No Longer A Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

brother Willi

Originally posted by wickwoman

Re: Plural Religions = Peace?

I have to agree with Purex on this one. Anyway, the Dali Lama does too.

I see all the different religious traditions as paths for the development of inner peace, which is the true foundation of world peace. These ancient traditions come to us as a gift from our common past. Will we continue to cherish it as a gift and hand it over the the future generations as a legacy of our shared desire for peace?

-His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Plural Religions = Peace?
it would be wrong to think ALL here.

it is true, many faiths main point is to live in peace with each other.
that IS the message Jesus brought us.

but beware to test the spirits.

wickwoman

Originally posted by brother Willi

Plural Religions = Peace?
it would be wrong to think ALL here.

it is true, many faiths main point is to live in peace with each other.
that IS the message Jesus brought us.

but beware to test the spirits.

Can I purchase this test at a drug store?

No, seriously. There is only ONE Spirit in the universe and in my life: God.

brother Willi

Originally posted by wickwoman

Can I purchase this test at a drug store?

No, seriously. There is only ONE Spirit in the universe and in my life: God.
are there beliefs that do not belong to God?

remember that silly song

one of these things is not like the other

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by brother Willi

are there beliefs that do not belong to God?

remember that silly song

one of these things is not like the other

Funny, the song I was thinking of went like "It ain't necessarily so..."

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by granite1010

The divorce...maybe it does. It certainly makes you think when you ask for something, pray for something, get what you want, and then have it taken away. The marriage problem is kind of a double whammy. Getting divorced twice: my religion and my wife.

You wouldn't be "punishing God" for your bad marriage by leaving Christianity would you? I only ask this because I have a brother who was recently divorced. His wife had an affair and you can tell that every fiber in my brother's being is blaming God for letting this happen. He's also mad at his former church for not addressing the situation with her (I can't blame him for this) and wants nothing more to do with church, God and all the rest. He just goes out of his way, in everything he says to make sure that everybody knows that he's mad at God for "letting it happen." His attitude is "I'll show you God! I'm not going to church, I'm not going to give you any glory and I'm going to do whatever I want, making sure that it will be something you wouldn't want me to do because I don't care anymore."

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Poly

You wouldn't be "punishing God" for your bad marriage by leaving Christianity would you? I only ask this because I have a brother who was recently divorced. His wife had an affair and you can tell that every fiber in my brother's being is blaming God for letting this happen. He's also mad at his former church for not addressing the situation with her (I can't blame him for this) and wants nothing more to do with church, God and all the rest. He just goes out of his way, in everything he says to make sure that everybody knows that he's mad at God for "letting it happen." His attitude is "I'll show you God! I'm not going to church, I'm not going to give you any glory and I'm going to do whatever I want, making sure that it will be something you wouldn't want me to do because I don't care anymore."

Well, for one thing, I feel more like I'm the guy who got "punished," if "punishment" is in fact going on. I don't think that's my attitude, though I can relate to your brother's situation (very much so, in fact). My church did not address the problem--the offending party was an elder's son, ha-ha, real cute--but I stayed there, after the incident, for another year. (This happened last May.)

Am I angry about this? Sure. Only woman I ever wanted, only woman I ever dated, for that matter. (Yep. I live a sheltered life.:D) Prayed for her, she got saved, we got hitched. And then, wham. Gee. Thanks.

This didn't help...but more importantly, I was already starting to investige the twisted history of the church, the canon, how much Christianity borrowed from and was influenced by the religions and cults around it. So, with my mind already opened to what "dangerous" books were out there, what happened next was pretty much a good, solid push.

Anyway...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Well, for one thing, I feel more like I'm the guy who got "punished," if "punishment" is in fact going on.
Do you think punishment is going on?

Granite

Hall of Fame
No. And if it is, I'm at a loss to explain what I did to foul things up and have this coming.

Last edited:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

No.
You give this definite answer yet I don't think you're so definite when you follow it with...

And if it is, I'm at a loss to explain what I did last May to foul things up and have this coming.

At the risk of sounding geeky and getting too "mental" on you, I wonder if you need to get real with what really makes you want to turn your back on Christianity especially when you look at the timing. Do you think that God punishes people in this life for mistakes they make? I'm not talking eternal punishment for not accepting him but for everyday mistakes, either big or small.

Granite

Hall of Fame

You give this definite answer yet I don't think you're so definite when you follow it with...

At the risk of sounding geeky and getting too "mental" on you, I wonder if you need to get real with what really makes you want to turn your back on Christianity especially when you look at the timing. Do you think that God punishes people in this life for mistakes they make? I'm not talking eternal punishment for not accepting him but for everyday mistakes, either big or small.

As a former theonomist, I used to believe that what we do has definite "cause and effect" consequences in this life. Not so sure now.

There's a few different ways of looking at what happened:

1) he's there, but he's silent
2) he's there, but he's vindictive
3) he's there and this will eventually make sense...
4) ...despite everything I know about the church's history, the cut-and-paste resulting in the Bible we have today, the lack of archeological evidence for most of the Old Testament, and a church created in no small part by a Roman emperor who murdered his own family
5) I'm missing something
6) none of the above
7) which would mean I'm at a complete loss

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Sozo

Do you think that God punishes people in this life for mistakes they make? I'm not talking eternal punishment for not accepting him but for everyday mistakes, either big or small.
Great question, Poly!

