PBS station cancels intelligent-design film

C

cattyfan

He didn't give you the reason the show has been canceled.

correct. He also didn't refute the fact that their programming consistantly shows an anti-Christian viewpoint.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by PureX

I haven't seen the program, so I don't know. What I do know is that the scientific community has overwhelmingly rejected creationism and the "intelligent design" theory as invalid. I also know that the only people pushing these beliefs and theories are literalist Christians. So it stands to reason that this program is yet another disengenuous attempt by these literalist Christians to mask their religious beliefs as valid science when they are not.

If the program is based on a scientific perspective and presented that way, it is not promoting religion. Also, it isn't up to PBS to decide which scientific theories are valid and which ones aren't. There are plenty of cantradictory scientific theories about practically every field of science imaginable. Are you comfortable allowing PBS to air only the theories they concur with and ignore all others? I wonder how many programs PBS has aired which perpetuates the myth of Global Warming?

PBS can and will air programs that are about this debate. I have seen such programs on PBS myself. But they will not air programs that promote only the religious view, or attempt to discredit the scientific view. That would be prostletizing and they aren't allowed to do that.

Do they air programs that only promote the evolutionary point of view? I wonder if PBS would have refused Galileo an hour of programing to explain why the Earth is spherical, knowing that it wasn't the dominate scientific theory at the time.

PureX

Originally posted by cattyfan

FYI, I received the following response to the e-mail I sent:

TAG are the initials of the gentleman to whom I sent my note, Ted Garcia. He is the General Manager and CEO of the Albuquerque station.
One of the reasons that I enjoy PBS programs is that they DO deal with religious and ethical debates, and similar concepts that none of the regular TV networks will even consider airing. But there's no reason that PBS should air religious propaganda. There are already plenty of religious stations out there doing that.

This is an asside, but both of the PBS stations I get here in Chicago do air religious programming at certain times. I don't mean programs about religion, I mean Christian religious programs. So I'm not even sure that the promotion of religion is against they bylaws. I wonder if they refused to show that program simply because it's dishonest.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by cattyfan

correct. He also didn't refute the fact that their programming consistantly shows an anti-Christian viewpoint.

I'm surprised he even took the time to respond to you. It looks like his main motivation was to direct your future inquiries to Ms. Rebecchi. :down:

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
:think:

From PBS Programing.

Women of Islam: Veiling and Seclusion

Sunday, January 9 at 11:30 p.m.

The mainstream media would have us believe that the veil is always an imposition, an oppressive requirement of Islam. Filmmaker Farheen Umar travels across the Muslim World to find out why some Muslim women take the veil while others don't. This film reveals what no other work on this subject has done before. It looks at the practice of covering from diverse perspectives in different Muslim societies.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
:think:

From PBS Programing.

Jim Crow’s Museum

Sunday, January 9 at 12:30 a.m.

This is a fast paced video tour through the continuum of anti-black material items from the past and present. The tour includes everything from blatantly racist items produced by the Ku Klux Klan to commonly-owned figurines and lawn ornaments that are considered by many to be "Americana." Pictures, clocks, cartoons and Cream Of Wheat boxes are also featured - as are a number of contemporary items that demonstrate that this collection represents a continuing legacy and is not just a part of the "past" (as we may like to believe). Frequently enlightening and at times disturbing, this flow of images and commentary (provided by museum curator Dr. David Pilgrim) is designed to help create understanding of the causes and effects of racism.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
:down:

From PBS Programing.

Independent Lens: Afghanistan Unveiled

Sunday, January 9 at 10:30 p.m.

Filmed by the first-ever team of women video journalists trained in Afghanistan, this uncompromising film reveals the effects on Afghan women of the Taliban's repressive rule and of the U.S.-sponsored bombing campaign. Leaving Kabul for the first time and traveling to rural regions of the country, the filmmakers present footage of women whose lives have been devastated by recent events.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by granite1010

I'm sorry, we DIDN'T bomb out the Taliban?

