Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
She did a great job playing Helen Keller. Melissa Gilbert was an embarrassment compared to Patty Duke's performance. (Of course I can't stand Melissa Gilbert.)

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Melissa Gilbert played 'half-pint' on some Micheal Landon show? Little House on a prairie, something like that? :idunno:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure, would have to see your page. No worries, most mods will change it for you.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have typoed sometimes in my OP title, and could not edit after I already submitted it.
I think only folks with specific admin privileges can change thread titles for obvious reasons, else the nefarious thread starter would be able to perform all manner of foolishness.

When I start a thread, something I do not do often, I always use the Preview option one last time to make sure everything looks good before submitting a new thread. I think a thread owner should do this just as they were instructed in school: "Check your work before submitting it!"

Along those lines, I am grateful said admins, already overworked of course, spend time changing the bizarre and terrible thread titles to comply with Knight's wishes made long ago:

Knight said:
http://web.archive.org/web/20060508021435/http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/announcement.php?f=9

How to title your new forum threads...
A note to all TOLers.

When you create a new thread please choose a title the accurately describes your thread.

At TOL we get far too many threads that are titled something like... "You gotta see this!" or... "check this out". And while that might get some immediate attention it does nothing for that threads search-ability on TOL or elsewhere (TOL threads do very well with the Google search engine)

For instance....

Recently I added a new thread titled: Apple Unveils Software to Run Windows XP

Which is much more specific and searchable than had I titled it: Cool announcement from Apple

Notice how my title was more specific to the actual content of the thread and how it will help the thread be differentiated from other threads that are about apple announcements.

In the end if we all attempt to title our new threads with a more specific content related title our thread will be easier to find on TOL and in the major search engines such as Google.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

I really dislike the juvenile attempts at threads entitled with teasers as if this was some sort of television channel full of the usual commercial teasers in hopes of grabbing eyeballs. The point of a good thread title is that it will attract folks really interested in the topic, reducing frustrations of others, and also aid the search engines, such as Google, who have software tools (called bots) that "crawl the site" (that is, create search indexes of the content) daily to deliver useful search results for others that may be attracted to TOL.

We should have a contest to identify threads with good titles such that they appear in the first 20 results of a normal Google search. Searching for named individuals would not be allowed, only topics. For the record, only two of my 46 started threads appear in the top twenty results. Sigh.

AMR

Last edited:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Hud: I have it made!

Mr Banner: To hear you tell it; you have all that charm and that makes the young folks want to be like you; that is the shame of it.

Hud: OK, I'll bite what do you have against me, not that I give a dam.

Mr Banner: That's it, all of it; you still don't get it? You don't care about people, you do not give a dam about them and that makes you unfit to live with.

Hud: my mother loved me, but she died.

All from memory! :cigar:

Danoh

She did a great job playing Helen Keller. Melissa Gilbert was an embarrassment compared to Patty Duke's performance. (Of course I can't stand Melissa Gilbert.)

I met Melissa once. An absolute angel of a person for a celebrity.

Danoh

Yes, I think I've seen all of the Paul Newman movies

Loved him in Hombre - one cool Apache.

Hud reminds me too much of my older brother, lol

Fast Eddie Felson (The Hustler); now there was one heck of an acting job.

Cool Hand Luke - cool indeed.

Great humanitarian. One of a kind human beings. They broke the mold with him, for sure.

Yeah, any movie with Paul and or his lovely, even more talented wife, Joanne, and or Patty Duke in it, is worth a watch.

"A glooming peace; this morning with it brings. The sun for sorrow; will not show its head..." - W. Shakespeare

To the memories then...

To Paul, to Joanne, to Patty...