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

As a former theonomist, I used to believe that what we do has definite "cause and effect" consequences in this life. Not so sure now.

4) ...despite everything I know about the church's history, the cut-and-paste resulting in the Bible we have today, the lack of archeological evidence for most of the Old Testament, and a church created in no small part by a Roman emperor who murdered his own family
5) I'm missing something
6) none of the above

What do you think of this option?
He's there and has absolutely nothing to do with bringing about the bad things that happen to people and that bad things happen because of our (or other's) dumb and stupid decisions.

Originally posted by Goose

I thought it would be a couple posts, but it was a very long read. :shocked: It was a good read though.

I know, sorry for the lack of warning, it's like a book :D

The first time I read it I spent a good 4 hours or so in front of the computer screen...

BChristianK

maybe, or He's there, He's talking, but we don't hear Him because we don't want to hear what He is saying...
Happens to me quite a bit.
No, but sometimes we are and we like to blame God for our vindictiveness.
Sometimes it eventually does, sometimes it never does...
Yet for all the conglomeration of manuscripts we have a miraculously coherent work of literature. I think you need to open up your library research on the archeological evidence that does and does not exist on the OT. If you seek out authors that tell you that the OT has no archeological support, your bound to find them, my guess is you passed up books that say the opposite in your search to discredit the archeological evidence.

I'm not saying you shouldn't read those books, go ahead. But if you don't balance your research you will have indoctrinated yourself to their religion (which is mostly secularized atheistic relativism).
5) I'm missing something
Probably, most of us are. I consider myself firmly grounded in my faith and yet I've probably only got the four corners of the puzzle in place.
6) none of the above
Or some of the above.
Not a fun place to be, but not a hopeless place to be either, In my own, God used complete loss to show Himself to me. I know that doesn’t make it any easier.

Man, I wish I could. I’ll pray, really pray, not the “Gee God, this dude seems to be havin’ a tough time lately� prayer before I start the car on my way to work kinda prayer but I’ll set aside an hour this week and pray that God will bring you a bit of light in your darkness.

I’m sorry to hear about your divorce. It sounds like your church has handled the whole situation corruptly and, if I were you, I’d run as far as I could from that church as well.

I think its ok to see that they are hypocrites and liars and thieves and generally unjust judges if you were wronged first in your marriage and then by your church.

But leave all by yourself, I’d follow OEJ’s advice and take Jesus along with you, you might find that going with God is better than going it alone.

Grace and Peace

Granite

Hall of Fame

What do you think of this option?
He's there and has absolutely nothing to do with bringing about the bad things that happen to people and that bad things happen because of our (or other's) dumb and stupid decisions.

So just the good? So no judgment of any kind whatsoever is God's fault if it happens to somebody who calls themself a Christian? Sorry, that seems a little too convenient.

Of course this is coming from an X so maybe I'm a little biased here.

Granite

Hall of Fame
"Yet for all the conglomeration of manuscripts we have a miraculously coherent work of literature."

I take issue with this. We wouldn't talk about discrepancies, contradictions, and absolutely bizarre passages if the Bible was miraculously coherent.

"I think you need to open up your library research on the archeological evidence that does and does not exist on the OT. If you seek out authors that tell you that the OT has no archeological support, your bound to find them, my guess is you passed up books that say the opposite in your search to discredit the archeological evidence."

I've read both sides. Let me put it this way: when all of we know about Persia reveals not a bit about a queen named Esther, when Israel allegedly had 800,000 men who drew the sword when Imperial Rome at its peak never had this many, and when everything we know indicates what the Bible tells us about David and Solomon is probably embellished (if it happened at all), what is one to say or do? I don't want to sidetrack this thread, necessarily, but these are the issues I'm chewing on. Too often I think Christians just nod their heads and take what they read and hear at face value. It's in the Bible; must be true. Well, maybe not. The "maybe" factor constitutes crossing a line that a lot of Christians (even if they doubt) are not willing to approach.

"I’m sorry to hear about your divorce. It sounds like your church has handled the whole situation corruptly and, if I were you, I’d run as far as I could from that church as well."

Trust me, I got out of Dodge without a look back.

PureX

Originally posted by Poly You wouldn't be "punishing God" for your bad marriage by leaving Christianity would you? I only ask this because I have a brother who was recently divorced. His wife had an affair and you can tell that every fiber in my brother's being is blaming God for letting this happen. He's also mad at his former church for not addressing the situation with her (I can't blame him for this) and wants nothing more to do with church, God and all the rest. He just goes out of his way, in everything he says to make sure that everybody knows that he's mad at God for "letting it happen." His attitude is "I'll show you God! I'm not going to church, I'm not going to give you any glory and I'm going to do whatever I want, making sure that it will be something you wouldn't want me to do because I don't care anymore."
This is the tragedy of grown adults holding onto this 'daddy-God / baby-me' conception of the divine that so many churches are promoting these days. They turn their members into intellectual and emotional todlers so that they don't have to deal with any of the real complex and difficult questions. But then when their members ARE confronted by these difficult and complex problems, they don't have the intellectual or emotional maturity they need to draw on to deal with these problems. And then the church just abandons them by blaming them for their "lack of faith". It really is tragic, because people like your brother end up being abanoned by their church at exactly the times that they would need them most.

Status
Not open for further replies.