Sure we did. But isn't it interesting that even though we have a coalition of 70 countries fighting the war on terrorism, the US is singled out in the 'Program'. More surprising, since it is supposed to be about Afghani women, is that the US is not credited for liberating these Afghani women who were oppressed by the Taliban. The US led coalition, by eliminating the Taliban's violent, male-centric regime, has allowed for Afghani women and girls the opportunity to get educated in a school for the first time in many years.

The 'Program' is an obvious hit peice targeted at the US and specifically George Bush. PBS is a commie network bent on spewing liberal propaganda.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BillyBob

Sure we did. But isn't it interesting that even though we have a coalition of 70 countries fighting the war on terrorism, the US is singled out in the 'Program'. More surprising, since it is supposed to be about Afghani women, is that the US is not credited for liberating these Afghani women who were oppressed by the Taliban. The US led coalition, by eliminating the Taliban's violent, male-centric regime, has allowed for Afghani women and girls the opportunity to get educated in a school for the first time in many years.

The 'Program' is an obvious hit peice targeted at the US and specifically George Bush. PBS is a commie network bent on spewing liberal propaganda.

Billy, get real. We were "singled out" probably because we a) led the attack, b) had more manpower devoted to it, and c) dropped the majority of the lead. I mean, gimme a break. I don't think that anybody would make the mistake of referring to it as the "Polish-led" attack on the Taliban, would you? We led the attack--no shame in that.

P.S. PBS deserves to die a slow and miserable death...

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by granite1010

Billy, get real. We were "singled out" probably because we a) led the attack, b) had more manpower devoted to it, and c) dropped the majority of the lead. I mean, gimme a break. I don't think that anybody would make the mistake of referring to it as the "Polish-led" attack on the Taliban, would you? We led the attack--no shame in that.

No, there is no shame that we led the attack. I don't know to what degree other countries were involved, but it was in fact a coalition effort. It makes a difference in this context. Again, I say that the US was not given credit for the liberation of millions of oppressed Afghani women. PBS has an agenda.

P.S. PBS deserves to die a slow and miserable death...

I would be happy if it PBS just dissapeared, never to be heard from again.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
And did you notice that the paragraph describing the Taliban uses the word repressive? The Taliban were violent and oppressive, 'repressive' deliberately waters down the reality of the Taliban's brutality.

PureX

Tonight on PBS:

8:00pm
Naked Planet: Everglades

9:00pm
Nova: Secret of the Crocodile Caves

10:00pm
Capturing the Killer Croc

... What subversive left-wing propoganda!!!

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
I didn't say that all their programing is wrapped around a political agenda, although it wouldn't surprise me if the Crocodile/Aligator programs take the enviro-wacko perspective.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Oh, and did I mention that the women in Afganistan now have the opportunity to vote in elections thanks to the US? The 'program' notes sure don't! :mad:

Gerald

Resident Fiend
I would be happy if it PBS just dissapeared, never to be heard from again.
Funny, I often say that about religion. :chuckle: :devil:

Lucky

Hall of Fame

Oh, and did I mention that the women in Afganistan now have the opportunity to vote in elections thanks to the US?
What? What other kind of horrible liberal ideas are we giving them? :D

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by aharvey

I don't know the program, but I do know ID. Are you saying that ID is religiously neutral? If so, by this are you referring to "organized, codified religion"? That is, if an idea says "there is a God," but does not say specifically that that God is the Judeo-Christian God, is that idea religiously neutral?

Hmm. Is it a program about intelligent design? Or a program about the supposed defects of, er, "standard evolutionary theory"? Or do you perhaps define intelligent design strictly in terms of the defects of evolutionary theory?

The first half is about how, when and where ID came into being. It introduces the Scientists who where involved. The second half is an amazing computer animation about the workings of the cell. Why not see if your school or local library has a copy.

Here is a preview of Unlocking the Mysteries of Life.

And another they did called
The Privileged Planet