Only Intellectuals will understand these jokes

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
(found somewhere on the internet)
Why do engineers confuse Halloween and Christmas?

Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

had to google this one

in defense, i was a chemical engineer, not a software engineer :p

A Buddhist monk approaches a hot-dog stand and says, "Make me one with everything."

after receiving his dog, he gives the vendor a ten and asks for change

....and the vendor sez...
Spoiler
true change comes from within :)

journey

Thanks for the laughs. I'll probably have to explain this one:

A police officer was standing on a corner bow-legged. A man finally came up and asked him why he was standing there so bow-legged. The police officer looked down and said, "good grief - someone stole my motorcycle".

genuineoriginal

[MENTION=2365]quip[/MENTION]
I suppose I'm not an intellectual. Life goes on.......
Spoiler

The joke is based on this standard for a binary numeration system, which is why it is for intellectuals:
____
JEDEC Standard 100B.01

The specification cites three prefixes as follows:
kilo (K): A multiplier equal to 1024 (210).
mega (M): A multiplier equal to 1048576 (220 or K2, where K = 1024).
giga (G): A multiplier equal to 1073741824 (230 or K3, where K = 1024).​

People that do not understand binary don't get the joke because they are thinking about the decimal meaning of giga- intead of the binary meaning.
This article from Seagate is helpful in explaining the difference.
_____
Storage capacity measurement standards
Discrepancy between reported capacity and actual capacity
Many people are confused when their operating system reports, for example, that their new 1 Terabyte (1 TB, or 1000 GB) hard drive is reporting only about 931 gigabytes (GB) in usable capacity. Several factors may come into play when you see the reported capacity of a disk drive. Unfortunately, there are two different number systems which are used to express units of storage capacity; binary, which says that a kilobyte is equal to 1024 bytes, and decimal, which says that a KB is equal to 1000 bytes. The storage industry standard is to display capacity in decimal. Even though in binary you have more bytes, the decimal representation of a GB shows greater capacity. In order to accurately understand the true capacity of your disk drive, you need to know which base unit of measure (binary or decimal) is being used to represent capacity. Another factor that can cause misrepresentation of the size of a disk drive is BIOS limitations. Many older BIOS are limited in the number of cylinders they can support.

Motivation for proposed prefixes for binary multiples
In the past, computer professionals noticed that 1024 or 2^10 (binary) was very nearly equal to 1000 or 10^3 (decimal) and started using the prefix "kilo" to mean 1024. That worked well enough for a decade or two because everybody who talked KB knew that the term implied 1024 bytes. However, almost overnight a much more numerous "everybody" bought computers, and the trade computer professionals needed to talk to physicists and engineers and even to ordinary people, most of whom know that a kilometer is 1000 meters and a kilogram is 1000 grams.​

quip

BANNED
Banned
People that do not understand binary don't get the joke because they are thinking about the decimal meaning of giga- intead of the binary meaning.

In my defense the joke does end in "gig" not gigabyte. Perhaps I'm just being a cranky curmudgeon...been arguing with TH too much. ;)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
In my defense the joke does end in "gig" not gigabyte. Perhaps I'm just being a cranky curmudgeon...been arguing with TH too much. ;)
Argument is like a great headline, mostly overstated and generally good for circulation.

genuineoriginal

A neutron walks into a bar.
He orders a beer and asks the bartender how much he owes.
The bartender replies, “For you? No charge.”

genuineoriginal

A physicist, a biologist and a mathematician are sitting outside of a bar when two men walk into the house across the road
Ten minutes later, three men walk out.

The physicist looks confused and says "There must an error in the measurements."
The biologist retorts "No, they must have reproduced!"
To which the mathematician says "If one person goes inside, the house will be empty."

genuineoriginal

A photon checks into a hotel and the bellhop asks him if he has any luggage.
The photon replies "No I’m traveling light."

genuineoriginal

Two chemists walk into a bar, the first orders H2O, the second says “I’ll have H2O too!”
The second chemist dies.

Last edited: