Old style shaving

musterion

Is there anyone else here who shaves with old style shaving equipment? Straights, double edge Gillettes, injectors, soap, mug and brush?

musterion

Satisfactory results? Redness, nicks, irritation? That's why I quit can o'foam and Schick Xtreme 3 about five years ago and haven't looked back.

Granite

Hall of Fame
There's enough barbershops in my area where I can occasionally treat myself to an old school straight razor shave. It feels marvelous...and I'd never in a thousand years try to do it myself.:shocked:

musterion

Straights are very much a learned skill and you can't let your mind wander while using them. I can use them, but it's the upkeep on straights you have to stay on top of that turns me off.

With the right tools and a bit of practice (that's the key), DE shaving is just as effective and far cheaper in the long run than almost any brand of cartridge razor on the market.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I switched to the Sensor Excel when it came out. Of course I reused the Sensor after a few times to confirm it was better. Other than that, no 3, 4, or 5 razors. I am using standard Barbasol shaving cream. I used Edge Gel for tough beards when they sold it.

Last edited:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There's enough barbershops in my area where I can occasionally treat myself to an old school straight razor shave. It feels marvelous...and I'd never in a thousand years try to do it myself.:shocked:

During my senior year at high school, one of the guys in my class came to school with a REALLY horrible rash on the bottom of his face.

Come to find out, he decided to use Nair rather than shaving.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Satisfactory results? Redness, nicks, irritation? That's why I quit can o'foam and Schick Xtreme 3 about five years ago and haven't looked back.

I never get rash or bumps etc. because I use cold water. I heard warm water causes the bumps. No nicks either with Quattro

musterion

My wife uses the Fusion Proglide. It does give a perfect shave even on a week's worth of beard (mine, not hers) but is way too expensive for me. She won't touch the Lady Gillette I bought for her. Meh, to each their own.

musterion

I never get rash or bumps etc. because I use cold water. I heard warm water causes the bumps. No nicks either with Quattro

I know guys who swear by cold. I use hot. I think it more has to do with prep and the kind of soap or cream one uses, but it's all opinion because all skin and beards vary.

musterion

I switched to the Sensor Excel when it came out.

Does Gillette still make Excel carts? They still make the ancient Trac II and Atra so I guess they would, but I've never seen them under the Gillette name, only generics.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned

male-wax.jpg

Lon

I have not used a straight edge. I have used the double blade and liked it(long time ago now). With the price hikes, I am thinking my next set will be back to the old double blade or the like.

I've rarely seen an injector. What are those like, close shave?

Does brand matter, Musterion? Or are they all Gillette? I haven't really looked into it yet, other than thinking about it at this point.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
This:

91RZ1sxR6fL._SY355_.jpg

I don't use it every day, though. I only use it when I've skipped a day or more of shaving. It works great on 2 or more days of growth.

Reactions: Lon

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
I've used a straight edge razor for two years now. It's similar to a woman doing her hair and nails I guess.

It's fun and does a great job.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
What did you use before?

Gillette double blade Costco
After losing the baby fat a couple years back, my beard started getting tougher.

It took about a hundred shaves to get it down to a science.
I use the Japanese feather because the blades are disposable and I can't sharpen a regular blade to the same surgically sharp edge.

You should use one it's good for climate change son!