Philosophy and Theology. Life Purpose. Meaning. Morality. Destiny.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
What is your life purpose (if it can be defined)? What are the effects of meaning, morality, and destiny upon your life? How do you find answers to life's questions? Are you grounded in the Word of God, Scripture, the Bible? Have you discarded Philosophy or do you think that it is a good idea?

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
What is your life purpose (if it can be defined)? What are the effects of meaning, morality, and destiny upon your life? How do you find answers to life's questions? Are you grounded in the Word of God, Scripture, the Bible? Have you discarded Philosophy or do you think that it is a good idea?
Theology is the "queen" of the sciences.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Reject philosophy? How could any of these questions be answered if one rejects philosophy?

Philosophy cannot be rejected. That would be like trying to stop thinking which would be to stop being. You cannot do it. Cogito Ergo Sum

Not only that but if you were to try to reject philosophy, you'd be trying to practice a philosophy. If you think it is a good idea to reject philosophy, that is a philosophy.

Any thought in your head about rejecting philosophy is an attempt to reject your own mind along with the basis for any motive to do so. It's the most self-contradictory, self-defeating thing imaginable.

Christianity and the Christian worldview is a philosophy and is, in fact, the only true philosophy. Theology is the logos of the theos, the study of God and is simply a branch or a type of philosophy. As such, Christian theology is Christian philosophy.

Clete

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Reject philosophy? How could any of these questions be answered if one rejects philosophy?

Philosophy cannot be rejected. That would be like trying to stop thinking which would be to stop being. You cannot do it. Cogito Ergo Sum

Not only that but if you were to try to reject philosophy, you'd be trying to practice a philosophy. If you think it is a good idea to reject philosophy, that is a philosophy.

Any thought in your head about rejecting philosophy is an attempt to reject your own mind along with the basis for any motive to do so. It's the most self-contradictory, self-defeating thing imaginable.

Christianity and the Christian worldview is a philosophy and is, in fact, the only true philosophy. Theology is the logos of the theos, the study of God and is simply a branch or a type of philosophy. As such, Christian theology is Christian philosophy.

Clete

Thank you Clete. I can see your thinking here. I like it. I studied Philosophy in Community College. I had grown up in the church studying the Bible.

Colossians 2:8 NASB - See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.

bibleverse2

Jacob said in post #1:

Life Purpose.

Mark 13:34 For the Son of man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the porter to watch.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Thank you Clete. I can see your thinking here. I like it. I studied Philosophy in Community College. I had grown up in the church studying the Bible.

Colossians 2:8 NASB - See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.

As for life's meaning, I think it can be boiled down to four words, "Not I but Christ."

Galatians 2: 20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.​

“The Proper Attitude of Man Under Grace:

“To believe, and to consent to be loved while unworthy, is the great secret.
“To refuse to make ‘resolutions’ and ‘vows’; for that is to trust in the flesh.
“To expect to be blessed, though realizing more and more lack of worth…
“To rely on God’s chastening [child training] hand as a mark of His kindness…

“Things Which Gracious Souls Discover:

“To ‘hope to be better’ [hence acceptable] is to fail to see yourself in Christ only.
“To be disappointed with yourself, is to have believed in yourself.
“To be discouraged is unbelief,—as to God’s purpose and plan of blessing for you.
“To be proud, is to be blind! For we have no standing before God, in ourselves.
“The lack of Divine blessing, therefore, comes from unbelief, and not from failure of devotion…
“To preach devotion first, and blessing second, is to reverse God’s order, and preach law, not grace. The Law made man’s blessing depend on devotion; Grace confers undeserved, unconditional blessing: our devotion may follow, but does not always do so,—in proper measure.” - Romans: Verse by Verse by Wm. R. Newell

Aimiel

I believe that the purpose of life is The Testimony of Jesus which is: The Spirit of Prophecy. We are to covet to prophesy. To prophesy is to answer life's highest calling (IMHO) and the way one reaches this conclusion is a matter of personal philosophy and theology and we share our thoughts and feelings with others through our theology and philosophy but The Kingdom of Heaven is shared best through prophecy. :thumb:

:aimiel:

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I believe that the purpose of life is The Testimony of Jesus which is: The Spirit of Prophecy. We are to covet to prophesy. To prophesy is to answer life's highest calling (IMHO) and the way one reaches this conclusion is a matter of personal philosophy and theology and we share our thoughts and feelings with others through our theology and philosophy but The Kingdom of Heaven is shared best through prophecy. :thumb:

:aimiel:

Sounds good.

Aimiel

The answer to what? What is the question?
The answer to 'the question about life, the universe and everything' which was a long-standing joke on the TV show: "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." The people on the cerebral planet where deep thought was the object of every citizen built a huge super-computer they named: "Deep Thought," to give them the answer. It announce that it would take some time to arrive at the answer. Something like 25,000 years later it answered: "42." They asked 42?!? What's that? Deep Thought answered, "That's the answer you asked for, about life, the universe and everything." They then asked, "What's the question?" Deep Thought replied: "That will take some time." A pair of pan-dimensional mice then commissioned the Earth to be built in order to discern what 'The Question,' would be. When the Vogons demolished earth to build a hyper-space bypass there were only two earthlings left, which were the subjects of the TV series.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The answer to 'the question about life, the universe and everything' which was a long-standing joke on the TV show: "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." The people on the cerebral planet where deep thought was the object of every citizen built a huge super-computer they named: "Deep Thought," to give them the answer. It announce that it would take some time to arrive at the answer. Something like 25,000 years later it answered: "42." They asked 42?!? What's that? Deep Thought answered, "That's the answer you asked for, about life, the universe and everything." They then asked, "What's the question?" Deep Thought replied: "That will take some time." A pair of pan-dimensional mice then commissioned the Earth to be built in order to discern what 'The Question,' would be. When the Vogons demolished earth to build a hyper-space bypass there were only two earthlings left, which were the subjects of the TV series.

Oh. Okay. Interesting.

Well, you possess the knowledge of this.

Aimiel

The TV series, even with cheap props, poor acting and worse directing was FAR better than the movie.