Philosophy and Theology. Life Purpose. Meaning. Morality. Destiny.

Aimiel

I read the book by Douglas Adams after watching the TV series on public TV. "Don't panic!" and a huge hand with a thumb sticking out is printed on the cover.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The TV series, even with cheap props, poor acting and worse directing was FAR better than the movie.

Brilliantly funny T.V. series. A total 80s classic and the books were even funnier!

You're totally right about it being far funnier than the movie. The movie was so bad it made me angry.

I forget the exact plot line but I seem to remember that the transdimentional beings, who take on the form of mice, decided arbitrarily to say that "42" was the answer to the question, "How many roads must a man walk down."

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Brilliantly funny T.V. series. A total 80s classic and the books were even funnier!

You're totally right about it being far funnier than the movie. The movie was so bad it made me angry.

I forget the exact plot line but I seem to remember that the transdimentional beings, who take on the form of mice, decided arbitrarily to say that "42" was the answer to the question, "How many roads must a man walk down."

i watched it a bit, before I had read the books - Dr Who was popular back then too - the Tom Baker Dr Who - never really connected with the series (HGTTG) - loved the book when i read it later

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
i watched it a bit, before I had read the books - Dr Who was popular back then too - the Tom Baker Dr Who - never really connected with the series (HGTTG) - loved the book when i read it later
Doctor Who is still running.

But they (IMHO) ruined it by having him regenerate into a woman. So yeah...

The LGBT culture has invaded one of my favorite shows.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
watched the remake of blade runner last night/this morning - the 2017 version - slow in parts and very atmospheric, it's still a good watch :thumb:

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
As for life's meaning, I think it can be boiled down to four words, "Not I but Christ."

Galatians 2: 20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.​

“The Proper Attitude of Man Under Grace:

“To believe, and to consent to be loved while unworthy, is the great secret.
“To refuse to make ‘resolutions’ and ‘vows’; for that is to trust in the flesh.
“To expect to be blessed, though realizing more and more lack of worth…
“To rely on God’s chastening [child training] hand as a mark of His kindness…

“Things Which Gracious Souls Discover:

“To ‘hope to be better’ [hence acceptable] is to fail to see yourself in Christ only.
“To be disappointed with yourself, is to have believed in yourself.
“To be discouraged is unbelief,—as to God’s purpose and plan of blessing for you.
“To be proud, is to be blind! For we have no standing before God, in ourselves.
“The lack of Divine blessing, therefore, comes from unbelief, and not from failure of devotion…
“To preach devotion first, and blessing second, is to reverse God’s order, and preach law, not grace. The Law made man’s blessing depend on devotion; Grace confers undeserved, unconditional blessing: our devotion may follow, but does not always do so,—in proper measure.” - Romans: Verse by Verse by Wm. R. Newell
I agree. If the Lord Jesus Christ is as the Church believes and teaches the King of the universe, then that dictates everything else about the meaning of life; it is all in the context of Him being the King of the universe.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
The answer to 'the question about life, the universe and everything' which was a long-standing joke on the TV show: "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." The people on the cerebral planet where deep thought was the object of every citizen built a huge super-computer they named: "Deep Thought," to give them the answer. It announce that it would take some time to arrive at the answer. Something like 25,000 years later it answered: "42." They asked 42?!? What's that? Deep Thought answered, "That's the answer you asked for, about life, the universe and everything." They then asked, "What's the question?" Deep Thought replied: "That will take some time." A pair of pan-dimensional mice then commissioned the Earth to be built in order to discern what 'The Question,' would be. When the Vogons demolished earth to build a hyper-space bypass there were only two earthlings left, which were the subjects of the TV series.
It's the angle in degrees that causes rainbows. God invented rainbows in Genesis 9:12-17 KJV.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Doctor Who is still running.

But they (IMHO) ruined it by having him regenerate into a woman. So yeah...

The LGBT culture has invaded one of my favorite shows.

I stopped watching Dr. Who shortly after David Tennant's stint as the Dr. It got to where I couldn't make it through an episode without wanting to throw up. It's just a total fag fest now.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I agree. If the Lord Jesus Christ is as the Church believes and teaches the King of the universe, then that dictates everything else about the meaning of life; it is all in the context of Him being the King of the universe.

Right, well not just that though. He was King long before Paul's ministry and the Gospel of Grace came along. If we were still under the law my post would have read a lot differently.