Pro-life community just switched positions; it now supports assisted suicide!

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Cognitive Dissonance. Is that the 21st-century epithet for atheism? I'm trying to catch up on the latest linguistic contortions of the modern generation.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Frank Ernest said:
Cognitive Dissonance. Is that the 21st-century epithet for atheism? I'm trying to catch up on the latest linguistic contortions of the modern generation.
There's this wonderful invention you could try, Frankie... it's called a dictionary.

servent101

BCK - from this threadhttp://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19216&page=2&pp=30

Enjoy!

Do a word search for 'everlasting hell'; ever hell; forever hell; eternal hell in any bible program and I bet you won't find any Hits for any combination of those words.

The closest you will find is Rev 1:18 KJVA I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.
and Hell is not what is forevermore. Jesus is the one who is forevermore!

In fact the word forevermore is also the very same phrase we have previously discussed eis tous aionos ton aionon "into the ages of the ages."

It does not matter to me what He believed overall His work on the concordance is very good.

Usage defines a word. And here is how God, in His very WORD, defines and uses the words "aion" and "aionios."

First let me show you that even Dr. Strong defines "aion"two DIFFERENT ways:

Strong's Greek Dictionary, p. 9, #165 aion, age, course, eternal, ever, evermore, without end.

BUT, notice this from Strong's SAME Greek dictionary:

Strong's Greek Dictionary, p. 78, #5550 chronos, a space of time (in general, and thus properly distinguished from 2540, which designates a FIXED OR SPECIAL OCCASION; and from 165 [AION], which denotes a PARTICULAR PERIOD OR INTERVAL..."

There it is: Aion, a PARTICULAR PERIOD OR INTERVAL!!! This definition is correct, as is his first definition, "Aion, an AGE"!!!

Here then is absolute proof from the Scriptures themselves that an aion is an AGE or a PARTICULAR PERIOD OR INTERVAL:

· There was time BEFORE the aions (I Cor. 2:7, "BEFORE the eons"). Therefore, NOT eternal .

· God MADE the aions (Heb. 1:2, "MAKES the eons"). Therefore, NOT eternal.

· There were aions in the PAST (Col. 1:26, "hid FROM eons"). Therefore, NOT eternal.

· This PRESENT age is called an aion (Gal. 1:4, "the PRESENT wicked eon"). Therefore, NOT eternal.

· This PRESENT age will come to an END (Mat. 24:3, "The END [or conclusion] of the eon"). Therefore, NOT eternal.

· There is coming another aion AFTER this present aion (Luke 18:30, "the eon TO COME"). Therefore, NOT eternal.

· There are, in fact, coming multiples or FUTURE AIONS (Eph. 2:7, "the ONCOMING AIONS). Therefore, NOT eternal.

· Some aions are even contrasted with OTHER AIONS (Eph. 3:21, "the eon OF the eons"). Therefore, NOT ETERNAL.

· All aions will come to all their ENDS (I Cor. 10:11, "the CONSUMMATIONS [plural] of the eons [plural]." Therefore, obviously not possible to be eternal!!

Now there is Scriptural proof. We don't need Webster's Dictionary and we don't need Strong's Lexicon. The Scriptural usage of the words "aion" "aions" and "aionios" prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Greek "aions" are NOT English "eternities."

This is not my or someone else's opinion, Ilyatur. THIS IS PROOF. You have just seen the PROOF in your own bible. You cannot continue teaching that God will torture most of humanity in some fabled hellhole of fire for all eternity, when God says that it is His will (and God will perform ALL of his will, desire, word, etc., etc., etc. "ALL MY DESIRE WILL I DO" Isa. 46:10--11) to save ALL MANKIND (I Tim. 2:4, ALL John 12:32, EVERY KNEE AND EVERY TONGUE Phil. 2:10-11, in Christ shall ALL BE VIVIFIED ( Cor. 15:22, ALL MANKIND Rom. 5z:19, a ransom for ALL to be testified in DUE TIME I Tim. 2:5-6, yet he SHALL BE SAVED yet thus, as through FIRE I Cor. 3:15, God Who is the Saviour of ALL MANKIND I Tim. 4:11, the WORLD may be saved through Him John 3:17,

And HE is the propitiation for our sins; and not for our sins only, but also for the SINS OF THE WHOLE WORLD I John 2:2, conciliating THE WORLD to Himself, NOT reckoning their offenses to them II Cor. 5:18-19, God, Who is the SAVIOR OF ALL MEN I Tim. 4:10, etc., etc., etc., etc.

"THESE THINGS COMMAND AND TEACH" (II Tim. 4:11). You don't ACTUALLY command and teach that God is the "SAVIOUR OF ALL MEN" do you, Ilyatur? No, of course you don't. You don't even BELIEVE these verses I just quoted, so how could you teach them.

Sincerely in the name of Jesus Christ, THE SAVIOUR OF THE WHOLE WORLD!

Patrick

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Zakath said:
There's this wonderful invention you could try, Frankie... it's called a dictionary.
:darwinsm: Dictionaries are sometimes useful. However, in the case of those afflicted with the Humpty Dumpty Syndrome, one needs a :liberals: lexicon to determine the latest arbitrary flavoring when connotation becomes dubious.

For an example, the word "murder" used to mean criminal homicide. In the last couple of weeks, it has come to mean "death with dignity." If you can fathom the subtle nuance behind that, you can contribute to my lexicon. I would be most grateful. :thumb: One could, perhaps, even apply the phrase "cognitive dissonance" to that peculiar shade of gray.

Holly

Frank Ernest said:
No, it's been a pretty well-known concept in the social sciences since it was coined by Leo Festinger in the 1950's. But don't worry, at this rate you should catch up with the "latest linguistic contortions" of the mid-twentieth century.....oh, be maysome time around the year 2056! :alien:

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
Holly said:
No, it's been a pretty well-known concept in the social sciences since it was coined by Leo Festinger in the 1950's. But don't worry, at this rate you should catch up with the "latest linguistic contortions" of the mid-twentieth century.....oh, be maysome time around the year 2056! :alien:

and maybe you will "get" his fairly clever joke, around the same time. ;)
Although I thought his joke in post 65 was much better, LOL, and I did give him some rep points, for that one. :chuckle: