PBS station cancels intelligent-design film

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The video Unlocking the Mysteries of Life has been discussed at great lengths here on TOL, now there is a story coming from WND that some PBS stations are refusing to air it.
TV outlet charged with practicing 'politically correct censorship'

By Ron Strom
© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

The PBS station in Albuquerque, N.M., has canceled a scheduled showing of a documentary on the theory of intelligent design, eliciting charges of "politically correct censorship."

New Mexico teacher Phil Robinson says he worked with staff at KNME-TV to arrange for the documentary, "Unlocking the Mystery of Life," to air on Friday night. Robinson discovered Monday that the show had been pulled and newspaper advertising for it had been canceled.

The station says the scheduling of the program was a mistake caused by a miscommunication related to the transition to a new program manager and that there was concern about the fact that those who funded the film have religious ties.

Seattle-based Discovery Institute's Center for Science and Culture hammered KNME for the cancellation.

"It is simply astounding that a public television station would engage in this sort of politically correct censorship," said Rob Crowther, director of communications for the organization, in a statement. "Public television usually prides itself in exploring new ideas, not suppressing them. Doesn't anyone at KNME believe in free speech?"

Joan Rebecchi is the marketing manager for KNME.

"It wasn't suppose to be scheduled in the first place," she told WND. "It was a scheduling mistake.

"We're in transition between two program managers, and they were repeating 'NOVA' in that timeslot. … There was confusion over the show title, and so that show was scheduled in [NOVA's] place. It was figured out last weekend that we had that scheduled and we weren't suppose to schedule it."

Rebecchi said Robinson contacted her about advertising for the show and that she helped him write a good ad for it, not realizing at the time the show was not suppose to have been scheduled.

"When I found out the show in fact wasn't going to air, I pulled the ads from the Albuquerque Journal because I didn't want him to lose any money," Rebecchi said. "We were able to pull them before he lost any money."

Rebecchi confirmed that a lot of Albuquerque residents are "very, very upset" that the station is not running it.

She said station personnel had concerns about the fact that those who funded the program "had some connection to a religious point of view."

Continued Rebecchi: "Our underwriting guidelines don't allow us to air programs that have a specific religious point of view," adding that PBS has to be "kind of biased" against programming with any religious connections.

"That's the reason they didn't want to schedule it in the first place," she told WND.

Crowther points out, however, that the film in question is currently for sale on PBS' national website and has aired in almost every top-20 media market in the country, including PBS stations in California, Colorado, Florida, Maryland, Michigan, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Washington state and Washington, D.C.

"The real losers here are New Mexico viewers who will be denied the chance to see a fascinating documentary that public television viewers in other states have already had the opportunity to see," Crowther added. "I guess if New Mexico viewers want to learn more about intelligent design, they will have to go the national PBS website."

"Unlocking the Mystery of Life" is a 58-minute program exploring what DNA reveals about the origin of life and documents how some scientists are skeptical about naturalistic explanations for the origin of genetic information and are looking to theories of design instead. According to the Discovery Institute, the documentary follows the development of intelligent design theory through interviews with key design scientists.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Continued Rebecchi: "Our underwriting guidelines don't allow us to air programs that have a specific religious point of view," adding that PBS has to be "kind of biased" against programming with any religious connections.

I'd like to know if PBS has ever aired a program about the Islamic 'point of view'.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by BillyBob

I'd like to know if PBS has ever aired a program about the Islamic 'point of view'.
Well the interesting thing about.... "Unlocking the Mysteries of Life" is it is not from a Christian point of view. It's religiously neutral.

It simply makes a strong against standard evolutionary theory.

Sozo

In the last month PBS ran a program called "Muslims" on PBS's show Frontline

The world's fastest growing religion, Muslims face distrust by outsiders, a situation exacerbated by the events of September 11. Frontline takes you into their veiled world, exploring Islam's religious, historical, and cultural roots in a report filmed in Egypt, Malaysia, Iran, Turkey, Nigeria, and the United States.

They also have a weekly program called Religion & Ethics NewsWeekly

PBS airs programs about different religious organizations on a regular basis.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Well, there's only one explanation. PBS is run by commies. [liberals]
LOL :D

Yea that's for sure.

I guess they are finally catching on that the show is pretty powerful because it was aired dozens of times on other PBS stations when it was first released.

Sozo

In response, I sent this letter to PBS...

Apparently your Marketing Manager (Joan Rebecchi) on PBS affiliate KNME is a bit confused about programming. In response to PBS's decision to not run a program (Unlocking the Mystery of Life), because she says it presents a Religious point of view (Which is entirely untrue) has spoken for PBS in this manner...

Rebecchi: "Our underwriting guidelines don't allow us to air programs that have a specific religious point of view," adding that PBS has to be "kind of biased" against programming with any religious connections."

I find this very disturbing, when in fact a great deal of the "Public" has "religious connections".

PureX

Sure, but it wasn't an Islamic religious point of view pretending to be science. The objection is to the dishonest pretense, not the religious content.

C

cattyfan

Originally posted by PureX

Sure, but it wasn't an Islamic religious point of view pretending to be science. The objection is to the dishonest pretense, not the religious content.

she didn't say anything about scientific content to a program. she only admitted to being biased against religious points of view.

The programming on PBS narrows the filed, making it clear they are only against Christian points of view.

As for your allegation, PureX, that it's somehow a "dishonest pretense" that makes the show unappealing for her...1.) that's not the reason she gave and 2.) just because a scientific point of view isn't completely devoid of God doesn't make it invalid. Not every scientist is willing to divorce themselves from the idea that something other than happy chance created the complex universe.

C

cattyfan

her contention that PBS avoids religion is negated by the PBS website.

Your search for "religion" returned about 18000 results

I don't know what she's watching, but they certainly don't appear to be avoiding the inclusion of religion on PBS.

Last edited:
C

cattyfan

I also sent a note to the station:

To Whom It May Concern,

I recently spotted an article regarding your station's decision not to run the program entitled Unlocking the Mystery of Life. With in the body of the article, your marketing manager, Joan Rebecchi, is quoted as saying, "Our underwriting guidelines don't allow us to air programs that have a specific religious point of view," adding that PBS has to be "kind of biased" against programming with any religious connections.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for her to better familiarize herself with the offerings of PBS. A simple search of the PBS website brought forth the following:

quote:
Your search for "religion" returned about 18000 results

Results 1 - 16 of 18000

Religion & Ethics NewsWeekly | PBS
Religion; Ethics NewsWeekly explores contemporary moral and spiritual issues and profiles people and groups across the spectrum of religion and ethics. ...

Evolution: Religion
... Click to return to the Evolution Home Page, darwin, change, extinction, survival, sex, humans, religion, library, teachers and students, buy the video, ...

NewsHour: Religion
... October 25, 2004 -- Religion and Politics Gwen Ifill discusses religion its place in politics with Joe Loconte, a research fellow in religion at the Heritage ...

The Congregation . Many Voices . Politics and Religion | PBS
Politics is a part of our culture. But should it be a part of our religious life? When we enter the door of our place of worship ...

In Search of Ancient Ireland . Religion | PBS
Home. Cartographer his Journey. Fortress Ireland. Religion. Culture and Commerce. Technology. About the Film. Resources. ... The circles were temples for a solar religion. ...

Global Connections . Timeline | PBS
... and also for safeguarding the civil and religious rights of all the inhabitants of Palestine, irrespective of race or religion (from the Balfour Declaration). ...

FRONTLINE: previous reports by category | PBS
... The events of Sept. 11 left many Americans questioning how such atrocities could be perpetrated in the name of religion: specifically, the religion of Islam. ...

Sahara : People - Religion
Religion, and in particular, Islam, is an integral part of Saharan existence. 99% of the Sahara its inhabitants are Muslims, so naturally ...

PBS Online: Hidden Korea/Religion
Religion, Order the Video! Religions of Korea: Republic of Korea. ... The Shilla Dynasty that unified Korea in 668 made it the official religion of the peninsula. ...

Hidden India . Religion | PBS Online
Religion, Order the Video! Statue of Ganesha*. Hinduism Its ... land. The earliest religion of Kerala was that of the Dravidian peoples. With ...

Colonial House . Behind the Scenes . Religion on the Colony | PBS
...my involvement as a consultant for COLONIAL HOUSE came about because of my dual vocation as a historian of American religion and a Christian minister. ...

Masterpiece Theatre | Othello | Essay: On Race and Religion
Essay: On Race and Religion Although the plots of Shakespeare his plays are specific, the motivations of the characters -- as well as of Shakespeare himself ...

