Theology Club: Open View and Preterism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Perhaps you are mistaking an early conclusion of preterists for a founding principle--an honest mistake on your part, and one that is strengthened by the things most preterists say. I could be wrong here, too--I don't really know the motivations of preterists.

Preterism holds that the contents of Revelation constitute a prophecy of events that were fulfilled in the 1st century. Preterists believe the dating of the book of Revelation is of vital importance, and that it was written before the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD. Preterism was first expounded by the Jesuit Luis de Alcasar during the Counter Reformation, it affirms all eschatological points of the ecumenical Creeds of the Catholic Church.

Derf

Preterism holds that the contents of Revelation constitute a prophecy of events that were fulfilled in the 1st century. Preterists believe the dating of the book of Revelation is of vital importance, and that it was written before the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD. Preterism was first expounded by the Jesuit Luis de Alcasar during the Counter Reformation, it affirms all eschatological points of the ecumenical Creeds of the Catholic Church.
Thanks, Ktoyou. Do you think there is any merit to their ideas? Maybe not all, but some?

Sent from my Z992 using TheologyOnline mobile app

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Thanks, Ktoyou. Do you think there is any merit to their ideas? Maybe not all, but some?

It seems to justify a transition from Israel, the works of Jesus, to the authority of the Catholic Church. It is not so much a theology, as it is a theological position. One that assumes there was a conclusion to the acts of Jewish Priests, such as they were valid and could be built upon, and, in a way, a new Christian bases of the universal Roman Church, which seems to me to overlook the meaning of God's fulfillment of prophesy to the Jews.

this forum is busy again, cannot respond

Nang

TOL Subscriber
It seems to justify a transition from Israel, the works of Jesus, to the authority of the Catholic Church. It is not so much a theology, as it is a theological position. One that assumes there was a conclusion to the acts of Jewish Priests, such as they were valid and could be built upon, and, in a way, a new Christian bases of the universal Roman Church, which seems to me to overlook the meaning of God's fulfillment of prophesy to the Jews.

AMR is a partial preterist . . . while an ex-Roman Catholic. Do you consider his theological position to be against your beliefs?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
AMR is a partial preterist . . . while an ex-Roman Catholic. Do you consider his theological position to be against your beliefs?

AMR and I have differing theological views, albeit neither of us are Catholic I know his educational background with Jesuit teachings and my formal education was not theology. I would not say I am against his views; we hold to differing theologies

Nang

TOL Subscriber
AMR and I have differing theological views, albeit neither of us are Catholic I know his educational background with Jesuit teachings and my formal education was not theology. I would not say I am against his views; we hold to differing theologies

If you differ about the validity of any kind of preterism, then you must consider his theological views of the Gospel to be against your beliefs.

"Things that differ are not the same" . . . as you Open Theists love to chant.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
If you differ about the validity of any kind of preterism, then you must consider his theological views of the Gospel to be against your beliefs.

"Things that differ are not the same" . . . as you Open Theists love to chant.

hum :think:

Nang

TOL Subscriber

No answer? Not surprising.

I have become sick and tired of anyone who claims to have knowledge of Jesus Christ and His Gospel, while they actively but subversively oppose the Truth and the biblical witness of the sons of God; thereby denying the one true Gospel, while publicly attempting to appear to be part of the Church of Christ, in gross hypocrisy only.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

You like to argue with me for emotional reasons, not to achieve any rational or purposeful reason. You feel you dislike me. For some personal reason, you feel you need to always oppose me. There is no other purpose in this dialogue.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

I have become sick and tired of anyone who claims to have knowledge of Jesus Christ and His Gospel, while they actively but subversively oppose the Truth and the biblical witness of the sons of God; thereby denying the one true Gospel, while publicly attempting to appear to be part of the Church of Christ, in gross hypocrisy only.
I have knowledge of Jesus Christ and His gospel.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
You like to argue with me for emotional reasons, not to achieve any rational or purposeful reason. You feel you dislike me. For some personal reason, you feel you need to always oppose me. There is no other purpose in this dialogue.

And you like to psycho-analyse others, without taking their theological beliefs seriously.

My replies are not emotional, but are spiritual opposition to you, for I observe you play smart and take advantage of given leadership roles, but without repentance continue to endorse a false gospel among us . . even with those you try to hoodwink into thinking you are their spiritual cousin.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
And you like to psycho-analyse others, without taking their theological beliefs seriously.

My replies are not emotional, but are spiritual opposition to you, for I observe you play smart and take advantage of given leadership roles, but without repentance continue to endorse a false gospel among us . . even with those you try to hoodwink into thinking you are their spiritual cousin.

Catholic Preterism is not my theological view; I was responding to derf. I do not believe it completes the fulfillment of prophesy to the Jews. Revelations is the Kingdom fulfillment for all those who die without knowing Christ.

AMR and I have always had a good understanding relationship online.

BTW: I am not going to respond to you again because it takes up space in this thread and is tangential to its purpose.

glorydaz

Cool your jets, Nang. You're about to implode in front of the entire forum.:nuke:

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Catholic Preterism is not my theological view; I was responding to derf. I do not believe it completes the fulfillment of prophesy to the Jews. Revelations is the Kingdom fulfillment for all those who die without knowing Christ.

AMR and I have always had a good understanding relationship online.

BTW: I am not going to respond to you again because it takes up space in this thread and is tangential to its purpose.

You defend the Open Theism/MAD false teachings.

No matter how or who you respond to . . .

Derf

Would that include me as well, since I am claiming to be new to Open Theism?

Status
Not open for further replies.