ECT Our triune God

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
How does this accord with John 16:7-11?

The Son and Holy Spirit are qualitatively distinct as the two-fold economic procession of God's inherent hypostasis into created sempiternity when/as it was instantiated into existence.

John 16:7-11 doesn't indicate any specific manner of distinction, only designating pronouns. (Personal pronouns are used relative to both persons and beings because they don't and can't distinguish between them. Apart from the paradoxical multi-hypostatic Trinity doctrine, all persons are beings. Personal pronouns are the worst, but most often used, attempted apologetic for multiple hypostases.)

Since the Son and Holy Spirit are hypostatically co-inherent, their qualitative distinction gives them inherent interpenetrating ontology as God's processed nouo-phenomenal hypostasis (and no need for a perichoresis band-aid). The Son is the finite localized person presence, while the Holy Spirit is the omnipresence; and these qualitative distinctions are shared in their co-inherence, and sharing the prosopon.

The functional individuated prosopon for the Holy Spirit in creation has always been intended to ultimately be man to conjoin man to Christ. If I diagramed it and showed all the exegesis and lexicography, you'd see the 3D replacing the historical insufficient 2D.

Jedidiah

So why should I not teach...
Because brand new believers need to be protected from confusing non-canonical and non-historical/innovative ideas about our faith. Especially about God. Right ?
...I am thinking you don't agree with me, and since I can't be wrong, you should sit on the sidelines.
I personally can be "wrong" on the Trinity if I diverge from the historical Cat Lick and Westminster Calvinist Trinity, but this doctrine cannot be wrong as a standard default to teach newbs.

Keep in mind I'm including mainly children when I talk about new believers. You don't want to talk about novel theories on God with a four year old. The four year old may ask how Our Lord and Our Father and the Holy Spirit are all God, and how God is still one, and then you would go ahead and provide more of the default Trinity doctrine. They don't need to know anymore than they ask. The more they ask, the deeper you can take them into the default doctrine. Most four year olds will never even notice it though, is my guess.

Omniskeptical

BANNED
Banned
Since a four year [old] can't understand it, why is it then simple enough of a belief so as to save? God is one version, not three.

Last edited:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Because brand new believers need to be protected from confusing non-canonical and non-historical/innovative ideas about our faith. Especially about God. Right ?
I personally can be "wrong" on the Trinity if I diverge from the historical Cat Lick and Westminster Calvinist Trinity, but this doctrine cannot be wrong as a standard default to teach newbs.

Keep in mind I'm including mainly children when I talk about new believers. You don't want to talk about novel theories on God with a four year old. The four year old may ask how Our Lord and Our Father and the Holy Spirit are all God, and how God is still one, and then you would go ahead and provide more of the default Trinity doctrine. They don't need to know anymore than they ask. The more they ask, the deeper you can take them into the default doctrine. Most four year olds will never even notice it though, is my guess.

are you 5 ? - :patrol:

Lon

Dear Nang, I Can Explain That Scripture If You Cannot, And Any Scripture You Do Not Comprehend, Let Us Understand Together
I was thinking the next verses after that:

John 16:13 Howbeit when he [ekeinos - that one], the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
John 16:14 He [ekeinos - that one] shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
All those outside of the historical Cat Lick and Westminster Calvinist formulations of the Trinity. Three distinct persons, one divine essence, each person is the entire divine essence, etc.

The only problem with this is the English conceptualization of "persons", making them discreet beings; because all persons are beings.

A hypostasis isn't a "person" in any sense that English minds can readily comprehend. I was lost without Christ for 28 years because of this very issue.

Such over-simplification leads to great problems, including the very threshold of salvific faith. Orthodoxy is heterodox in its final result and its representation, especially modern dilutions.

Hypostases are not individuals or persons in any manner of antrhopomorphic context, but that's how they're most often perceived and presented.

The real key is understanding that a mind and will are relative to the nature of a being, not their underlying hypostasis for their outer man. The Logos is functionality, and is relative to ecomony as action; but the faculty as the mind is relative to the nature of the being, itself relative to the brain organ of the body.

Every human being has a body with a brain, and to have a mind is the very nature of every human being. The mind would not be relative to the hypostasis, but the physis; though the functionality of the mind as Logos would be relative to the individual personal susbistence.

God is one ousia (being) with a physis (nature). As is the nature of a human being in His image who have minds, it is God's nature to have Self-consciousness with/as His Self-Existence. So the mind wouldn't be relative to the alleged hypostases as multiples.

Multiple eternal divine minds and wills would be multiple souls as multiple beings. And that's the complaint and accusation of non-/anti-Trinitarians.

The Incarnation means the Son took on a human nature with a rational soul. This means a human mind and will that can't be the foundation for multiple eternal divine minds.

Anybody that ascribes eternal and divine individuated sentient consiousness and volition to the Holy Spirit or the pre-Incarnate Logos/Son is a Tritheist. And this is pervasive and prevalent as a majority understanding.

The English term "person" is the greatest blight ever perpetrated upon the faith, and it was originally mentioned by Origen, and then adopted by Tertullian to thwart Sabellianism. Both were excluded from sainthood, though not for that reason.

I wouldn't teach the orthodox Trinity for any amount of money except to reconcile it to the truth. I was lost for nearly three decades because of it.

Jedidiah

The only problem with this is the English conceptualization of "persons", making them discreet beings; because all persons are beings.

A hypostasis isn't a "person" in any sense that English minds can readily comprehend. I was lost without Christ for 28 years because of this very issue.

Such over-simplification leads to great problems, including the very threshold of salvific faith. Orthodoxy is heterodox in its final result and its representation, especially modern dilutions.

Hypostases are not individuals or persons in any manner of antrhopomorphic context, but that's how they're most often perceived and presented.

The real key is understanding that a mind and will are relative to the nature of a being, not their underlying hypostasis for their outer man. The Logos is functionality, and is relative to ecomony as action; but the faculty as the mind is relative to the nature of the being, itself relative to the brain organ of the body.

Every human being has a body with a brain, and to have a mind is the very nature of every human being. The mind would not be relative to the hypostasis, but the physis; though the functionality of the mind as Logos would be relative to the individual personal susbistence.

God is one ousia (being) with a physis (nature). As is the nature of a human being in His image who have minds, it is God's nature to have Self-consciousness with/as His Self-Existence. So the mind wouldn't be relative to the alleged hypostases as multiples.

Multiple eternal divine minds and wills would be multiple souls as multiple beings. And that's the complaint and accusation of non-/anti-Trinitarians.

The Incarnation means the Son took on a human nature with a rational soul. This means a human mind and will that can't be the foundation for multiple eternal divine minds.

Anybody that ascribes eternal and divine individuated sentient consiousness and volition to the Holy Spirit or the pre-Incarnate Logos/Son is a Tritheist. And this is pervasive and prevalent as a majority understanding.

The English term "person" is the greatest blight ever perpetrated upon the faith, and it was originally mentioned by Origen, and then adopted by Tertullian to thwart Sabellianism. Both were excluded from sainthood, though not for that reason.

I wouldn't teach the orthodox Trinity for any amount of money except to reconcile it to the truth. I was lost for nearly three decades because of it.
Explain for us Our Lord's prayer:
Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.​
Our Lord knew from the Scriptures what was going to happen to Him. He knew what was coming. His human mind apprehended what His human body was about to undergo, from the Scriptures. He knew Isaiah, He knew the Psalms; He quoted one on the Cross.

Explain for us how this man is the Person of the Father.

Cross Reference

All those outside of the historical Cat Lick and Westminster Calvinist formulations of the Trinity. Three distinct persons, one divine essence, each person is the entire divine essence, etc.

If I read you correctly, I wholeheartedly agree! [What a beautiful picture of unity in the Godhead. . . :)]

TFTn5280

I am not opposed to a better, truer articulation/formulation of the Trinity doctrine, even if that means my articulation must change. What I am concerned to do is hold true to what the Scriptures describe as the nature of the relationships within the Trinity. This is essential for obvious reasons, but specifically because those relationships define the way we are to relate both to God and to others.

Example: John 15.9 "As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love," and John 17:23 "I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me."

The nature of the Father's love for the Son sets the criterion for our sanctification (that we may be made perfect), the way in which we are to live in God's love (abide), and the way in which we are to accurately demonstrate that love to the world (that others may know). How do we know the nature of the Father's love for the Son, that we may examine love in our own lives? We may know this by examining the way in which Jesus loved his disciples ("I also have loved you"). Without going into an in depth study on agape, we may immediately conclude that that love was active, other-centered, risky-thus-sacrificial, and that it offered reciprocity ~ in other words, it called forth from the will of its recipients to love in return.

My question to you, PPS, is this: Can your non-hypostatic Father love in this way? Can your one-physis Father-and-Son apape in this way? Please explain how. Specifially, how can your Father, having no individuated economy, will to love the Son in a real and meaningful, relational way? From Scripture we know he does: I would like to know how.

Last edited:

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Explain for us Our Lord's prayer:
Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.​
Our Lord knew from the Scriptures what was going to happen to Him. He knew what was coming. His human mind apprehended what His human body was about to undergo, from the Scriptures. He knew Isaiah, He knew the Psalms; He quoted one on the Cross.

First of all, this is the Incarnate Logos who has taken on a human nature with a rational human soul.

Explain for us how this man is the Person of the Father.

This is back to the horrific English word "person". I have never said, and would never say, the Son is the same "person" as the Father because it's a ridiculous term to use.

In English, by definition and etymology, ALL persons are beings (though all beings aren't persons). Especially if one ascribes sentient volitional consciousness to each as multple souls.

That's Tritheism, and it's the criticism of non-Trinitarians.

God's inherent singular transcendent hypostasis (personal and individual subsistence for existence) processed when/as He instantiated all creation into existence. This hypostasization was the ontological internal Logos as the Son in creation (along with His Spirit); the express image OF God's hypostasis.

The Father has an inherent transcendent prosopon that shines into creation. The Logos has a distinct prosopon in the created heavenly realm; then hypostasized to become Incarnate in the cosmos.

The Son is NOT the Father. But the Son is NOT an individuated quantified hypostasis from the Father. The Son and Holy Spirit are eternal, uncreated, non-modal, non-sequential, simulataneous, concurrent, con-essential, con-substantial, ontologically divine two-fold qualitative hypostatic distinctions, proceessed into creation.

Jedidiah

First of all, this is the Incarnate Logos who has taken on a human nature with a rational human soul.

This is back to the horrific English word "person". I have never said, and would never say, the Son is the same "person" as the Father because it's a ridiculous term to use.

In English, by definition and etymology, ALL persons are beings (though all beings aren't persons). Especially if one ascribes sentient volitional consciousness to each as multple souls.

That's Tritheism, and it's the criticism of non-Trinitarians.

God's inherent singular transcendent hypostasis (personal and individual subsistence for existence) processed when/as He instantiated all creation into existence. This hypostasization was the ontological internal Logos as the Son in creation (along with His Spirit); the express image OF God's hypostasis.

The Father has an inherent transcendent prosopon that shines into creation. The Logos has a distinct prosopon in the created heavenly realm; then hypostasized to become Incarnate in the cosmos.

The Son is NOT the Father. But the Son is NOT an individuated quantified hypostasis from the Father. The Son and Holy Spirit are eternal, uncreated, non-modal, non-sequential, simulataneous, concurrent, con-essential, con-substantial, ontologically divine two-fold qualitative hypostatic distinctions, proceessed into creation.
Does the Holy Spirit also have a distinct prosopon, or just the Father and Son ?

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
I am not opposed to a better, truer articulation/formulation of the Trinity doctrine, even if that means my articulation must change. What I am concerned to do is hold true to what the Scriptures describe as the nature of the relationships within the Trinity. This is essential for obvious reasons, but specifically because those relationships define the way we are to relate both to God and to others.

Example: John 15.9 "As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love," and John 17:23 "I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me."

The nature of the Father's love for the Son sets the criterion for our sanctification (that we may be made perfect), the way in which we are to live in God's love (abide), and the way in which we are to accurately demonstrate that love to the world (that others may know). How do we know the nature of the Father's love for the Son, that we may examine love in our own lives? We may know this by examining the way in which Jesus loved his disciples ("I also have loved you"). Without going into an in depth study on agape, we may immediately conclude that that love was active, other-centered, risky-thus-sacrificial, and that it offered reciprocity ~ in other words, it called forth from the will of its recipients to love in return.

My question to you, PPS, is this: Can your non-hypostatic Father love in this way?

