, it's a sub-set of Decretive Will because God decrees to permit.

The overriding point, though: God doesn't have several wills.

His will is one.

These are simply categorizations of that one will.

Like Revealed Will vs. Secret Will.

Only difference between the two being what we see. It's all the same will. We just see part (Revealed Will) and not the other part (Secret Will).
TopSecret-189x300.jpg
:listen:Don't tell anyone... it's a secret...

:rolleyes:

You're an idiot.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
You're still avoiding the question.

I was indoctrinated with the settled view for twenty years and still never heard anyone say that passage supported that view.

This passage does not support the settled view.:nono:

Rest assured. God is settled. We may not be but the Word of God assures us that He is.

What do you think it means to have peace? to listen to the people who introduce doubt?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Rest assured. God is settled. We may not be but the Word of God assures us that He is.
Then you won't mind backing up your claims with Scripture...

What do you think it means to have peace? to listen to the people who introduce doubt?
I wasn't at peace with the settled view when I reached an age of self reliance for my own critical thinking. It made no sense regarding the other things I knew of God, from Scripture. And I did not see any support of a completely settled view in the Bible. It was not until I was introduced to the idea that if I could not find it in His word and what I did read was contradictory to it that it was then untrue, that I found peace of mind regarding the issue.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

God is omnicompetent/responsive, not omnicasual/fatalistic. He is relational, not robotic. Get with the program. His greatness, faithfulness, etc. is not in doubt, but determinism is Islamic/secular (B.F. Skinner, etc.), not Christian.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Then you won't mind backing up your claims with Scripture...

I wasn't at peace with the settled view when I reached an age of self reliance for my own critical thinking. It made no sense regarding the other things I knew of God, from Scripture. And I did not see any support of a completely settled view in the Bible. It was not until I was introduced to the idea that if I could not find it in His word and what I did read was contradictory to it that it was then untrue, that I found peace of mind regarding the issue.

Hmmm. "self reliance".

Status
Not open for further replies.