PBS | Life & Culture | Spirituality & Religion
... Islam: Empire of Faith NOW With Bill Moyers 21st-Century Faith On Our Own Terms: Moyers on Dying POV The Smith Family Family Fundamentals Religion & Ethics ...

Global Connections . Religion | PBS
... Judaism. A brief history of Judaism. Judaism is the oldest surviving monotheistic religion, arising in the eastern Mediterranean in the second millennium BCE. ...

NOW with Bill Moyers. Quiz. Freedom of Religion | PBS
... Quiz. Freedom of Religion. Prayer in school. Prayer before high school football games. Religion on the campaign trail. What happened ...

Audio: Science and Religion in Dialogue?
Audio: Science and Religion in Dialogue? Francis Collins. Personal Views on Faith. Scientific Discovery and Theology. George Coyne. Can Science Tell Us About God? ...

Online NewsHour: Religion and Poltics- September 1, 1999
RELIGION AND POLITICS. ... Kwame Holman examines how Vice Presidential candidate Joe Lieberman has reopened the debate on the role of religion in politics. ...

My guess is what she really means, but was afraid to admit, was that PBS is reluctant to air anything with a positive view of Christianity, even though according to the U.S. Census Bureau, 85% of Americans (i.e. those who make up the "P" in "PBS") identify themselves as Christian.

Regards,

aharvey

Originally posted by Knight

Well the interesting thing about.... "Unlocking the Mysteries of Life" is it is not from a Christian point of view. It's religiously neutral.

I don't know the program, but I do know ID. Are you saying that ID is religiously neutral? If so, by this are you referring to "organized, codified religion"? That is, if an idea says "there is a God," but does not say specifically that that God is the Judeo-Christian God, is that idea religiously neutral?

Originally posted by Knight

It simply makes a strong what? against standard evolutionary theory.

Hmm. Is it a program about intelligent design? Or a program about the supposed defects of, er, "standard evolutionary theory"? Or do you perhaps define intelligent design strictly in terms of the defects of evolutionary theory?

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned

That may be, but that isn't what they said.

PureX

Originally posted by BillyBob That may be, but that isn't what they said.
Sure it is.
Programs ABOUT a religious point of view are not the same as a program expressing or promoting a religious point of view. PBS is not allowed to air programs that promote any religious point of view because that's basically prostletizing with public money, which they are not allowed to do.

The difference between the Frontline program about Islam is that it was ABOUT Islam, it was not promoting Islam. Obviously, the program in question is promoting a religious point of view on the origins and mysteries of life and PBS therefor can't show it.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned

Programs ABOUT a religious point of view are not the same as a program promoting a religious point of view. PBS is not allowed to air programs that promote any religious point of view because that's basically prostletizing with public money, which they are not allowed to do.

The difference between the Frontline program about Islam is that it was ABOUT Islam, it was not promoting Islam. Obviously, the program in question is promoting a religious point of view on the origins and mysteries of life and PBS therefor can't show it.

Knight said that the 'Program' doesn't cite any Biblical scripture. How then, can they be promoting a religion?

C

cattyfan

FYI, I received the following response to the e-mail I sent:

Good morning!

The quotes the author attributes to Ms. Rebecchi can, at best, be characterized as inaccurate.

Please feel free to contact Joan at jrebecchi@knme.org.

We regularly broadcast programs that deal with the many facets of religious belief, i.e. RELIGION & ETHICS, the QUESTION OF GOD, EVOLUTION, etc, as well as those themes that recur in NEWSHOUR, FRONTLINE, etc.

Thanks for your interest and for your comments.

TAG

TAG are the initials of the gentleman to whom I sent my note, Ted Garcia. He is the General Manager and CEO of the Albuquerque station.

PureX

Originally posted by BillyBob Knight said that the 'Program' doesn't cite any Biblical scripture. How then, can they be promoting a religion?
I haven't seen the program, so I don't know. What I do know is that the scientific community has overwhelmingly rejected creationism and the "intelligent design" theory as invalid. I also know that the only people pushing these beliefs and theories are literalist Christians. So it stands to reason that this program is yet another disengenuous attempt by these literalist Christians to mask their religious beliefs as valid science when they are not.

PBS can and will air programs that are about this debate. I have seen such programs on PBS myself. But they will not air programs that promote only the religious view, or attempt to discredit the scientific view. That would be prostletizing and they aren't allowed to do that.