Presidents Obama & Geo. W. Bush break with tradition

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Was he supposed to staff his cabinet with bus boys from one of his restaurants?

Of course not:
trump-drain-swamp-721.jpg

fool

Hall of Fame
So, your statement that;
Barbarian, earlier:
Bush took him to the woodshed over his lie about previous presidents not calling the families of fallen soldiers.

QUOTE said:
A confusion. A former Bush staffer took Trump to the woodshed over his lies about former presidents,
What lies?
A cite to the lies?

If you'd occasionally admit to being wrong, you'd be more credible.
I like to check my sources before I open my yap. If you did that you'd be more credible.
Or you can preface something with IIRC to show that you're paraphrasing or going off memory.

fool

Hall of Fame
Why don't you tackle my post to you instead of my post to Rusha?

Because your post presented no claimed facts outside of;
rexlunae said:
71, I believe. 70 during the election.
Yes, 70 during the election, 69 when he announced. He was born on June 14th 1946 and announced on June 16th 2015;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump#Campaign_rhetoric
https://www.c-span.org/video/?326473-1/donald-trump-presidential-campaign-announcement
two days after his 69th birthday.
Which is what I meant when I said;
fool said:
A 69 year old New York Billionaire rides the gold escalator down to the lobby of the gold plated sky scraper with his name on the front and announces and people are pointing and laughing.

Because he's from the wrong class.

They're not laughing anymore.

You did manage to ask a question in the midst of all the declaration;
rexlunae said:
Are you listing that as a pro, or a con. Because you just got done singing the virtues of being a political neophyte, and now you seem to be complaining about a relatively short Senate career. In fact, I seem to recall you being pretty opposed to someone so inexperienced being elected President. So which is it?
A 45 year old two year Senator is (literally) decades behind a 69 year old real estate billionaire in experience.
I also don't like Legislators. The Presidency is an executive position. I prefer Governors that have run something larger than their own campaign staff.
Trump Organization employs 22,450 people
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trump_Organization
That's bigger than the state government of four states.
Rhode Island ; 21,981 North Dakota; 20,404 South Dakota; 19,318 Vermont; 14,680
http://www.governing.com/gov-data/p...ent-workers-public-employees-by-job-type.html
So I'd rank Trump pre-Presidency as equal to a Governor in executive experience but then I multiply that times ten when I consider that unlike a Governor that is spending tax dollars he has to figure out how to pay that freight in the private sector.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
danzcolorplus8336.jpg

Was he supposed to staff his cabinet with bus boys from one of his restaurants?

The repeal and replacement of Obamacare was supposed to free up a $trillion for Tax Reform!

Tax reform is an euphemism for tax cuts to the wealthy, which means that it won't be revenue neutral!

Tax cuts will now be financed with borrowed money - adding to the debt is the last thing that America needs to "drain the swamp!"

Last edited:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
danzcolorplus8336.jpg

The repeal and replacement of Obamacare was supposed to free up a $trillion for Tax Redorm!

Tax reform is an euphemism for tax cuts to the wealthy, which means that it won't be revenue neutral!

Tax cuts will now be financed with borrowed money - adding to the debt is the last thing that America needs!
Tell that to Obama and the demonrats who doubled the debt spending 11 trillion. :idunno:

Artur Axmann

It's just part of the game.. It's just part of the way politics play out in the USA.

Both attacking former potus are pre empting what they will soon be facing.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
In North Louisiana, at least, they had learned to be very wary of humans in boats. Even when they were protected by law, that didn't mean much out on the bayous.

I only know the country up to Marksville and Alexandria. Them gators are tasty!

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
You eat gator burgers and gator steaks K?

I used to back in the 50s to 70s, but not since. As to the gun topic, if you have not killed at least piggy, how do you know you can shoot a person? Be surprised how many can't and they lose their gun.

rexlunae

Tell that to Obama and the demonrats who doubled the debt spending 11 trillion. :idunno:

When Obama took office, we were running something like a 1.5 trillion dollars deficit. When he left, it was less than a third of that. No modern president has eliminated the deficit entirely except Clinton, but Republicans consistently raise the deficit by passing tax cuts for the wealthy without paying for them.

