Pro-life community just switched positions; it now supports assisted suicide!

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
My father-in-law died some years ago from ALS. He was a committed Christian all his life. As his condition worsened he became weaker and weaker and less able to do those things he loved to do. At the last, he was bedridden for a short time. The hospice nurse (dad was not in hospital, he steadfastly remained at home) told him he would have to go on a ventilator. He said no. He was ready to go Home. He died in peace a few hours later and went Home with the Lord.

The Christmas before he died we were with him. We all knew it would probably be his last Christmas on earth. So did he. He asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I told him I wanted a Bible. I wanted the same Bible he would buy for himself. I still have it, read and study it every day. On the flyleaf are his two favorite verses, 2 Timothy 2:15 and Psalm 119:11.

Just a memory with no particular relevance or import to the subject at hand.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Frank Ernest said:
My father-in-law died some years ago from ALS. He was a committed Christian all his life. As his condition worsened he became weaker and weaker and less able to do those things he loved to do. At the last, he was bedridden for a short time. The hospice nurse (dad was not in hospital, he steadfastly remained at home) told him he would have to go on a ventilator. He said no. He was ready to go Home. He died in peace a few hours later and went Home with the Lord.

The Christmas before he died we were with him. We all knew it would probably be his last Christmas on earth. So did he. He asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I told him I wanted a Bible. I wanted the same Bible he would buy for himself. I still have it, read and study it every day. On the flyleaf are his two favorite verses, 2 Timothy 2:15 and Psalm 119:11.

Just a memory with no particular relevance or import to the subject at hand.

Thanks for sharing Frank.

servent101

Crow
It makes no sense to me whatsoever.
- It does not to a lot of people - and as a country there is the debate that sort of sets what is right and what is wrong - the people who develop this medical technology leave it up to the courts to determine what is to be done with it... There are going to be some growing pains out of all this "application" of technology, and some people are going to suffer - but that is the price of determining how this new technology should be used.

In this particular case, I think the woman made her wishes known that she did not want to be kept alive in a vegetable state - and from what I have heard - she has no brain activity - since this is the case, or my understanding of the facts that the press has released - it is my opinion that she should be allowed to die, and not be kept alive in a brain dead state.

As to how this will endanger the lives of children, and people who are sick – I think it is just the wild imaginations of people running amuck. There is so much death already – so much poverty related death, and it is so hard for a rich person to die – possibly poetic justice. So to me too -
It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

servent101

She's not braindead, you blithering idiot!

You are sure of this? - or is this what you heard... if you would re-read my post - I stated
In this particular case, I think the woman made her wishes known that she did not want to be kept alive in a vegetable state - and from what I have heard - she has no brain activity - since this is the case, or my understanding of the facts that the press has released - it is my opinion that she should be allowed to die, and not be kept alive in a brain dead state.

Possibly the news is different there than where I am - and again... I clearly stated that
since this is the case, or my understanding of the facts that the press has released
that
it is my opinion that she should be allowed to die, and not be kept alive in a brain dead state.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

servent101

Assuming she hasn't starved to death in the past few hours... YES!
- What News is reliable? - the Canadian News did report she is brain dead, and in a vegatalbe state... Not that I am saying this is so - but what makes you so sure?

This could be a diversionary tactic - to take the public's mind off Iraq or some other News story that puts the Government in a bad light.

What exactly makes you so sure of your source? -

With Christ's Love

Servent101

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
MIAPic, Most Absurd Interpretation Possible

MIAPic, Most Absurd Interpretation Possible

Flipper said:
So basically, you're OK with letting someone die because they're in intensive care and on a ventilator, even though with the right care they could make a full recovery?...

Flipper, I didn't bother to read the rest of your post. Your first sentence reinforced my recollection of you being inclined to make the most absurd interpretations of things said by those you disagree with. If you really want to get an idea about judgments that conservative Christians make regarding reviving people near death, you can listen to the discussion I just had yesterday on that very topic with Brian Rohrbough, whose son you've probably seen in the photo of Danny's dead body lying on the sidewalk outside of Columbine high school.

Or listen to that discussion at higher quality 56kbps .

Last edited:

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
servent101 said:
- What News is reliable? - the Canadian News did report she is brain dead, and in a vegatalbe state... Not that I am saying this is so - but what makes you so sure?

You can bet that Canadian News isn't going to be reliable. :doh:

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
servent101 said:

This could be a diversionary tactic - to take the public's mind off Iraq or some other News story that puts the Government in a bad light.

What exactly makes you so sure of your source? -

With Christ's Love

Servent101
:noid:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Flipper said:
Bob Enyart wrote:

Can't face the flagrant inconsistencies of your position, hey?

Figures.
I find it typical that someone with a reputation as a radio shock-jock cannot abide anyone but himself using a bit of hyperbole...

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Zakath said:
I find it typical that someone with a reputation as a radio shock-jock cannot abide anyone but himself using a bit of hyperbole...
:darwinsm: Do I detect a bit of a breach with the spirit of Fellowship Week? As Paul would say, "God forbid!"

drbrumley

Hey Zak, Im not fat for starters and I will continue to laugh it up at your expense.

Just answering your reputation comment. :loser:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
drbrumley said:
Hey Zak, Im not fat for starters and I will continue to laugh it up at your expense.
Fat? :confused:

I suppose you've got to laugh at others so you find distraction from your own cognitive dissonance.

If it helps, knock yourself out.

drbrumley

Zakath said:
Fat? :confused:

I suppose you've got to laugh at others so you find distraction from your own cognitive dissonance.

If it helps, knock yourself out.

Sheesh, don't you even know what you type in your reputaion points replies?

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Zakath said:
I don't know... do you????

;)
:darwinsm: I'm quite sure you are intellectually capable of figuring it out. Perhaps the stress of convivial discourse (as in Fellowship) has placed an undue burden upon you. I hope this is not so as I wouldn't wish that kind of unhappiness on anyone.

Since you are in the psychology profession, I assume you would know some counsellors you respect who could help you with this matter.

Regards.

JoyfulRook

BChristianK said:
Servent,

Matthew 25:41-46 41 "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' 44 "They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' 45 "He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.' 46 "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

:think:
thoughts to ponder as you support starving someone to death, huh?
:thumb: