ohio

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
The Trump administration slashed several environmental and rail regulations while in office, most notably rescinding a 2015 proposal to require faster brakes on trains that were carrying highly flammable or hazardous materials.

The Department of Transportation under Trump justified the rollback with a 2018 analysis arguing the cost of requiring such brakes would be "significantly higher" than the expected benefits of the update.

Even Liberal Newspaper Admits Trump Admin Did Nothing to Contribute to Ohio Train Derailment

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
The source you quoted is outdated. It's from February 26, 2018. The source I quoted is from Feb. 28, 2023.

Try harder.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
The source you quoted is outdated. It's from February 26, 2018. The source I quoted is from Feb. 28, 2023.

Try harder.
The source you quoted is a fraudulent propaganda source. The source I quoted is reputable and the article was published when the event occurred. Try worse.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
The source you quoted is a fraudulent propaganda source. The source I quoted is reputable and the article was published when the event occurred. Try worse.

It's from The Washington Post:

In the wake of the train derailment in East Palestine, Ohio, former President Donald Trump faced criticism for his efforts to roll back regulations that numerous commentators blamed for the disaster. But a review by Glenn Kessler at The Washington Post of the regulatory changes passed by the Trump administration found that none of them could be shown to have contributed to the Feb. 3 accident.
….
The National Transportation Safety Board’s preliminary report noted that the Norfolk Southern train crew had been in the process of trying to respond to an alert about an overheating wheel bearing by slowing the train when it left the tracks, derailing 38 cars, 11 of which contained hazardous materials.

“From our analysis, none of the regulatory changes made during the Trump administration at this point can be cited as contributing to the accident,” wrote Kessler.

In each of these cases, the Post found that the Trump admin’s change was either not relevant or had not been shown to have an effect that could have contributed to the derailment. For example, this specific train did have on board a two-person crew plus an additional trainee, the ethylene oxide regulation change related to plant emissions (not transport), and the investigations so far have not shown any safety or maintenance issue that might have been uncovered by Obama-era regulations that Trump unwound or repealed.

Trump reacted to the Washington Post actually reporting the truth by saying, "Really good investigative journalism by The Washington Post. Keep it going!"