Democrats are the real deficit hawks.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
When Obama took office, we were running something like a 1.5 trillion dollars deficit. When he left, it was less than a third of that. No modern president has eliminated the deficit entirely except Clinton, but Republicans consistently raise the deficit by passing tax cuts for the wealthy without paying for them.

Democrats are the real deficit hawks.
Demonrats doubled the debt - the deficit means nothing

http://canadafreepress.com/article/dont-be-fooled-so-called-shrinking-deficit-means-nothing

rexlunae

Did you flunk first-grade math, Pat? You can't reduce the debt without turning the deficit into a surplus, and the higher the deficit, the faster the debt grows? So, no, deficits do matter, and only by reducing and ultimately eliminating the deficit can you make progress paying down the debt. Republicans have consistently raised the deficit with unfunded tax cuts and unfunded wars.

It's true that it's questionable whether you can blame the entire $1.5 trillion deficit Obama inherited on GW Bush, since a large part of that was a result of the recession and the stimulus that was used to respond to it. But even if you take 2008 out of the picture, Bush increased the deficit by hundreds of billions of dollars from the modest surplus the Clinton years left him, leaving that much less capacity for the nation to respond to the financial crisis.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Did you flunk first-grade math, Pat? You can't reduce the debt without turning the deficit into a surplus, and the higher the deficit, the faster the debt grows? So, no, deficits do matter, and only by reducing and ultimately eliminating the deficit can you make progress paying down the debt. Republicans have consistently raised the deficit with unfunded tax cuts and unfunded wars.

It's true that it's questionable whether you can blame the entire $1.5 trillion deficit Obama inherited on GW Bush, since a large part of that was a result of the recession and the stimulus that was used to respond to it. But even if you take 2008 out of the picture, Bush increased the deficit by hundreds of billions of dollars from the modest surplus the Clinton years left him, leaving that much less capacity for the nation to respond to the financial crisis.
Whereas the demonrats' wars were funded? Oh wait, all wars are Republican wars, I get it. Tax cuts too, all Republican. The demonrats expenditures are always funded. BTW, kinda hard to reduce the debt with deficit control when you DOUBLE the DEBT to the tune of 11 trillion. Show me conclusive evidence that Republicans are growing the deficit. Did you flunk your Home Ec class in high school? :rotfl:

rexlunae

Whereas the demonrats' wars were funded? Oh wait, all wars are Republican wars, I get it.

They're American wars, not ones belonging to either party. Still, it matters who gets us into them. And the fact of the matter is that Bush never called to raise taxes to pay for his war of choice in Iraq, nor did he try to harness the national unity of 9/11 to pay for the war in Afghanistan. In fact, he pushed for and won large tax cuts as he took the nation to war. Obama didn't start a whole lot of wars, but there were operations against Daesh and various other places, but all of that he did while also cutting the deficit. You know who was defending the DOD's funding levels? Republicans.

Tax cuts too, all Republican.

Mostly. Obama did some short-term stimulus cuts for the real working class, but if you look at what Bush did and what Trump wants to do, versus what Obama did and what Clinton did, yes, the Republicans are the party of huge tax cuts for the rich. In fact, Bush 41 was largely voted from office for passing a tax hike after promising not to.

The demonrats expenditures are always funded.

That's why I got my public option health plan. Oh, wait, that one wasn't funded. Welfare? Free college? Nope and nope.

BTW, kinda hard to reduce the debt with deficit control when you DOUBLE the DEBT to the tune of 11 trillion.

Well, Obama never got the deficit to become a surplus. I guarantee Trump won't either, if he gets his tax cuts through. But the relationship between the debt and the deficit is as simple as addition and subtraction, so really only the deficit/surplus can make any change to the debt.

Show me conclusive evidence that Republicans are growing the deficit. Did you flunk your Home Ec class in high school? :rotfl:

We'd have to go back to the GW Bush admin for concrete numbers. The FY2018 has only started at the beginning of this month. But GW Bush nearly doubled the debt.