And beyond.

The Father IS a hypostasis, as is the hypostasized qualitatively distinct internal Logos as the external Son. The express image OF God's hypostasis, not another hypostasis. The eternal Logos OF the Father IS the Son. The exact same foundational underlying substantial objective reality as subsistence for existence.

Can your one-physis Father-and-Son apape in this way?

Eternally. One must understand timelessness versus time. There has "never" not been the Son.

Whether you or anyone else ever realizes it or not, all historical formulaics begin post-procession and post-creation and then attempt to account for procession and creation, along with their doctrine for God's constitution while often declaring to have included the created heavenly realm.

Please explain how. Specifially, how can your Father, having no individuated economy, will to love the Son in a real and meaningful, relational way? From Scripture we know he does: I would like to know how.

You don't yet have a grid for it. You've already locked into time-constrained false rhema as the foundation for your logos. Barth was trying to get there with Universal Atonement, but mistook the ontology of creation for our hypostatic faith ontology, etc. And he doesn't have a grid for transcendent timelessness interfacing with sempiternal and temporal time as "everyWHEN".

Right now... By faith-based hypostatic union IN Christ, I'm seated in heavenly places in Christ Jesus, translated into the kingdom of God's dear Son, sheathed in the scabbard of the place (topos) He went to prepare for us, and partaking of God's divine nature.

By this, I'm communing with God in His infinitude and eternality of His immutable transcendent mind and will. By this I am foreknown, and thus participating in my predestination to be conformed to the image of His Son. (Calvinism, Arminianism, Open Theism, Process Theology, and Multiverse Theory, etc. are ALL in the immutable nous of God in His infinity and eternity of simultaneity of Self-Conscious Self-Existence.)

With God, there is no time. Since He's everywhen, by being IN Christ I am communing with Him in trans-creation. His communion with the eternal Son is the same. And the Holy Spirit is his own set-apart Pneuma. The Logos pierced and divided asunder the noumenological from the phenomenological of His inherent transcendent Self AS Spirit to be exhaled into creation, also animating all life by that Breath.

By the Word of the Lord were the heavens made, and all the host of them by the breath of His mouth. Psalm 33:6

Linear sequential time-based doctrine will never represent God's constitution, and will lead to every kind of internal and external false/incomplete belief system, including Pantheism, PanEntheism/PanenTheism, Esotericism, Gnosticism, Sophistrism, and competing formulaics in the Christian faith.

God is apart from time, created time, and now pervades time while being timeless; with His own Logos and Pneuma as multi-omni within creation while "formatted" to the constraints of creation. God Himself remains transcendent TO creation while being immanent IN creation, hypostatically co-inherent to His own processed Logos and Pneuma, which are the Son and Holy (set apart) Spirit.

Your Holy Spirit AS the perichoretic is at least headed in the right direction; but you're still embracing a 2D understanding of a 3D God, bound by time-based thought.

There is no before or after or always or never for God. He IS.

For God, creation has "always" existed, and the Logos has "always" been Incarnate AS the Son. Eternally. (That's because the phenomenological existence of creation was God's noumenon relative to His own infinity and eternity and aseity and persesatisity and phenomenology).

In creation, God dwells in the unapproachable light of His inherent prosopon that lighted creation at the procession of His Logos and Pneuma. The Logos has a prosopon. The Holy Spirit, being hypostatically co-inherent with the Son, shares that prosopon. (Their qualitative distinction is omnipresence versus localized personal presence, obviating the need for an additional perichoresis; the Holy Spirit IS the perichoretic.)

Your God-box is infinitely too small. But it's certainly bigger than most people's.

Last edited:

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Does the Holy Spirit also have a distinct prosopon, or just the Father and Son ?

The processed Logos and Pneuma are qualitative hypostatic distinctions (much like your own logos and pneuma); therefore the localized personal presence (the Son) has a prosopon that is co-inherent with the omnipresent Spirit.

WE are ultimately the co-prosopon of the Holy Spirit, which perichoretically retains us as being hypostatically in the prosopon of Christ for all everlasting after physical resurrection of our human prosopon.

Jedidiah

Is the Father's inherent transcendent prosopon distinct from the Logos's prosopon, or are they the numerically same prosopon ?