Peaceful reunification

marke

"What a wonderful idea! How sweet and sound! No more war, just peace!"

Imagine King George III saying in 1777, "All I want is the peaceful reunification of England and its American colonies." Or Saddam Hussein, "I just want the peaceful reunification of Iraq and Kuwait." How about Mahmoud Abbas saying, "I am pushing for the peaceful reunification between the Israeli squatters and the Palestinians who own the land of Palestine, not the Jews."

China wants to re-enslave the people of Taiwan who successfully broke away from the mainline communist nation of China, forming the independent Republic of Taiwan (Republic of China- Taiwan) after WW2. China wants Taiwan like ISIS wanted Afghanistan and leftists around the world think Taiwan should give up its freedom and allow the communists to come in and take over, which is stupid. Rational Americans oppose China's aggression, but many American leftists and democrats do not oppose turning Taiwan over to its communist enemies.

BEIJING, Oct 9 (Reuters) - Chinese President Xi Jinping vowed on Saturday to achieve "peaceful reunification" with Taiwan, and did not directly mention the use of force after a week of tensions with the Chinese-claimed island that sparked international concern.

Taiwan responded to Xi by calling on Beijing to abandon its coercion, reiterating that only Taiwan's people could decide their future.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
... many American leftists and democrats do not oppose turning Taiwan over to its communist enemies.
Right here on TOL I was astonished to find that included annabananahead, and less astonished to find that included Eric h.

Gary K

Banned
Right here on TOL I was astonished to find that included annabananahead, and less astonished to find that included Eric h.
Why? These people have been making it very clear for the few years I've been here that individuals have no place in their ideology. The only thing important to them is government power. So, the Taiwanese people are inconsequential to them. That's just basic marxism 101.

marke

You might want to brush up on your history.
Really? Who owns Taiwan? Mongrel hordes? The Dutch? The Ming Dynasty? The Qing Dynasty? Hakka Chinese immigrants? The Japanese? The KMT? The mainland communist Chinese who lost control of Taiwan after WW2?

I support the ROC government the mainland communist Chinese government is seeking to illegitimately overthrow.

The history of the island of Taiwan dates back tens of thousands of years to the earliest known evidence of human habitation.[1][2] The sudden appearance of a culture based on agriculture around 3000 BC is believed to reflect the arrival of the ancestors of today's Taiwanese indigenous peoples.[3] The island was colonized by the Dutch in the 17th century, followed by an influx of Hoklo people including Hakka immigrants from the Fujian and Guangdong areas of mainland China, across the Taiwan Strait. The Spanish built a settlement in the north for a brief period but were driven out by the Dutch in 1642.

In 1662, Koxinga, a loyalist of the Ming dynasty who had lost control of mainland China in 1644, defeated the Dutch and established a base of operations on the island. His forces were defeated by the Qing dynasty in 1683, and parts of Taiwan became increasingly integrated into the Qing empire. Following the First Sino-Japanese War in 1895, the Qing ceded the island, along with Penghu, to the Empire of Japan. Taiwan produced rice and sugar to be exported to the Empire of Japan, and also served as a base for the Japanese invasion of Southeast Asia and the Pacific during World War II. Japanese imperial education was implemented in Taiwan and many Taiwanese also fought for Japan during the war.

In 1945, following the end of World War II, the nationalist government of the Republic of China (ROC), led by the Kuomintang (KMT), took control of Taiwan. In 1949, after losing control of mainland China in the Chinese Civil War, the ROC government under the KMT withdrew to Taiwan and Chiang Kai-shek declared martial law. The KMT ruled Taiwan (along with the Islands of Kinmen, Wuqiu and the Matsu on the opposite side of the Taiwan Strait) as a single-party state for forty years, until democratic reforms in the 1980s, which led to the first-ever direct presidential election in 1996. During the post-war period, Taiwan experienced rapid industrialization and economic growth known as the "Taiwan Miracle", and was known as one of the "Four Asian Tigers".

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
How old was Hitler in 1939?