This is a little bit old, but still relevant:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...onal-debt-in-7-charts/?utm_term=.4e971565753d

At the end of the day, no president is fully responsible for the debt or the deficit during their time in office. Congress has at least as much say over government spending and policy. Even GW Bush could argue that the wars he launched and things like Medicare part D we're more important than finding revenue to pay for them. And likewise, both Bush and Obama should be given credit for the fact that they both had to respond to a financial crisis that was well out of their control. The only real way to understand, and unfortunately it requires more nuance than an Internet debate typically allows, is to look at specific policies and how they changed the deficit over time. Obama would have liked to raise taxes, and would have liked to let all of Bush tax cuts expire, but Congress wouldn't do it because Republicans opposed it. It would have been better if he had. But it's still better than the situation handed to him in 2009.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
What lies?
A cite to the lies?

President Trump falsely asserted on Monday that his predecessor, Barack Obama, and other presidents did not contact the families of American troops killed in duty, drawing a swift, angry rebuke from several of Mr. Obama’s former aides.

Mr. Trump was responding to a question about why he had not spoken publicly about the killing of four Green Berets in an ambush in Niger two weeks ago when he made the assertion. Rather than answering the question, Mr. Trump said he had written personal letters to their families and planned to call them in the coming week. Then he pivoted to his predecessors.

“If you look at President Obama and other presidents, most of them didn’t make calls,” Mr. Trump said during a news conference in the Rose Garden with the Senate majority leader, Mitch McConnell. “A lot of them didn’t make calls. I like to call when it’s appropriate.”

Mr. Trump’s assertion belied a long record of meetings Mr. Obama held with the families of killed service people, as well as calls and letters, dating to the earliest days of his presidency. Before he decided to deploy 30,000 troops to Afghanistan, Mr. Obama traveled to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware to greet the coffins of troops.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/16/us/politics/trump-obama-killed-soldiers.html

You really didn't know that those were lies? Seriously?

(Barbarian suggests it might improve one's credibility if one acknowledged being wrong, every now and then)

I like to check my sources before I open my yap.

Would have been a good thing for you to do this time, for example.

Gary K

Banned
I see people asking what the "swamp" is. Well, I'm going to show you some evidence it exists, but most likely it will be scoffed at and ignored.

A financial analyst, Catherine Austin Fitts, a university professor, a Dr. Skidmore, and his graduate students have gone through all financial documents detailing spending in the DOD starting in 1998 and ending in 2013, They have documented more than $20 trillion in what they call undocumented adjustments. It's a polite way to say financial fraud. It's more money than the DOD budgeted for in that time period. In other words, it's being run as a criminal enterprise. HUD is involved too. It has also laundered, misappropriated, stolen, massive amounts of funds.

This is only two government agencies. How much has disappeared by fraud through the rest no one has any idea.

Do some research on Catherine Austin Fitts. She once worked as a contractor for HUD. She came up with a legal way to save taxpayers billions of dollars in disposing of repossessed properties that HUD was for all intents and purposes just giving away to the friends of the heads of HUD. After she told her bosses about her ideas the DOJ filed criminal charges against her, but they never provided anything other than vague claims. They bankrupted her company with legal fees, and then dropped the charges after they had run her out of business and destroyed her credibility with legal charges.

The following link is an interview with Catherine Austin Fitts. It's about a half hour long, but is definitely worth the time to watch. It's an education on what is really going on.

http://investmentwatchblog.com/cath...e-globalists-want-to-destroy-us-constitution/

This is only a portion of what the swamp has done. Our government has been run as a criminal conspiracy for a long time. That's why you see the hatred coming from both career Democrats and Republicans. They are both in on this. They are all profiting from it. The information is available. All you need to do is start researching rather than listening to what the media tells you on a daily basis.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned

united-states-gdp.png

Obama inherited an economy that was teetering on a fiscal meltdown, the worst since 1929!

Trump inherited an economy that has been steadily growing since 2010!

It makes no fiscal sense for the Republicans to finance $1.5 trillion in tax cuts that with borrowed money when the economy is already registering record highs - that's what helped create the 2008 Recession in the first place!

I suspect that there are still a few traditional conservative Republicans in the House and Senate that will refuse to support a "tax reform" bill that finances $1.5 trillion in tax cuts with borrowed money!

Last edited: