Pastor Cook hung up on me. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
elected4ever said:
That is not the way it comes across at times. Sometimes it comes across as an exhaustively unsettled view which I think is equally as wrong as exhaustively settled view. :eek:
Hey... we agree! :D

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Just listened to the first caller, Lee. Pretty disturbing. Every bad thing that has happened to her is part of God's plan and she finds comfort in that. :vomit: Also, considering her final comments...

God's character does not change. Open theists wholeheartedly believe this. Will Calvinists ever be able to figure that out???

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
So God decreeing something is DIFFERENT than God causing somebody to do something.

Is this the correct teaching of Calvinists?

GuySmiley

I just finished listening to part a, I listened to part b Friday. Cook is either really ignorant or just a liar. He's misrepresents the OV in every sentence. He the king of destroying strawmen.

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Shimei said:
So God decreeing something is DIFFERENT than God causing somebody to do something.

Is this the correct teaching of Calvinists?
This is what they teach but they cannot explain the difference. Some have tried but not without contradicting themselves. Calvinists though, do not believe that one's theology must be rational. They readily accept antinomy and they look cross-eyed at anyone who rejects antinomy. There is a prominent Calvinist with a nation wide radio program (I wish I could recall his name! He's the really nice and pleasant sounding guy, with a medium low voice tone and who is real informal and relaxed on his show. I sort of picture him as a used-to-be hippy who is now in his sixties - anyway...) who thinks that anyone with a brain should expect antinomy to exist all over the place when talking about God because after all, why in the world should we expect to be able to understand God?

So the answer to your question is yes and no. Yes they teach that the two are different but cannot in any way explain how they are different and so they really don't teach that they are different, they just insist that they are. Get it?

Resting in Him,
Clete

GuySmiley

I just finished leaving my mark on the Gene Cook website, for all the good it'll do:

After listening to Gene Cook open phones show about the Open View, I have to conclude he doesn't understand the OV position. (or he's a liar, and just really loves misrepresenting the opposition in order to tear down strawmen)

I think it was particularly laughable when in his call with "Mark" he starts ridiculing Mark for not understanding his schizophrenic view of god where god has two wills that fight against each other. With one will, god decrees that babies should not be murdered. With the other will, god meticulously plans the amount of pain the baby will feel, and gets glory from it.

Now read that last paragraph carefully. Notice how I didn't misrepresent Cook's position to criticise it.
If indeed we (OV'ers and SV'ers) worship a different God, I'm glad my God is big enough to get His way, regardless of the actions of free will agents. It saddens me that Cook's view of God to so small. However I don't believe we worship different gods, I just think Cook is horribly wrong.

I suggest in future debates, that you (Cook) actually take time to learn you opponents position.

Status
Not open for further replies.