How old was Chiang Kai-shek in 1927?

How old was Hirohito in 1931?

Made you go look stuff up, didn't I, old man?

You evangelicals, looking for a war that will bring your apocalypse.

Or, as Laurence M. Vance, who I ordinarily wouldn't agree with on much put it (I came across his essay when looking up the quote I remembered but wanted to make sure I got right, but it turns out there are several versions):

Uber-patriots, neocons, armchair warriors, just war theorists, progressive hawks, reich-wing nationalists, red-state fascists, pro-lifers for mass murder, and bloodthirsty conservatives... Christian Coalition moralists, Old Testament Christians, evangelical warvangelicals, theocon Values Voters, imperial Christians, nuclear Christians, Religious Right warmongers, God and country Christian bumpkins, sniper theologians, and members of the Christian axis of evil

You want to send Americans to die, you want to cause the collateral deaths of countless women and children, you want to spend trillions, you want to cause more misery and more destruction and possibly even nuclear war, and for what? To bring democracy to China the way we did in Iraq? Vietnam? Afghanistan? No. To bring about the apocalypse. You don't care about the infidels. You only care about the believers.

ok doser

Or, as Laurence M. Vance, who I ordinarily wouldn't agree with on much put it (I came across his essay when looking up the quote I remembered but wanted to make sure I got right, but it turns out there are several versions):

Uber-patriots, neocons, armchair warriors, just war theorists, progressive hawks, reich-wing nationalists, red-state fascists, pro-lifers for mass murder, and bloodthirsty conservatives... Christian Coalition moralists, Old Testament Christians, evangelical warvangelicals, theocon Values Voters, imperial Christians, nuclear Christians, Religious Right warmongers, God and country Christian bumpkins, sniper theologians, and members of the Christian axis of evil

You want to send Americans to die, you want to cause the collateral deaths of countless women and children, you want to spend trillions, you want to cause more misery and more destruction and possibly even nuclear war, and for what? To bring democracy to China the way we did in Iraq? Vietnam? Afghanistan? No. To bring about the apocalypse. You don't care about the infidels. You only care about the believers.
In other words you don't know and you don't care that your statement is foolish.

Of course.

We expect little else from you lately, you silly little bananahead

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
In other words you don't know and you don't care that your statement is foolish.

Of course.

We expect little else from you lately, you silly little bananahead

It's not my statement, it's Albert Einstein's. So much for you trying to score your stupid little points.

You know I'm right, and that's all you had.

Last edited:

marke

Vance is full of opinions but his opinions are not derived from a proper understanding of God and the Bible and do not properly express the necessities for war.

marke

It's not my statement, it's Albert Einsteins. So much for you trying to score your stupid little points.

You know I'm right, and that's all you had.
Did Einstein understand the will of God in human civilization? He was not a theologian, was he? Are we to assume he was an expert on matters of foreign policy and the methods necessary to the maintenance of world peace?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
'Old men start wars, but young men have to fight them.'

To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven:
A time to be born, And a time to die; A time to plant, And a time to pluck what is planted;
A time to kill, And a time to heal; A time to break down, And a time to build up;
A time to weep, And a time to laugh; A time to mourn, And a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, And a time to gather stones; A time to embrace, And a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to gain, And a time to lose; A time to keep, And a time to throw away;
A time to tear, And a time to sew; A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;
A time to love, And a time to hate; A time of war, And a time of peace. - Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ecclesiastes3:1-8&version=NKJV

ok doser

To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven:
A time to be born, And a time to die; A time to plant, And a time to pluck what is planted;
A time to kill, And a time to heal; A time to break down, And a time to build up;
A time to weep, And a time to laugh; A time to mourn, And a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, And a time to gather stones; A time to embrace, And a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to gain, And a time to lose; A time to keep, And a time to throw away;
A time to tear, And a time to sew; A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;
A time to love, And a time to hate; A time of war, And a time of peace. - Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ecclesiastes3:1-8&version=NKJV
How old was Solomon's father when he conquered Jerusalem?